Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J. Hollinger likes the Cavs over Magic in ECF(espn link)

quote:

1) Cleveland vs. (2) Orlando

Season series: 2-2 split.

Odds say: Magic 60.0%; Cavs 40.0%

Welcome to the real NBA Finals. These have been the league's two best teams all season, and the winner of this series will be an overwhelming favorite to claim its first championship. In 2009, Cleveland breezed in as the top seed before being upset by the Magic in the conference finals, leading to a series of roster overhauls by Cleveland that were made with the express purpose of matching up against Orlando.

It seemed to work: The Cavs won two of the three regular-season meetings that mattered (I'm not including their last meeting), and Shaquille O'Neal was able to contain Dwight Howard enough to limit Orlando's 3-point shooting barrage. The Magic made only 22 of 64 shots from long distance in those three games, and both the quantity and the quality of 3-point attempts were to the Cavs' liking.

My numbers like Orlando because of its dominance down the stretch of the season, but Cleveland was with the Magic step for step in the Power Rankings until Shaq and Anderson Varejao went out. We still haven't seen what the Cavs are capable of with Antawn Jamison, Varejao and O'Neal on the court together, but I suspect the answer is "awesomeness."

Most importantly, the Cavs have the best player in the league. A year ago, James' 38-8-8 series averages weren't enough because Cleveland couldn't stop the Magic at the other end. This time around, he has more help, and I think he gets it done in a seven-game slugfest.

Pick: Cavs in seven

He then takes the Cavs over the Suns in Six for the NBA Championship.

He's also got Magic over Bobcats in Five and ditto for the Hawks series.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...&page=PERDiem-100415

quote:

1) Cleveland vs. (2) Orlando

Season series: 2-2 split.

Odds say: Magic 60.0%; Cavs 40.0%

Welcome to the real NBA Finals. These have been the league's two best teams all season, and the winner of this series will be an overwhelming favorite to claim its first championship. In 2009, Cleveland breezed in as the top seed before being upset by the Magic in the conference finals, leading to a series of roster overhauls by Cleveland that were made with the express purpose of matching up against Orlando.

It seemed to work: The Cavs won two of the three regular-season meetings that mattered (I'm not including their last meeting), and Shaquille O'Neal was able to contain Dwight Howard enough to limit Orlando's 3-point shooting barrage. The Magic made only 22 of 64 shots from long distance in those three games, and both the quantity and the quality of 3-point attempts were to the Cavs' liking.

My numbers like Orlando because of its dominance down the stretch of the season, but Cleveland was with the Magic step for step in the Power Rankings until Shaq and Anderson Varejao went out. We still haven't seen what the Cavs are capable of with Antawn Jamison, Varejao and O'Neal on the court together, but I suspect the answer is "awesomeness."

Most importantly, the Cavs have the best player in the league. A year ago, James' 38-8-8 series averages weren't enough because Cleveland couldn't stop the Magic at the other end. This time around, he has more help, and I think he gets it done in a seven-game slugfest.

Pick: Cavs in seven

He then takes the Cavs over the Suns in Six for the NBA Championship.

He's also got Magic over Bobcats in Five and ditto for the Hawks series.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...&page=PERDiem-100415

The guy who relies on statistical analysis for his entire perspective of the NBA choose to ignore his analysis and pick Cleveland over Orlando on a hunch?

That's almost as comical as hearing Obama claim the government should cut funding for NASA because the private sector can do it more efficiently.

Did the analysis or the hunch pick Pheonix to emerge from the West? Cuz, I'm near certain one of those two functions are broken to ish based upon that prediction!

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

The guy who relies on statistical analysis for his entire perspective of the NBA

Whats the odds of him having a life?

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

The guy who relies on statistical analysis for his entire perspective of the NBA choose to ignore his analysis and pick Cleveland over Orlando on a hunch?

That's almost as comical and hearing Obama claim the government should cut funding for NASA because the private sector can do it more efficiently.

Did the analysis or the hunch pick Pheonix to emerge from the West? Cause, I can claim with near certainty that one of those two functions is broken to ish based upon that prediction!

He did explain why... it really isn't exactly "fair" to use the Cavs' latest games as a measure because they have been resting their starters (or have a few injured) for the end of the season.

I see Cavs/Magic going into a 7 game series and game 7 really could go either way.

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

Throw out the last game but ignore the fact that in the first game we were missing a coldblooded cav killer?

+1.

And he showed in up Game 3, to kill the doubters out there.

oh, and LOL at Pheonix making the finals. Not a chance.

quote:
Originally posted by JasonLynx:

First 2 games were also back-to-backs for us.

When u look at the cavs schedule ...talk about most rested?

Nothing wrong with picking the Cavs...They are a good team. I would be upset if he picked them in 4 or something like that but at least he has it going down to the wire...Personally I hope Lebron never wins a title. If he does I think his head might explode.