Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Redick featured in Hollinger Daily Dime; Redick's market(upd. pg. 2,3)

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

All I'm gonna say is thank goodness J.J.'s a restricted free agent instead of an unrestricted free agent!

I think even if he was unrestricted, both sides would still get a deal done. Outside looking in, JJ seems to really like Orlando and playing for the Magic under Stan's direction. He's finally comfortable and is getting good PT. Also, JJ is a smart guy and knows that playing with Dwight makes things so much easier. Sure, might be able to go get more PT somewhere else, but we're WINNING...and his production is helping that cause. Players love to feel important to a team's success.

As long as we offer him a fair contract, I doubt he ventures out.

J.J. is a solid role player off the bench. For the right price, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't resign him. His work ethic shows how serious he takes the game of basketball, and that's invaluable in the pros.

What I'm afraid of is one of the teams with all that capspace might throw a terrible contract at JJ after they miss out on most of the big free agents and need to get a few roleplayers to justify the capspace to their fans.

6 Million Dollars a year or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

J.J. is a solid role player off the bench. For the right price, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't resign him. His work ethic shows how serious he takes the game of basketball, and that's invaluable in the pros.

but if it came down to keeping barnes or keeping redick... what do you do?

SOPHIE'S CHOICE!

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

SOPHIE'S CHOICE!

I love Barnes. I want to keep him just as bad as the next guy. But with rumors and chatter around here that he wants/deserves the full MLE, I can't agree with that. I can only think back to James Posey when I hear that, and how his production went down after getting paid. Plus, he is on the wrong side of 30. I think he's worth more then he's getting paid now, but not MLE type money. Sorry.

quote:

quote:

quote:

SOPHIE'S CHOICE!

I love Barnes. I want to keep him just as bad as the next guy. But with rumors and chatter around here that he wants/deserves the full MLE, I can't agree with that. I can only think back to James Posey when I hear that, and how his production went down after getting paid. Plus, he is on the wrong side of 30. I think he's worth more then he's getting paid now, but not MLE type money. Sorry.

alright, but i think he does alot for the team when it comes to defense and speed/length at that position in our system despite his age. his complaint at the end of the atlanta game is that he didn't get to play down the stretch, under van gundy/otis smith's system he's useful, under some team with the MLE, he's not as useful, i hope he stays for under the MLE, would you then consider keeping him for 3 or 4 years in that instance? or is he just too old for you?

and yes i know he'll run for money, i'd do the same thing, we all would.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SOPHIE'S CHOICE!

alright, but i think he does alot for the team when it comes to defense and speed/length at that position in our system despite his age. his complaint at the end of the atlanta game is that he didn't get to play down the stretch, under van gundy/otis smith's system he's useful, under some team with the MLE, he's not as useful, i hope he stays for under the MLE, would you then consider keeping him for 3 or 4 years in that instance? or is he just too old for you?

and yes i know he'll run for money, i'd do the same thing, we all would.

Absolutely. Read what I wrote. I just don't think he's worth the FULL MLE at this point in his career.

The Magic should sign J.J White, who is averaging 25.3 pts at 53% shooting/12.4 assists/5 rebounds/4.7 steals a game. That guy's a beast.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

The Magic should sign J.J White, who is averaging 25.3 pts at 53% shooting/12.4 assists/5 rebounds/4.7 steals a game. That guy's a beast.

You're a menace to society.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

You're a menace to society.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE AT NETFLIX OR SOMETHING U LLAMALOSER

The case of JJ Redick is an interesting one. He was obviously a complete stud in college, often unstoppable. He became known nation-wide for his confidence and ****iness, and he seemed to savor every moment of quieting his doubters. Then, he came to the NBA and was relegated to the end of the bench by one of the most stubborn coaches the NBA has seen - Brian Hill. He whined and complained at first, feeling entitled to a better shot. Finally, Hill broke his spirit, and he resigned himself to quietly working hard in an empty gym to improve. Well, eventually, under a new coach, he gets his chance, but he's a different guy. Gone is the villain who loved to shove it in the face of his opponents, replaced by a quiet and humble guy who writes poetry and hangs out with Adonal Foyle at museums on days off. Strange transformation.

In terms of playing style, he actually would be a great fit with the starting line-up. Jameer excels when handling the ball in the pick and roll. Barnes loves to cut through the lane for open lay-ups. Rashard often finds himself camped at the arc, waiting for a kick out. And Dwight is developing the game that demands the ball. In all, there are 2 ball dominant guys (Jameer, Dwight), 2 complimentary scorers (Barnes, Lew), and our shooting guard. Currently, we have Vince, who has struggled between both classifications. We don't need another ball dominant player, but we do need a true scorer at the 2. To me, that means a guy like Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, or Rip Hamilton, who can tear a team apart by running off screens and hitting jump shots. That is exactly JJ's game. Is he as good as those guys? No, but he definitely fits into that mold.

Unfortunately for Mr. Clay, he usually fins himself subbing in for Vince, and he can't just be plugged into the same from that Vince fills. He isn't an iso player, never will be. He's gotten a lot better at the pick and roll, but that clearly isn't his strength. He is best when he's running around screens like a mad man, opening space for a quick shot.

Long story short, if properly utilized (which he has been a lot more this season), JJ is a GREAT fit for this team, and should be kept. We can only hope, with improved performance over the long term, that college fire will return.