Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

What is Missing?

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't doubt it if SVG was making sure the SL was playing together for most of the time (instead of putting some out there with bench players) in order for them to be as comfortable as possible playing with each other. I'm sure during the playoffs we will never see the all-bench lineup together in the court.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

As a backup scoring threat, who would you best compare Jameer's game to, Smack?

Do you mean coming off the bench? Or are you refering to remaining with the starters and stepping up when called upon to score (a la last night)?

On a semi-related side note: I was pretty impressed with Stan's decision making last night. Dwight was owning the Cavs until they started bring the double teams in the 4th quarter (so much for Shaq's proclamation that he could be effective defensively man on man), and then SVG draws up the VC & Meer pick and roll that I don't recall seeing much of this season, if at all. Wow! The results were a thing of beauty to behold. Two struggling players feeding off of one another to seal a very big victory. I was impressed.

I guess I'm alone in this, but I see no reason for Jameer to be on the bench. IMO, switching him and Jwill in the starting lineup is, at best, a step sideways. In terms of Jameer's play, I think it's more an issue of gameplanning than role.

His problem is the same as Vince's in a way. Hollinger said in his chat yesterday that Vince is at his best when he's attacking. I think you can expand that. Vince is capable of playing off the ball. So is Jameer. But both of them play better when someone is attacking, and they're at their best when BOTH of them are attacking. We pulled away when they started playing the two man game, and Williams squared had no idea how to cover them.

Honestly, if Stan is going to stick with the current rotation of Dwight sitting from around the 9min mark of the second to the 5min mark of the second, I'd like to see Jameer and Vince both coming back in at that time. Dwight should ALWAYS be the focus of offense when he's in, but having Jameer and Vince in while Dwight sits would give us some offense during that time, and they could both focus on penetration and kickouts.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I guess I'm alone in this, but I see no reason for Jameer to be on the bench. IMO, switching him and Jwill in the starting lineup is, at best, a step sideways. In terms of Jameer's play, I think it's more an issue of gameplanning than role.

His problem is the same as Vince's in a way. Hollinger said in his chat yesterday that Vince is at his best when he's attacking. I think you can expand that. Vince is capable of playing off the ball. So is Jameer. But both of them play better when someone is attacking, and they're at their best when BOTH of them are attacking. We pulled away when they started playing the two man game, and Williams squared had no idea how to cover them.

Honestly, if Stan is going to stick with the current rotation of Dwight sitting from around the 9min mark of the second to the 5min mark of the second, I'd like to see Jameer and Vince both coming back in at that time. Dwight should ALWAYS be the focus of offense when he's in, but having Jameer and Vince in while Dwight sits would give us some offense during that time, and they could both focus on penetration and kickouts.

I have no problem with this. I am in favor of any adjustment that gets Jameer more involved offensively, which was the position my posts were generated from. The team needed Jameer to be more involved offensively because his entire worth to out team starts there, and the natural preliminary thought along those lines with Dwight, Shard & VC all needing shot attempts with the first unit, was to move Meer to the second unit to take advantage of his biggest strength (scoring while dominating the ball).

Last night's adjustment to get both Jameer & VC involved was refreshing and I hope to see more.

I ask this because I'm trying to think of a player today, a current contender for the 6th man award, who plays on a bench that features as many offensive weapons as Orlando's. And I can't.

You look at the prominent bench scorers in the league like Terry, Crawford, and Gordon, and you realize that they don't have to contend with anyone on their bench for offensive touches. Terry plays on a bench with Barea, Najera, and occasionally Beaubois. Crawford plays with Pachulia, Teague, and Mario West. Gordon is somewhat of an exception, he put up points despite having to share the ball with other bench scorers like Vilannueva and Bynum, but that was partially because Detroit relied so heavily on their bench to produce scoring. It's no coincidence that once Rip and Tayshaun returned, Gordon has struggled mightily to put points on the board.

My point is, there are only so many shots to go around. Moving Jameer to the bench, a bench as potent as ours, isn't going to maximize his offensive talent. This team simply has too many scoring options for one player to assume a Gordon-like role. If anything, Jameer has to play like he's our 3rd or perhaps even 2nd option for this team to reach it's full potential.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Just wanted to check -

VC & Shard combine to take 29.9 shot attempts per 36min

JJ & Anderson combine to take 25.2 shot attempts per 36min

These are the shot attempts per game

Shard-14.9

VC-14.3

Nelson-10.4

Dwight-10.1

MP-7.3

Barnes-6.8

JJ-6.5

Anderson-6.5

Jwill-5.6

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

I ask this because I'm trying to think of a player today, a current contender for the 6th man award, who plays on a bench that features as many offensive weapons as Orlando's. And I can't.

You look at the prominent bench scorers in the league like Terry, Crawford, and Gordon, and you realize that they don't have to contend with anyone on their bench for offensive touches. Terry plays on a bench with Barea, Najera, and occasionally Beaubois. Crawford plays with Pachulia, Teague, and Mario West. Gordon is somewhat of an exception, he put up points despite having to share the ball with other bench scorers like Vilannueva and Bynum, but that was partially because Detroit relied so heavily on their bench to produce scoring. It's no coincidence that once Rip and Tayshaun returned, Gordon has struggled mightily to put points on the board.

My point is, there are only so many shots to go around. Moving Jameer to the bench, a bench as potent as ours, isn't going to maximize his offensive talent. This team simply has too many scoring options for one player to assume a Gordon-like role. If anything, Jameer has to play like he's our 3rd or perhaps even 2nd option for this team to reach it's full potential.

Perhaps the solution is to play Jameer extended minutes so that he gets more shot attempts when some of our bigger guns are resting on the bench as DOM suggested, this way we can utilize both VC & Jameer more effectively.