Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Official Free Agency thread

I really think vince would be a good option if he would take a pay cut, because him playing top notch for about 3 more years and all along he is teaching ariza how to be that perimeter scorer. Then when he decides to retire or he wants to be in a backup role he can pass the torch to ariza. I really think ariza can become another vince carter if his jump shot gets better, because he already has the high flying ability and also the ability to get into the lane and take it to the hole.

If the Magic overpay for Vince (which is what teams have to do in many cases to lure the player) they need to work out a contract similiar to Ben Wallace's and Kirk Heinrich. These contracts decrease every year and would offer the Magic more cap relief on the back end.

The only snag here is after signing Darko, the Magic would have to give a lot of contracts to the Nets to sign Vince for the 15 mil range.

I thought this might be helpful. It's a breakdown of Max salaries based on yrs in the league. This will give us an idea of what each player would cost us.

And here are the maximum salaries:

Years in NBA** Defined maximum salary 2005-06

2006-07

0 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

1 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

2 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

3 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

4 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

5 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

6 $9,000,000 or 25% of cap* $12,000,000 $12,455,000

7 $11,000,000 or 30% of cap* $14,400,000 $14,946,000

8 $11,000,000 or 30% of cap* $14,400,000 $14,946,000

9 $11,000,000 or 30% of cap* $14,400,000 $14,946,000

10+ $14,000,000 or 35% of cap* $16,800,000

$17,437,000

* whichever is greater. They use a different cap calculation to determine the maximum salaries, which is based on 48.04% of projected BRI. For example, even though the actual salary cap for 2005-06 is $49.5 million the 0-6 year maximum salary is $12 million, not $12.375 million. Note that as with the salary cap itself, they appear to have used hard figures for 2005-06, rather than applying their formula.

** A player is credited with a year of service for each season in which he is on a team's active list or inactive list for at least one day during the regular season.

In addition, up to 30% of a player's compensation can be deferred. Deferred compensation is included in team salary in the season in which it is earned, not the season in which it is paid.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#8

Vince-9yrs going on 10

Rashard-9yrs going on 10

Gerald-6yrs going on 7

I think someone posted the bottom half of this that spoke about J-Rich. This info is from Ford's blog and speaks about Pietrus-

"Pietrus said he's looking forward to testing the free agent waters this summer. He enjoyed playing for Don Nelson this year, saying it was "the most fun I've ever had playing basketball." But Pietrus said he's very concerned that Nelson will retire this summer -- a belief that several well-placed sources in the gym also held.

"I want to go to a place where I know I have a role and where I can improve my game," Pietrus said.

Ok with all of the cap talk maybe the target isn't starting with Vince and working it's way down. What if a guy like Pietrus is a fall back from say Wallace? I know it's not what we all invisioned but watch SA has me thinking. Who have their 2-3's been through their title runs? Bowen, Jackson, Ginobili, Finley, stop me if I missed any. If the strategy is to build around Dwight and Darko, is it really possible to grab a big time wing guy? Or is it more likely that we get a lower level guy like the ones SA has been using?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Ok with all of the cap talk maybe the target isn't starting with Vince and working it's way down. What if a guy like Pietrus is a fall back from say Wallace? I know it's not what we all invisioned but watch SA has me thinking. Who have their 2-3's been through their title runs? Bowen, Jackson, Ginobili, Finley, stop me if I missed any. If the strategy is to build around Dwight and Darko, is it really possible to grab a big time wing guy? Or is it more likely that we get a lower level guy like the ones SA has been using?

I think that could be very possible and it might make sense based on Otis saying that he would like to get two free agents this summer. It would at least give us more flexibility in the future to adjust and re-tool as needed. It is much easier to move $6M type contracts and get equal value in return than it is $12M+ contracts. My biggest fear is that we spend the money on one guy because we can and that guy ends up being a bust. That could cripple us just like Grant Hill did. This happens to a team every year. Cleveland broke the bank with Hughes, New Orleans with Stojakovic, Denver with Kenyon martin, and so on. Sometimes making the unpopular decision of bypassing top named guys for quality depth is wise. The un-informed fans will be angry at first but it makes long term business sense.

That's true everyone wants to have a big name but is that really what is best? Dwight drew a ton of double teams last season, all we really need is reliable people to make the other team pay when they double.