Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Trading Vince Update on Pg. 14(Chad Ford)

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkSide:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

You know, I remember a few years ago Otis could've had VC at the deadline if he dealt Ariza and Darko to the Nets. He turned it down and called Vince "fool's gold."

That's a myth. Go read the full quote in context. He didn't call Vince fool's gold.

On Feb. 22, 2007, Smith said: "I'm not going to take a step back and fall for what I call fool's gold. It shines and it glitters, but it just doesn't stick or pass the test."

So in response to my statement that you need to read the statement in context, you quote it out of context again?

The TRADE was fool's gold, not Vince specifically. And no, it's not the same thing.

The trade that's fools gold was FOR Vince Carter. I don't understand how it was fool's gold at the time when Vince was a younger more productive player, but now that he's old and losing it it's not.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

"The comment was made in the context of trade deadline talks, but also carried with it an indication of how Smith generally feels about Carter."

That's author supposition.

If I tell you your shirt is nice, and someone writes that my saying that meant that I was in love with you, the fact remains that all I said was your shirt was nice.

i know

quote:

Also, someone remind me when Rafer Alston did anything but suck in last year's playoffs. I must not be remembering it right. I mean, I remember 12/2/4 on 38% shooting, but based off the descriptions of the totally awesome vet. point guard we gave up, I must be remembering wrong.

People misremember his playoff performance because he was night and day as far as games go. One game he would be pretty **** good, the next he would be equally abysmal.

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkSide:

quote:

quote:

You know, I remember a few years ago Otis could've had VC at the deadline if he dealt Ariza and Darko to the Nets. He turned it down and called Vince "fool's gold."

That's a myth. Go read the full quote in context. He didn't call Vince fool's gold.

On Feb. 22, 2007, Smith said: "I'm not going to take a step back and fall for what I call fool's gold. It shines and it glitters, but it just doesn't stick or pass the test."

So in response to my statement that you need to read the statement in context, you quote it out of context again?

The TRADE was fool's gold, not Vince specifically. And no, it's not the same thing.

The trade that's fools gold was FOR Vince Carter. I don't understand how it was fool's gold at the time when Vince was a younger more productive player, but now that he's old and losing it it's not.

you're missing it...

quote:

It was fool's gold because it wasn't worth the gamble at the time to trade two of our more prominent young players in exchange for a 30-year-old All-Star, when we weren't close to being contenders, with or without Carter. We were still rebuilding.

That would have left us with a lineup of:

Nelson/Dooling/Arroyo

Carter/Bogans

Hill/Turk

Battie/Augustine

Howard/Outlaw

You tell me how that'd fair against Detroit.

How did this become a JJ bashing thread? Had nothing to do with anything. Get over yourselves already.

I think you are the same guys who bashed Courtney for missing the game winning lay up in the playoffs. I felt bad for him when he got traded and said so but as the days passed by he failed to understand that it's a business and he failed to understand that the Nets wanted him and not JJ. For that he should have been grateful. If he did not make the most of his time with the Nets, then shame on him. He could have found himself benched this season. If Magic management wanted to keep him they would have. Apparently he doesn't fit the grandiose plan.

For the inquiring minds, PEC and I are not the same person. Sorry to break your heart.

quote:
Originally posted by Lawyers/Guns & Money:

JJ bashing thread? You sound a little too sensitive to me because I sure haven't seen much of that on this thread. You sure sound like PEC to me.

I know, right? I was thinking the same thing.

vince carter sucks, what a disasterous trade this has turned out to be, we are at best a distant 3rd in the east now (maybe even 4th), but even more, the team isnt even fun to watch anymore

vince carer sucked the magic out of the team so to speak, i hope we can unload him on someone but i doubt anyone would want him at this point

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Also, someone remind me when Rafer Alston did anything but suck in last year's playoffs. I must not be remembering it right. I mean, I remember 12/2/4 on 38% shooting, but based off the descriptions of the totally awesome vet. point guard we gave up, I must be remembering wrong.

People misremember his playoff performance because he was night and day as far as games go. One game he would be pretty **** good, the next he would be equally abysmal.

1236810533385.jpg