Originally posted by M4G1C:

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:

quote:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/t...hine?tradeId=2fmm7hf

why would the hawks do this? why would we do this? why would 2 teams in the same division who finished 1,2 help the other get better?

The Hawks would benefit from acquiring a starter caliber center on the rise (Gortat) and a scorer that can help them win games. They need someone to put the ball in the basket from the 2 spot when Joe Johnson leaves, or to at least help an incoming FA.

The Hawks are in dire need of a big that can be effective from the center position and Oden isn't reliable at all. Oden has played well while healthy, but we all know that he is VERY injury prone. Horford is a natural PF playing at the center position and it is a high priority to get him playing in his rightful position. The Hawks also benefit from gaining a banger in the post (Bass) that they can utilize (remember how much value Bass had in the market last offseason).

The Magic take in an absolute athlete and close friend to Dwight Howard (Smith). Can you imagine the defense our team would have with both Dwight and Josh Smith patrolling the cup? He is a high flier with a mid range jumper and his post game continues to improve.

We also acquire Marvin Williams, a successful wing that can start if need be. He has a terrific outside shot and can score at the rim as well. He is a solid defender that would fit well into our lineups.

And Zaza...we can utilize him when Dwight gets into foul trouble or when he needs a rest. He is a serviceable backup that will be willing to get rough in the paint. He can create fouls and dish them out as well.

still doesn't answer the question as to why either teams do this trade when we're in the same division. it doesn't make sense for either side.

The Hawks are basically rebuilding. They may be in denial of this, but they need to face facts. Joe Johnson is probably not coming back and they were already shopping Josh Smith. They need to go hard on this FA pool or bust OR trade with a team that can better themselves. IMO, in this situation, it boils past being in the same division. We see that the Hawks are changing the faces of their franchise, and we can take advantage of some of their weapons that are most likely going to leave.

If you were the Hawks, why wouldn't you want to have a veteran scorer in Carter who could accept a lesser role (well, what does he expect after that playoff performance) alongside a FA acquisition? How do you deny two stud big men, one of which can start for your team immediately? Not to mention Gortat is working his *** off this summer to become a better player and further his potential.

nobody is going to want to pay carter the kind of money he's making for a full season. at the deadline it will be easier since he's expiring but not right now.

it's always funny to see people who want to see a player leave because he did not play well pretend like he could be a valuable piece to a rebuilding team when he wasn't a valuable piece to a contending team. carter does not have any value besides his expiring contract. period.

nobody knows what gortat is doing right now so to say he's working hard right now seems foolish.

if you were the gm of the hawks and otis offered you this trade, you'd probably laugh 9 times out of 10 a deny it 10 times out of 10. unless the hawks are hell bent on shedding salary then this isn't going to happen.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/t...hine?tradeId=2fmm7hf

why would the hawks do this? why would we do this? why would 2 teams in the same division who finished 1,2 help the other get better?

The Hawks would benefit from acquiring a starter caliber center on the rise (Gortat) and a scorer that can help them win games. They need someone to put the ball in the basket from the 2 spot when Joe Johnson leaves, or to at least help an incoming FA.

The Hawks are in dire need of a big that can be effective from the center position and Oden isn't reliable at all. Oden has played well while healthy, but we all know that he is VERY injury prone. Horford is a natural PF playing at the center position and it is a high priority to get him playing in his rightful position. The Hawks also benefit from gaining a banger in the post (Bass) that they can utilize (remember how much value Bass had in the market last offseason).

The Magic take in an absolute athlete and close friend to Dwight Howard (Smith). Can you imagine the defense our team would have with both Dwight and Josh Smith patrolling the cup? He is a high flier with a mid range jumper and his post game continues to improve.

We also acquire Marvin Williams, a successful wing that can start if need be. He has a terrific outside shot and can score at the rim as well. He is a solid defender that would fit well into our lineups.

And Zaza...we can utilize him when Dwight gets into foul trouble or when he needs a rest. He is a serviceable backup that will be willing to get rough in the paint. He can create fouls and dish them out as well.

still doesn't answer the question as to why either teams do this trade when we're in the same division. it doesn't make sense for either side.

The Hawks are basically rebuilding. They may be in denial of this, but they need to face facts. Joe Johnson is probably not coming back and they were already shopping Josh Smith. They need to go hard on this FA pool or bust OR trade with a team that can better themselves. IMO, in this situation, it boils past being in the same division. We see that the Hawks are changing the faces of their franchise, and we can take advantage of some of their weapons that are most likely going to leave.

If you were the Hawks, why wouldn't you want to have a veteran scorer in Carter who could accept a lesser role (well, what does he expect after that playoff performance) alongside a FA acquisition? How do you deny two stud big men, one of which can start for your team immediately? Not to mention Gortat is working his *** off this summer to become a better player and further his potential.

nobody is going to want to pay carter the kind of money he's making for a full season. at the deadline it will be easier since he's expiring but not right now.

it's always funny to see people who want to see a player leave because he did not play well pretend like he could be a valuable piece to a rebuilding team when he wasn't a valuable piece to a contending team. carter does not have any value besides his expiring contract. period.

nobody knows what gortat is doing right now so to say he's working hard right now seems foolish.

if you were the gm of the hawks and otis offered you this trade, you'd probably laugh 9 times out of 10 a deny it 10 times out of 10. unless the hawks are hell bent on shedding salary then this isn't going to happen.

lol well what would I do the 1 out of 10 times that I didn't laugh?

I knew it wasn't a trade that we could get hands down and I know it's a far cry from what the Hawks are looking for this offseason. I just wanted to open the floodgates to the thought of successfully grabbing Josh Smith...it seems like he doesn't get much attention while he could be a key piece to a championship team

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

Vince Carter will be on a Magic uniform when the season begins. Enough with the "Trade Carter for X player"

Says who? You or anyone else doesn't know what is going to happen. Last year nobody on this forum, myself included, saw a trade for Vince Carter coming. Nobody knows what really is going to happen. It's the offseason, fans will want to discuss our roster and how we can improve it, so nobody is going to stop the talks especially considering Vince could potentially be a tradeable asset with the big salary that could expire.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

quote:

Vince Carter will be on a Magic uniform when the season begins. Enough with the "Trade Carter for X player"

Says who? You or anyone else doesn't know what is going to happen. Last year nobody on this forum, myself included, saw a trade for Vince Carter coming. Nobody knows what really is going to happen. It's the offseason, fans will want to discuss our roster and how we can improve it, so nobody is going to stop the talks especially considering Vince could potentially be a tradeable asset with the big salary that could expire.

And who is going to take him? Vince Carter will probably be traded by the deadline in Feb 2011, but he'll start the season with us

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

quote:

And who is going to take him? Vince Carter will probably be traded by the deadline in Feb 2011, but he'll start the season with us

I think he's saying that you don't know have the information to be 100% sure. This offseason is most likely going to be the most unpredictable, with the FA fiasco and all the personnel changes within in the NBA. Point is, you never know for sure.

(My fault for originally creating a new thread, I totally wasn't paying attention to stickys)

I was talking to a buddy, and discussing moves that Orlando could make to improve ourselves this season. I got to thinking about some possible guards we could go after, since the likes of LeBron, Wade, and probably Joe Johnson are off limits. I started thinking - "what about Monta Ellis?"

GS just drafted Stephen Curry, which is essentially the same player as Ellis. I've been out of the Bay Area for 2 1/2 years now, so I've been out of the loop on Warrior basketball, but I seem to recall talk of the Warriors wanting to move Monta, especially now that they have Curry. They are a rebuilding team, which could mean that Vince Carter's expiring could be appealing.

Am I just completely off my rocker here with thoughts of Monta Ellis? Is there some potential in a deal like this?

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

(My fault for originally creating a new thread, I totally wasn't paying attention to stickys)

I was talking to a buddy, and discussing moves that Orlando could make to improve ourselves this season. I got to thinking about some possible guards we could go after, since the likes of LeBron, Wade, and probably Joe Johnson are off limits. I started thinking - "what about Monta Ellis?"

GS just drafted Stephen Curry, which is essentially the same player as Ellis. I've been out of the Bay Area for 2 1/2 years now, so I've been out of the loop on Warrior basketball, but I seem to recall talk of the Warriors wanting to move Monta, especially now that they have Curry. They are a rebuilding team, which could mean that Vince Carter's expiring could be appealing.

Am I just completely off my rocker here with thoughts of Monta Ellis? Is there some potential in a deal like this?

A Monta/Jameer backcourt would be too small and never work, he makes too much money, and he has a reputation of being a selfish player with a poor attitude.

I would like Anthony Randolph though. Getting him, might be worth taking on Maggete's contract.

Do you think the warriors would part with randolph? He has tonnes of upside.

Maggette: 9,600,000

Randolph: 1,965,720

Ellis: 11,000,000

Total: 22,565,720

Gortat: 6,322,320

Carter: 17,300,000

Anderson: 1,409,040

Total: 25,031,360

You wouldn't think that Warriors would fall for that. But maybe a little more enticing:

(Turk) Trade exception:

Maybe having to take on Biedrins 9mil over the next 4 years, You know they would want to rid themselves of that contract, and I think it would be worth it for both teams. Goldenstate get a starting center (cheaper than Biedrins) get a all star Shooting guard that is expiring and a pospect backup Power forward. They rid themselves of 29mil of contracts per season.

Magic get a starting small forward, a starting power forward and shooting guard..

And before you question Ellis work ethic, just think which person has been his coach and whether that should count for anything.

Anyways this won't happen but I thought it had ten times more chance than anything else that had been mentioned here, nice work NELL2THAIZZAY