Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Dwight Howard

I'm not gonna lie

Survival of the fittest doesn't necessarily mean the survival of the strongest individual. Being cooperative and working best with others can factor in with survival. I watch your back, and you will watch mine. We are both more likely to survive.

quote:
That is his "theory". Its untestable. Completely. That is the point of a theory.

No, and you still refuse to learn what an actual theory is.

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.

3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.

4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.

5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.

6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

Now considering that we are currently talking about science, and that we have already told you that gravity and germs are also theories, why do you keep saying it is untestable, and that has no evidence or facts to back it? are we going to fly now?

quote:
Why did they survive?

Because they are the fittest.

How do we know they are the fittest?

How is this a circular argument? You turned it into a circle yourself.

Natural selection actually is testable today especially with micro evolution. We see this all the time with viruses that constantly change and evade antidotes we put out.

A better grasping of natural selection is this: In a group of similar animals, they have similar predators, similar diets, and live in a similar environment, if one is better suited for that environment, after a period of time only one type will remain. Some of these is due to predator sights. Some of these is due to mutations that help the animal survive better (like, having a mutation to better reach food, or escape from danger). There are many kind of cases on why an animal would live better in an environment than another while closely being related.

Now if you want a better explanation (and really, I can't explain this too well anyway), you can see here:

Darwin

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Osprey, what is an alternative to evolution that you believe is correct, and what is the evidence supporting it?

I have my own set of beliefs, that I know as well are untestable. Faith is untestable in a scientific sense. I'm not denying that.

My issue is that we teach Darwin's Theory to children as fact.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

quote:
That is his "theory". Its untestable. Completely. That is the point of a theory.

No, and you still refuse to learn what an actual theory is.

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

I'm pretty sure that's what I've been saying a theory is the whole time. REPEATEDLY TESTED. What has Darwin's Theory ever predicted either? How has it been tested?

Have we created a new species in a lab? No.

Have we observed the creation of a new species in nature? No.

Have we found the missing link in the fossil record? No

Have we found millions of transitional fossils? No.

Do animals with advantageous traits survive while others do not? Yes.

Does this mean that new species are formed? No.

The Galapagos Finches with the long beaks could still mate with the shorter-beaked finches. They did not become a separate species.

You can test Einstein's theory of relativity. You can test the Pythagorean Theorem. You cannot test Darwin's theory in the same way you cannot test astrological theories.

quote:
Originally posted by chaney445:

Anti-biotic resistant bacteria is observed in the lab. Insects becoming immune to pesticides is also evolution.

Not Darwin's Theory. No new species were created. The immune insects can and do still mate with non-immune insects.

Your definition of evolution is different that Darwin's. I agree with your definition.

Pythagorean Theorem? What the heck?

For one, not all the things you listed are comparable. You listed a MATH FORMULA.

Second, just because macro evolution cannot be tested the same as other theories, does not mean it can't be tested! What is a test to you, I ask again?

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Osprey, what is an alternative to evolution that you believe is correct, and what is the evidence supporting it?

I have my own set of beliefs, that I know as well are untestable. Faith is untestable in a scientific sense. I'm not denying that.

My issue is that we teach Darwin's Theory to children as fact.

Fair enough.

So what should we teach children?

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Pythagorean Theorem? What the heck?

For one, not all the things you listed are comparable. You listed a MATH FORMULA.

Second, just because macro evolution cannot be tested the same as other theories, does not mean it can't be tested! What is a test to you, I ask again?

It's a theory and can be tested. Regardless if it is a mathematical theory or not.

Do I really need to explain a test to you? Give me an example of a test that proves Darwin's Theory. You can't.