Sign in to follow this  
Natmayo

Meyer steps down

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:
the only news that would hit me harder is death or illness of my friends or family

icon_eek.gif

Sorry, I was really drunk, definitely an overreaction. Tequila and bad news don't go together. It still really, really sucks. I also fully admit that football has entirely too much impact on my life.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Now he is somewhat reconsidering the retirement. Many things being discussed.

its just damage control to possibly save recruiting.

You got me. I really don't think that Urban wants to leave as much as he is concerned about his health and maybe leaving was a knee jerk reaction to it.

There is no doubt that being a big time college coach is a year long grind and its probably very tough on the body and mind.

The thing about maybe taking a year off or more is that it hurts recruiting like you say. No top player wants to go to a school where the program is in flux.

I don't know. It does add drama to all of this though. Keeps the Gators high on the press release.

quote:

quote:

Yeah damage control, hes not going anywhere. I think he realized what a mistake he was making. The guy has stress, he just needs to find a way to deal with it. His heart checked out fine and I think he realized he would probably be more stressed not coaching. This could rally the team, rumor has it almost all if not all juniors want to come back instead of going to the draft. Next years team will probably be even better.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

quote:

Yeah damage control, hes not going anywhere. I think he realized what a mistake he was making. The guy has stress, he just needs to find a way to deal with it. His heart checked out fine and I think he realized he would probably be more stressed not coaching. This could rally the team, rumor has it almost all if not all juniors want to come back instead of going to the draft. Next years team will probably be even better.

You're smart, read between the lines here. He wouldn't have made the statement yesterday if he was healthy. UF's administration had him state now that it's a indefinite leave of absence.

He'll come back "when he's healthy" (he may never be healthy)

earlier today:

Lewis, let me first get it out of the way that we each have our biases and we're each going to look at it in a way that benefits our schools the most.

The reason I fully believe that this is not a ruse is simple. The long-term health and the necessity of getting the right guy as head coach would simply outweigh any results of one recruiting class. There is absolutely no way that UF goes into next year with Steve Addazio as head coach, particularly with how poorly the offense performed this year. There are too many good coaches out there and UF has too much money to not come away with a top coach.

Jeremy Foley is an extremely smart AD. He will not make a mistake (a la Zook) to save one recruiting class. He also knows that in today's world, he will not be able to quietly talk to top coaches without word getting out and totally undermining this whole set up.

My gut tells me he will take some time off, reset his priorities and gain some perspective that will help him deal with his stress. After a month or so, I imagine that a guy with his personality will be bouncing off the walls with restlessness, itching to get back on the field.

Looks like Meyer will take a year off for his stress, we all know two losses in two years can really take a toll on a person.

If Florida really wanted to be dicks, why not hire Bobby Bowden? He wanted one more year to chase JoPa, we wouldn't give it to him. He's pissed, I'm not sure if he's so pissed he wants to stick it to Florida State, but he is indeed pissed.

Definitely not saying it's going to happen, just playing in fantasy land for the moment. What better way for both Florida and Bobby Bowden to stick it to Florida State than to have him on a one year rental while Urban nurses his vagina? The game is in Tallahassee next year, at "Bobby Bowden Field". There's a statue of Bobby Bowden outside of it. We would then see the old ******* standing on the sideline one last time, wearing blue and orange.

I'm a Nole, and I would be extremely pissed, but DAMM that would be good television!

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

Looks like Meyer will take a year off for his stress, we all know two losses in two years can really take a toll on a person.

If Florida really wanted to be dicks, why not hire Bobby Bowden? He wanted one more year to chase JoPa, we wouldn't give it to him. He's pissed, I'm not sure if he's so pissed he wants to stick it to Florida State, but he is indeed pissed.

Definitely not saying it's going to happen, just playing in fantasy land for the moment. What better way for both Florida and Bobby Bowden to stick it to Florida State than to have him on a one year rental while Urban nurses his vagina? The game is in Tallahassee next year, at "Bobby Bowden Field". There's a statue of Bobby Bowden outside of it. We would then see the old ******* standing on the sideline one last time, wearing blue and orange.

I'm a Nole, and I would be extremely pissed, but DAMM that would be good television!

if the gator fanbase was less pompous and spoiled he wouldn't be under so much stress. I remember in 2007 he went 9-4 and a large portion of the fans were calling for his head.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

quote:

You're smart, read between the lines here. He wouldn't have made the statement yesterday if he was healthy. UF's administration had him state now that it's a indefinite leave of absence.

He'll come back "when he's healthy" (he may never be healthy)

earlier today:

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

Do you listen? How is I will almost defintely be back next year translate to I am taking a year off. He basically is taking the bowl game off.