Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Howard's struggles offensively w/ C's are a concern(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I tell you who Stan should really be pissed off with. PATRICK EWING. What the hake is he doing here. Howard post game haven't improved yet. Howard is thinking too much when trying to get his post move going instead of just playing the game and letting it flow. Also he gives up the ball too easy as soon as he sense a double team coming. You really have to question Howard's basketball IQ cause he really doesn't look any smarter than Pietrus out there. And I blame that on coaching. I thinking the Magic need to change big man coaches and get Hakeem Olajuwon here to work with him instead of Pat Ewing. Howard is just so limited on his post moves and that's the real reason he doesn't get the ball more. Stan knows it but he doesn't want to say it. Howard offensive post game/back to the basket game SUCKS. And he only goes off on centers he knows he can outplay. But if it's a good defending big man he struggles. Dominant players know how to still get the job done against good defenders. He doesn't and that's problem. If Howard wants the ball more than he needs to get his skills up and make more free throws. That will end all the hard fouls he gets under the basket. If a defense fouls Howard and put him to the line then that's consider smart basketball. Howard needs to make his freethrows and keep working on his post game so he can get the ball more. Stan doesn't trust him a lot on the offensive side. Either Howard is going to force up a dumb shot, get fouled and miss his freethrows or turnover the ball. That doesn't help the team at all.

How is any of that Ewing's fault? You can't teach BB IQ, maybe Howard is the one not "studying". Howard himself needs to improve. He needs to practice and if his BB IQ is so slow that he can't improve at all, then he needs to work harder.

KIND OF off-topic, that's Hakeem working with Josh Smith. Dude still has moves, we should sign him.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:

I tell you who Stan should really be pissed off with. PATRICK EWING. What the hake is he doing here. Howard post game haven't improved yet. Howard is thinking too much when trying to get his post move going instead of just playing the game and letting it flow. Also he gives up the ball too easy as soon as he sense a double team coming. You really have to question Howard's basketball IQ cause he really doesn't look any smarter than Pietrus out there. And I blame that on coaching. I thinking the Magic need to change big man coaches and get Hakeem Olajuwon here to work with him instead of Pat Ewing. Howard is just so limited on his post moves and that's the real reason he doesn't get the ball more. Stan knows it but he doesn't want to say it. Howard offensive post game/back to the basket game SUCKS. And he only goes off on centers he knows he can outplay. But if it's a good defending big man he struggles. Dominant players know how to still get the job done against good defenders. He doesn't and that's problem. If Howard wants the ball more than he needs to get his skills up and make more free throws. That will end all the hard fouls he gets under the basket. If a defense fouls Howard and put him to the line then that's consider smart basketball. Howard needs to make his freethrows and keep working on his post game so he can get the ball more. Stan doesn't trust him a lot on the offensive side. Either Howard is going to force up a dumb shot, get fouled and miss his freethrows or turnover the ball. That doesn't help the team at all.

How is any of that Ewing's fault? You can't teach BB IQ, maybe Howard is the one not "studying". Howard himself needs to improve. He needs to practice and if his BB IQ is so slow that he can't improve at all, then he needs to work harder.

KIND OF off-topic, that's Hakeem working with Josh Smith. Dude still has moves, we should sign him.

Well if a player isn't having success in a certain area of his game then it most likely always goes back to coaching. Yeah it could be Howard but also it could be Ewing as well. Howard hasn't improved at all on his post game. Does anything Howard does look like anything Pat Ewing has done. Ewing had a hook shot, face up game and good back to the basket game. Howard has none of that. That's a problem. Look at Andrew Bynum. Total different Bynum this season. He actually looks like Kareem was working with him. He does similar moves that Kareem done in his playing days. You can't say the same for Howard. And on top of that Howard BB IQ is low. And it's the little things that he should know but he just doesn't do it and you have to blame that on coaching. Here's one of them and everybody was taught this in little league as a kid. KEEP THE FUKKING BALL HIGH IN THE PAINT. Don't make it easy for defenders to strip you. Apparently he must have missed that lesson. But Ewing is the big man coach so anything Howard does wrong then Ewing has to be held responsible for that.

Howard needs to catch the ball farther away from the paint against the Celtics. Once he catches the ball all the players need to go to the other side of the floor and leave him with the center going 1 on 1 15 feet from the basket. Who ever is guarding him will HAVE to foul to keep Howard from driving right past him. I can't think of a center in the league he can't out run. The adjustment for that would be for the center not to go out more than 10 feet. Howard now would have room to see the defense and make his move.

This is the way defenses play Rondo and I absolutely do not understand why. All he does is comfortably read the defense and make his move because he can't shoot the jumper. It's like no one trying to tackle the runningback until he gets to the line of scrimmage.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:

Well if a player isn't having success in a certain area of his game then it most likely always goes back to coaching. Yeah it could be Howard but also it could be Ewing as well. Howard hasn't improved at all on his post game. Does anything Howard does look like anything Pat Ewing has done. Ewing had a hook shot, face up game and good back to the basket game. Howard has none of that. That's a problem. Look at Andrew Bynum. Total different Bynum this season. He actually looks like Kareem was working with him. He does similar moves that Kareem done in his playing days. You can't say the same for Howard. And on top of that Howard BB IQ is low. And it's the little things that he should know but he just doesn't do it and you have to blame that on coaching. Here's one of them and everybody was taught this in little league as a kid. KEEP THE FUKKING BALL HIGH IN THE PAINT. Don't make it easy for defenders to strip you. Apparently he must have missed that lesson. But Ewing is the big man coach so anything Howard does wrong then Ewing has to be held responsible for that.

That's like blaming a teacher because some dumb student can't get good grades.

But yes, maybe he's just not a good coach, but Howard's BB IQ shows to be so low that I'll continue to blame it on himself until he shows otherwise.

quote:
Originally posted by Magicfan1961:

I don't know what the answer to that is," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We have not been able to establish him in the post against them and it's frustrating because we should be able to. I have to find an answer to that. I'm frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Dwight. I'm frustrated with myself."

SOLUTION: Play BASS with Dwight

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

Howard needs to catch the ball farther away from the paint against the Celtics. Once he catches the ball all the players need to go to the other side of the floor and leave him with the center going 1 on 1 15 feet from the basket. Who ever is guarding him will HAVE to foul to keep Howard from driving right past him. I can't think of a center in the league he can't out run. The adjustment for that would be for the center not to go out more than 10 feet. Howard now would have room to see the defense and make his move.

This is the way defenses play Rondo and I absolutely do not understand why. All he does is comfortably read the defense and make his move because he can't shoot the jumper. It's like no one trying to tackle the runningback until he gets to the line of scrimmage.

Ok so your saying that Howard should go on a Isolation play and have all the other players clear out so Howard can go one on one with Perkins 10-15 ft out? That will not work at all. Howard for one thing isn't a good 10-15 ft offensive player and another thing Perkins already knows that. He knows how to defend Howard. 10-15 ft Howard is trash offensively. Now you want to isolate him one on one with a good defender. I would say no to that. However I would let him do that against the weaker centers in the league. This would be a scary site to see, Man what if Howard had Amare Stoudemire offensive game and Dwight Howard's defensive game. NOW THAT'S BEING DOMINANT. If I was a coach I would feel more comfortable with Amare isolated 10-15ft from the basket than Howard. Cause I know that Stoudemire has a decent midrange game. Howard just doesn't and a lot of good defending centers are picking up on Howard weakness. That's a big problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Magics Fan from Syria:

quote:
Originally posted by Magicfan1961:

I don't know what the answer to that is," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We have not been able to establish him in the post against them and it's frustrating because we should be able to. I have to find an answer to that. I'm frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Dwight. I'm frustrated with myself."

SOLUTION: Play BASS with Dwight

I think part of the issue there is that they're trying to establish the post with a guy that's not a true post player. Dwight's just not versatile enough offensively to make a defender guess where he's going. They muscle him around and he doesn't have enough moves to keep them honest. He's simply too predictable and thus the forced plays and TOs. His defense and rebounding has been stellar, but that's not where the Magic are struggling. Maybe 8-10 times a game, put Rashard in the post? Just a thought if the direction is inside/out.

Although I think Bass can help out a lot, it seems like everyone's talking him up like Chuck Norris. Bass really isn't a post threat either. He's like an upgraded Big Baby imo. Just looking over Bass' past tendencies, Dwight and Bass just may not be able to co-exist (at least not with the current gameplan). Maybe that's why you don't see them on the floor together. Not saying that it can't happen, but there has to be some reason (and SVG is an idiot isn't one lol). I think Bass/Pietrus as the 6th/7th man at 20-25 mpg may be a good move for the team. Just my humble opinion. Both have a shoot first mentality that's good for a shot in the arm offensively. In the starting lineup, not so much.

Darthmagic don't believe the "best record as a Magic coach" hype

While Stan has the best record by the numbers, numbers can be manipulated to support any argument. Forget the analysts that never watch the Magic and say 'Stan must be doing a great job down there in Orlando'

Stan Van Gundy has been given the most talented Magic team of the decade in a silver platter. His only other coaching experience was in Miami, and while Stan was the coach, Riley was the only who really shaped that team's style of play and Stan had a good talented team to work with, not a sub .500 one.

Can you expect any other coach having worse results with this team? This season we're the undisputed deepest NBA team, and the record is less than impressive. The Magic's playoff record with Stan is less than impressive.

Sure we beat the Cavs, a team with only one star player. Mike Brown actually deserves some credit, that team got nothing besides Bron.

Let me use numbers to "compare" coaching records.

Brian Hill "took" the 96 Magic (with Shaq out injured) to a 17-4 start. Brian Hill was never ever given a decent bench to work with either.

The day Stan gets a team with no bench and takes them to the finals like Hill did, then I'll buy the argument Stan should be coaching at the NBA level

Numbers aside, it doesn't take numbers to see Stan's awful 1990's Euro basket system and lack of post toughness that goes with it.

He can make the deepest team in the NBA look mediocre on a nightly basis with his moronic system and lack of game management

Sure when you've got a loaded team players can shoot themselves out of a mediocre coaching and manage 10 point wins against much inferior teams. Considering few teams can even come close in talent, the Magic's record will still "look good".

Come finals (assuming we get there again) we'll be watching another painful performance. You'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by ElMayi:

Darthmagic don't believe the "best record as a Magic coach" hype

While Stan has the best record by the numbers, numbers can be manipulated to support any argument. Forget the analysts that never watch the Magic and say 'Stan must be doing a great job down there in Orlando'

Stan Van Gundy has been given the most talented Magic team of the decade in a silver platter. His only other coaching experience was in Miami, and while Stan was the coach, Riley was the only who really shaped that team's style of play and Stan had a good talented team to work with, not a sub .500 one.

Can you expect any other coach having worse results with this team? This season we're the undisputed deepest NBA team, and the record is less than impressive. The Magic's playoff record with Stan is less than impressive.

Sure we beat the Cavs, a team with only one star player. Mike Brown actually deserves some credit, that team got nothing besides Bron.

Let me use numbers to "compare" coaching records.

Brian Hill "took" the 96 Magic (with Shaq out injured) to a 17-4 start. Brian Hill was never ever given a decent bench to work with either.

The day Stan gets a team with no bench and takes them to the finals like Hill did, then I'll buy the argument Stan should be coaching at the NBA level

Numbers aside, it doesn't take numbers to see Stan's awful 1990's Euro basket system and lack of post toughness that goes with it.

He can make the deepest team in the NBA look mediocre on a nightly basis with his moronic system and lack of game management

Sure when you've got a loaded team players can shoot themselves out of a mediocre coaching and manage 10 point wins against much inferior teams. Considering few teams can even come close in talent, the Magic's record will still "look good".

Come finals (assuming we get there again) we'll be watching another painful performance. You'll see.

I'm not basing my assessment of his performance with the Magic alone. He has a history of coaching success. IMO he is the best coach this franchise has ever seen. He is not as bad as you are making him out to be.

But again, the issue here is his style. I made a post recently about how his style affects us negatively. He needs to adjust it. He is trying to play last years style with different players, just like Brian Hill tried to play the same plays after Shaq left.

He has the front court player to make the relevant adjustments but isn't using him (Bass). He has to make a sacrifice, both Shard and Ryan cannot play the PF spot, one has to sit to give bass playing time. If u insist on playing both give him Gortat's minutes. Bass was brought in to help Dwight. Why the Hell is he sitting?

The other thing that pisses me off is not trying to get offensive rebounds. Extra possessions for other teams kill us every game. why not trying doing the same to the oppositions. I understand the basic premise, get back and try to defend. Clog the paint and shut off driving lanes. But as soon as the shot goes up the team is sprinting back and it makes me sick to my stomach. How many times have there been loose balls and the opponent gets the ball because we retreated too early?

Second not forcing turnovers. again, how many teams kill us nightly because they force turnovers and we don't. getting into passing lanes and forcing bad passes are integral to the game of basketball. How can a top flight coach discourage these things? I just don't get it. Again, i understand the basic principle, but the defensive numbers aren't showing the fruits.

Heres what kills me. Dwight gets the ball in the paint and does nothing for several seconds until the double team comes. ***?

When he first catches the ball hes only got 1 guy on him many times. Why isn't he trying to score immediately? Why does he wait for the double team before he makes a move? This makes no sense to me.