Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Is Dwight just another modern day athlete?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

As for your personal analogy, just like the difference between Tiger and Dwight, it depends on the degree of importance your personal relationships with your customers drives their business.

Have you built your customer base through your personality, but kept them there because of your business itself, or do you sustain your level of business purely through your relationship with them?

If you keep them around due to the value you bring them through your business, I suspect any business backlash would be minimal. If you sustain your business based more on your relationship with your clients, then I suppose your business could take a more severe turn for the worse should those relationships sour.

It was more of a "what if" analogy for real life application's sake (to get people away from remarking that it's just sports so who cares).

I have meticulously groomed my professional image to perfection. It's only on the internet, where I periodically call you characters d0uche bags, that I stray from that perfection.

Once you combine the two, your business will really take off!

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Those that choose to build their fortune based on the establishment of a certain image create a risk factor directly proportionate to the degree to which they choose to adhere to that image.

I was going to make this point through the use of a personal analogy in an earlier post and then deleted it. It's a great point IMO.

I, as a business owner with respectable & consistent business strategies, am thrust in front of hundreds of thousands of consumers annually. These consumers obviously entrust me with their money in exchange for reliable products or services. Well, what happens if/when these consumers detect that my personal life decisions contrast abruptly with those business practices in which they trust and which I profess to follow strictly?

It really depends on the individual. Some may stop supporting you based on the idea that purchasing your good/service is accepting your lifestyle choice and essentially saying its acceptable.

Others mat recognize the separation between business and personal life and continue to support you as long as you have good business ethics (essentially you look out for your shareholder's best interest while conforming to business law).

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

I agree that athletes are in no way required to be role models, thats the parent's job, however, what about children with no father figure or strong parental presence growing up? Who do they look up to?

Most black children grow up in single-mother households, who do they look up to? Athletes.

Still waiting on someone to respond to this.

Or this...

quote:
You guys are seriously ignorant if you think dealing with baby mama drama, children out of wedlock, and scandal don't effect how someone performs their job.

Tiger is staying away from Golf for the foreseeable future because of his issues.

To think Howard, who is one of the most immature players in the NBA and youngest superstar, can separate basketball from his real world issues, shows a lack of understanding of the human mind and how things do not occur in a vacuum.

quote:

quote:

I agree that athletes are in no way required to be role models, thats the parent's job, however, what about children with no father figure or strong parental presence growing up? Who do they look up to?

Most black children grow up in single-mother households, who do they look up to? Athletes.

Or this...

quote:
You guys are seriously ignorant if you think dealing with baby mama drama, children out of wedlock, and scandal don't effect how someone performs their job.

Tiger is staying away from Golf for the foreseeable future because of his issues.

To think Howard, who is one of the most immature players in the NBA and youngest superstar, can separate basketball from his real world issues, shows a lack of understanding of the human mind and how things do not occur in a vacuum.

That's fine, but it's important, as a parent, to place a proper frame of reference around a role model in general. Foyle had a great blog piece about this last week some time. If I can find it, I will send you a link.

I just read a study that it takes 9 non-parental adult influences to form a child. They will get that from teachers, friends' parents, coaches, and even celebrities. The way to counter-balance the negative influence of various non-controlled role models is to, as a parent or mentor, explain the positives and negatives of each person.

Just as parents aren't perfect, neither is a guy like Dwight. Are there certain negative connotations and actions that surround him? Sure. He curses, complains, and has made his fair share of mistakes. However, in comparison to many alternatives, he has a plethora of positive influence factors. Explain his mistakes, but also feel free to point out his positive attitude, his giving nature, and his respect for his coach and teammates. The kid JUST turned 24, he still has a ton of growing up to do. However, he allows himself to be out there for all the world to see. He could be like, say, Carmelo, who seems to shy away from the spotlight. Or he could be like Nate Robinson, who only wants the spotlight to showcase himself. In the end, when it comes to athlete role models, Dwight is definitely one of the better ones. Is he perfect? No. Should he be the main influence on a child? No. But, when I have kids, will I be a little more comfortable if they have his poster on the wall knowing who he is and what his influences are? You bet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kush:

Gossip if for f****** and women. I watch sports because they're sports. Not because I care what goes on in one of these athletes personal lives. My kids will not look up to them as role models because parents and close family members are supposed to take that role. The media are a bunch of nerds that are jealous they do not make the money and have the fame the players have so they try to find any dirt they can to bring them down.

Exactly. Agreed on all points.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

I just read a study that it takes 9 non-parental adult influences to form a child. They will get that from teachers, friends' parents, coaches, and even celebrities. The way to counter-balance the negative influence of various non-controlled role models is to, as a parent or mentor, explain the positives and negatives of each person.

Just as parents aren't perfect, neither is a guy like Dwight. Are there certain negative connotations and actions that surround him? Sure. He curses, complains, and has made his fair share of mistakes. However, in comparison to many alternatives, he has a plethora of positive influence factors. Explain his mistakes, but also feel free to point out his positive attitude, his giving nature, and his respect for his coach and teammates. The kid JUST turned 24, he still has a ton of growing up to do. However, he allows himself to be out there for all the world to see. He could be like, say, Carmelo, who seems to shy away from the spotlight. Or he could be like Nate Robinson, who only wants the spotlight to showcase himself. In the end, when it comes to athlete role models, Dwight is definitely one of the better ones. Is he perfect? No. Should he be the main influence on a child? No. But, when I have kids, will I be a little more comfortable if they have his poster on the wall knowing who he is and what his influences are? You bet.

I've been waiting to hear from you, Junkie, & Soulbro since you're all men of faith. Nice to get your take on things.

Too often I think it's easy for Christians to feel slighted by other practitioners of faith, when those that seemingly betray their faith do it in a way that draws negative attention to religious doctrine practiced by individuals not in the public eye end therefore not as harshly judged.

quote:

quote:

Or this...

quote:

I guess that this kind of temptations of course that influence Dwight, the thing is separate they way you live and the way you make your work.

i mean, Dennis Rodman was in las vegas drinking and making sex with all kind of womens, and then the other night he grab 20 rebounds and he

The factor is professionalism and pride in mantaining effort in improving, while handling all the tempataions that will arise with losts of money. If he lays back on his athleticism and fails to develop his offensive loopholes he will just be good center but never a great one. He seems to have become very inconsistent lately.

Smack, to be honest, the backlash against Christianity after negative instances such as this shows ignorance on both sides.

On the side of the Christian, you should never put yourself in a position to be called a hypocrite. While part of Christianity involves moral code (as does any belief system worth its salt), the thing that sets it apart from other religions is the idea of grace. While there are morals that humans are to hold to, the reality is that we simply can't. Enter Jesus, who could and did, and thus creates grace. Where Christians get a bad rap and the reason we are called hypocrites are the ignorant extremists who stand on street corners and condemn all sinners to hell. Hate to tell you, but if that guy truly believes that, he's no more Christian than he is Jewish or Muslim. However, he's the extreme example, and so people remember it. And then, when a Christian slips up and inevitably falls short of that aforementioned moral code, the average Joe points back to the moron on the street corner and says 'See, they condemn us for our mistakes, but they are just as bad as us!' Hence the ignorance on the opposite side of the coin. A true Christian says (as many have already said in this very thread) that we all have sin and fall short, and thus need (wait for it....) Christ! (which means messiah, which means savior, which means the guy who fixes our screw ups)

As for our beloved Dwight, I have never been around him all that much, and so I don't know how 'preachy' he is. I recall him talking a lot about his faith when he was drafted, and I have no problem with that. If he was telling people they are wrong, without admitting his own fault, than yes, he is a hypocrite. I don't remember any instances of that, though.

Lol, Dwight actually said god was the reason why we won the ECF last year and would be the reason why we were going to win the Finals.

Turns out god's a Lakers homer.