Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Is Dwight just another modern day athlete?

I agree that athletes are in no way required to be role models, thats the parent's job, however, what about children with no father figure or strong parental presence growing up? Who do they look up to?

Most black children grow up in single-mother households, who do they look up to? Athletes.

Dwight is a modern day person, no better or worse than many others at his age.

Being hit with fame and the pressure of having every move they make, on the court and in their personal life, examined and judged, has to be exausting. I wonder how many of us would have been able to handle it at Dwight's age.

The vast majority of professional athletes, are very mature and dedicated young people. They really are. Man, in the 80's it seemed like he whole league had a Cocaine habit.

Getting a girl pregnant is about as light as it gets as far as transgressions, a completely different situation than Tiger.

What Dwight is not, is JUST another athlete. he is a supreme athlete and I'm lucky to see him every game he plays. I'm fine if he's a modern athlete. I really am.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

This is just stupid. Everybody is having sex. If you think it's immoral to have sex out of wedlock then your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack.

This is stupid. Everybody is smoking crack and murdering somebody. If you think it's immoral to smoke crack and murder somebody than your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack.

You just compared crack smoking and murder with having sex with someone before marriage, which is a made-up Christian "value".

No, he showed the faulty logic in the previous statement. Are your morals tied to what you feel are right and wrong, or are they tied to what "everyone else is doing"? You think smoking crack and murder is wrong, but would you still feel that way if everyone else was doing it? Would you then be considered "out of whack"?

Try reading into the meaning of a post, not just taking everything at face value. Analyze and understand.

Nope, his meaning and logic are awful. Murder and smoking crack are both crimes. Having sex out of wedlock isn't. It was an awful comparison, literally laughable.

And are anywhere near as many people having sex with a girlfriend than they are murdering people on a crack binge? For, the overwhelming most part, if a lot of people in this coutry are participating in something it probably isn't immoral. Having sex is natural. It's beautifal. It's just being human. To judge a person for that is just plain ignant. Not even ignorant, it's straight ignant.

quote:

quote:

In this day and age, that means that Dwight is going to have another bill and that is normal. It's to the point where, almost, most children grow up with seperated parents.

It's normal for a child to be perceived as "another bill"? Not in my neighborhood.

Sorry but since we lack details, we have to base it off of our own life experiance. In my life experiances, I've talked to many a girl whose goal was to sleep with a successful guy, get pregnant, and that will either set her set up financially for life or for 18 years. Given that all facts point towards Dwight being a good person, it is easily more likely that the woman was morally apprehensible and just wanted a max deal baby daddy. But yeah, lets judge the african american male. Real original.

And wow I don't think "not in my neighborhood" could be anymore of an attack on race. Good try at hiding it.

quote:

Nope, his meaning and logic are awful. Murder and smoking crack are both crimes. Having sex out of wedlock isn't. It was an awful comparison, literally laughable.

And are anywhere near as many people having sex with a girlfriend than they are murdering people on a crack binge? For, the overwhelming most part, if a lot of people in this coutry are participating in something it probably isn't immoral. Having sex is natural. It's beautifal. It's just being human. To judge a person for that is just plain ignant. Not even ignorant, it's straight ignant.

It's not a comparison between having children out of wedlock vs smocking crack and killing people. It's a demonstration of the faulty logical argument of "Everyone is doing 'X'. If you think it's immoral to do 'X', then your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack."

The extreme differnce i between children out of wedlock and smocking crack/killing people is intentional and well placed. Somehow, I think this will all be lost on you.

quote:

quote:

quote:

In this day and age, that means that Dwight is going to have another bill and that is normal. It's to the point where, almost, most children grow up with seperated parents.

It's normal for a child to be perceived as "another bill"? Not in my neighborhood.

And wow I don't think "not in my neighborhood" could be anymore of an attack on race. Good try at hiding it.

Not. Racist. At. All.

quote:

quote:

It's not a comparison between having children out of wedlock vs smocking crack and killing people. It's a demonstration of the faulty logical argument of "Everyone is doing 'X'. If you think it's immoral to do 'X', then your opinion on values is skewed and way out of wack."

The extreme differnce i between children out of wedlock and smocking crack/killing people is intentional and well placed. Somehow, I think this will all be lost on you.

But again, your missing my point. The comparison is still awful because not everybody is participating in smoking crack and murder. You can't compare a hypothetical world where everybody is to the real world where everybody isn't. If I lived in that altered reality, I would have never said its okay as long as everybody is doing it because obviously everybody is doing bad things. You can't take what I said about the real world and apply it to a fantasy world. Awful comparion and argument. Just awful.

if you look at the history of professional athletes in general they have been privledged since early childhood. always the best player who everyone wanted to be on their team. parents gave them everything they had to keep them going. schools gave them every opportunity. they grow up thinking they are special, bullet proof if you will, with different standards. most do not get a good education nor are they the smartest decision maker in their personal life. the media and public are partly responsible for their failures because we make professional sports so big. it is extremely diffuclt to handle all this at such a young age. tiger or howard are not the first nor will they be the last. by the way, great thread smack.

quote:

quote:

quote:

But again, your missing my point. The comparison is still awful because not everybody is participating in smoking crack and murder. You can't compare a hypothetical world where everybody is to the real world where everybody isn't. If I lived in that altered reality, I would have never said its okay as long as everybody is doing it because obviously everybody is doing bad things. You can't take what I said about the real world and apply it to a fantasy world. Awful comparion and argument. Just awful.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's cool. Instead of accepting fault you bold something you said previously.

My logic wasn't flawed; almost anything everybody participates in isn't immoral in day to day life. If, all of a sudden, everybody started murdering each other and smoking crack then not almost anything everybody participates in will be morally acceptable. I didn't miss what you meant, it was simple enough, but it's very flawed.