Sign in to follow this  
Cisco

Who will be our new head coach???

Another name that should be thrown in is Brian Shaw. I've read a lot of good things about him in L A this year, Otis should give him an interview at the very least.

Marc Iavaroni

Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook

College - Virginia

A 14-year veteran of the NBA as a player or coach, Marc Iavaroni joined the Suns coaching staff in 2002.

Previously he served as assistant coach/director of player development with Pat Riley from 1999-2002. Iavaroni's responsibilities consisted of all general duties of an assistant coach plus the direct responsibility of developing Heat players year round. Prior to that he was an assistant coach under Cleveland Head Coach Mike Fratello for two seasons (1997-1999), concentrating his efforts on big man development.

Iavaroni owes much of his teaching expertise to his 20-year association as a student and instructor under Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell.

A seven-year NBA veteran from 1982-1989, Iavaroni played for Philadelphia, San Antonio and Utah. He was a starter as a rookie on the 76ers

I would love to see Bill Laimbeer here as the new head coach. He would be very good for Dwight and Darko, as well as Augustine and Battie. He also knows very well the importance of a good PG who can do what good PGs do. Playing with one of the better all-time PGs for all those years, I am sure, brought that home in a big way.

Carlisle would be my second choice. After all, he is the one who trained the Pistons thru two 50 game seasons so that Larry Brown could come in and ride into a championship on the team's collective coattails. The even added Sheed to make sure that happened.

Brown would leave this team in far worse shape if he were brought in to coach them. There is one guy who did not get his first NBA 'ship until he took over Rick's team.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr3345:

Iavaroni is my choice.

I agree, only problem is he likes Seattle now.

Saying that, even with Durrant our talent far outways Seattle's and we may even be taking one of their best players in Lewis this summer!

quote:
Carlisle is a micromanager no offense coach like Brian, I do not want to see him coach this team.

Agreed. Carlisle is just a watered down version of Brian Hill. His team's have underachieved for years. And don't give me that Jermaine O'neal was hurt rap. It seems obvious to me that Donovan is number one on the Magic's chart. They're just waiting for him to sign on the line. I guess Matty Gouk's isn't in the running????

I think Iavaroni has the best potential for our particular situation. He has a long long coaching background full of different styles, so he should be very well versed in a few styles of play.

I feel that guys like Carlisle are just 'safe' guys but won't maximize our potential, I really don't think Carlisle's style fits the profile Otis and Bob talked about.

Iavaroni seems to match it, Billy Donovan may be able to(he may be a good fit for a young team, but still has some strong vet leaders)

If Donovan were going into a situation with high voltage personalities like GS I wouldn't want him, he's proven he can win with talent..we have talent.

It's intersting how there really are no rumors though.

This is a great article on our situation

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Spo...s/sptMAG02052407.htm

I know what you're thinking. And to that I say stop. Think again. Talk to yourself out of hoping that the Magic go after Billy Donovan to replace Brian Hill as Orlando's head coach.

I know the speculation. I read the papers (no pun intended). And I know the rumors are running rampant about Billy Boy bringing Billy Ball to Amway Arena.

While it would make for good entertainment, while his hiring may just hasten plans for a new arena, it would be a disaster from a basketball sense.

Let me put it as gently as I can. College basketball coaches never, repeat never, do well in the NBA. It just won't work. Ask Rick Pitino. Ask Lon Kruger. Ask Jerry Tarkanian. Ask Mark Montgomery.

It didn't work for any of them, and it won't work for Donovan. In the NBA, coaches are a small part of the show. In college, they are the show. The NCAA is a coach's paradise. The NBA is a coaching wasteland.

Donovan has complete control over his program at Florida. He can impose curfew. It's his way or the highway, and the player who doesn't conform to that is the player who mysteriously transfers at the end of the season to be closer to his family.

Can you imagine Donovan making Dwight Howard run a lap for every free throw he misses? I thought you couldn't, because I can't either.

Besides, Donovan is an immortal in Gainesville. He can recruit almost who he wants right now. He's won consecutive national championships, and he's done the unthinkable, which is to say that he's made the Gators almost as much of a basketball school as a football school.

Why would he want to leave that behind?

WHAT ABOUT THE CHALLENGE?

Still, the Magic will pursue Donovan. They'll regale him with tales of how much he would mean to the organization. They'll get his attention by mentioning how much of a challenge it would be to coach at a different level. They dangle the carrot that is Dwight Howard in front of him. And, most of all, they'll point to Larry Brown as an example of a college coach that did indeed get it done at the pro level.

And if Billy's smart, he'll listen, he'll smile and he'll say, "thanks but no thanks." Billy doesn't need Orlando any more than the Magic need him.

The Magic need somebody like Rick Carlisle, who coincidently just got fired himself. If not Carlisle, they need a Marc Iavaroni.

He's the top assistant coach out there. He comes from Phoenix, which is to say that he wants to run, and he's not a retread, a coach who keeps hopping from team to team.

The Magic need somebody that won't be afraid of playing younger players. They need someone who wants to push the tempo, because truthfully, that's how this roster is constructed.

Iavaroni, a former NBA player, could thrive in this envoirnment. Most of all, he would serve as that person who can take Orlando to the next level. Heck, maybe the Magic can even go .500 on its way to making the playoffs.

NOT DONOVAN

Billy's not the person to do that.

As I speak, Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley is probably on his way to Donovan's house, pen in hand, ready to sign his prized basketball coach to the new extension that should've been a done deal by now.

You know what Donovan should do? He should answer the door.

I say what ever happens, we need to go in a different direction. Give Iavoroni or Billy a shot. We need a fresh start!

That seems more like bashing Donovan article, then the article about our situation. Thanks for posting it anyway, at least we get some opinions of the writer.

quote:
Originally posted by random:

That seems more like bashing Donovan article, then the article about our situation. Thanks for posting it anyway, at least we get some opinions of the writer.

It doesnt once bash Donovan, the writer is talking about why he shouldnt become the Magic coach, yes he is a Gator homer and doesnt want him to leave but the points still hole weight.

Also he talks about Iavoroni and Carlisle and their suitability!