Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Stan Van Gundy vows to limit negativity after private meeting with C Dwight Howard

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

I guess SVG hurt some feelings in the locker room. This team needs to show some toughness, thats why they suck defensively, this team is soft. Dwight is the main culprit, he has played poorly this year. Maybe he should keep his mouth shut, considering how he was talking all this crap during the offseason about how he has a jump shot and is going to shoot 75% from the free throw line. Instead he is shooting 58 %, so somehow he got worse. Not to mention I have yet to see him take a jump shot this year.

But yet he wants a ring....u know some1 plz on these boards post to dwight on twitter and tell him to man up

quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was some of the new guys complaining about it. Maybe if some guys stepped off the 3 point line every now and then they wouldn't get yelled at. I would start benching guys personally, let JJ get some minutes, at least he plays hard and makes the most out of his physical skills. VC and RA are both lazy as hell defensively and MP once again decided he only likes to play in the Playoffs.

What happened to Gortat? I mean I always thought the guy was overrated but at this point Otis is going to have a hard time getting rid of that contract.

What a shock, the most miserable negative poster on the board doesn't mind SVG's negativity.

I think this was long overdue. SVG's a superb coach, but you could see him draining his players. You can only push so hard, so much. There's been numerous times where there's been altercations on the bench (like in that thread Sky, I think, posted) that went over the line.

Professional team's play best when they're positive and confident in each other. This Magic team hadn't been doing that yet, and I think SVG's fire was mainly causing that. It's quite impressive that SVG stood up and took the blame.

And I actually noticed live at the game Wednesday that SVG seemed to be encouraging Dwight as well as the other players. You always play harder for someone that believes in you. There's no doubt that SVG was starting to tear into the guys a bit to much.

He's exhausting enough to even watch for 3 hours on TV, imagine that intensity every day for months.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I understand where Howard is coming from on this but Howard needs to understand that Van Gundy is trying to get the best out of them every night. Everything Van Gundy has said in press conferences are very truthful then negative. They are not playing great defense. That's his job as coach to point out their weakness. I don't see the problem in Van Gundy's tactics. But if Van Gundy wants to try and compromise with them then that's on him. But he will go back to being the same old Van Gundy sooner or later. That's just who he is. But it's nice that Howard had a meeting first with Van Gundy instead of sharing his problems with the media.

I swaer its like most of you haven't played on a team

if your coach constantly berates you with negativity eventually you say **** him and tune it out. It's not like dwight is saying 'dont point out our mistakes' more like show us how to get better and stop ripping us in the media.

thats how he got fired in miami he BETTER listen

quote:

if your coach constantly berates you with negativity eventually you say **** him and tune it out. It's not like dwight is saying 'dont point out our mistakes' more like show us how to get better and stop ripping us in the media.

Yup.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:

Yup.

im adding +1 to this and as a coach basketball can either go for you or against you and it is an emotional game built around confidence as well. slumps happen on the court its how you pull your team out. i really thought some of stans best coaching was in the cleveland series especally in game 1 when he just wanted to eat into the cavs lead bit by bit.

i do agree with both side of the agrument of they are pros harden up but i also agree with stan giving the players some confidence as well it is all about balance.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

And I actually noticed live at the game Wednesday that SVG seemed to be encouraging Dwight as well as the other players. You always play harder for someone that believes in you. There's no doubt that SVG was starting to tear into the guys a bit to much.

He's exhausting enough to even watch for 3 hours on TV, imagine that intensity every day for months.

This explains the strange shape I saw Stan's face contort into during Wed. game. I've never seen the corners of his mouth turn up and his teeth like that. First I thought it might be gas but now I realize it must of been a smile.

Good news, he is exhausting, would've made a great drill sargent. I think this team is mature enough to take a good *** chewing now and then when needed, they all want to win. I hope Stan can achieve his goal, should make everyone relax a little and play our game. With this much talent and desire they have matured into a team that doesnt need ripped 24/7.

What usually happens when a team leader takes it on to address issues with the boss, they wind up gettin thrown under the bus. Dwight may want to look for tread marks up his back. If I were SVG I'd tell them to play my way or pack up your Nikes and go home.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

What usually happens when a team leader takes it on to address issues with the boss, they wind up gettin thrown under the bus. Dwight may want to look for tread marks up his back. If I were SVG I'd tell them to play my way or pack up your Nikes and go home.

This is the NBA, normal rules dont apply. It's the coach who will be shown the door if he doesnt keep his superstar happy. Hopefully they can develop a Duncan/Pops relationship.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Yeah tell Dwight to go home............great idea.