Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

ok, I have no idea where I got that notion that spain and brazil would meet before the final, but I am so glad you guys pointed out that I was wrong!

I would absolutely love to see Bafana Bafana get beyond the group stage - as I have said before, I think when the hosts go out they take a bit of the magic with them, but they have been so unbelieveably bad recently I can't seem them qualifiying. France will go through (although I am hoping on another performance a la 2002) and Uruguay and Mexico will be even but both better than SA.

The USA will probably do very well in the group stages and win 2 but they don't have much of a chance against the Germans I reckon.

As for Group G, I don't think Portugal can make it and out the Ivory Coast will get through instead. Most of the African nations play with so much passion and being on their own soil I think they man up even more so that's why I fancy them ahead of Portugal who are a team of incredibly gifted nancys. Also because I have a slightly more significant dislike of Ronaldo rather than Drogba.

France v Nigeria

Argentina v Mexico

England v Serbia

Germany v USA

Netherlands v Paraguay

Italy v Cameroon

Brazil v Chile

Spain v Ivory Coast

France v England

Netherlands v Brazil

Argentina v Germany

Spain v Italy

England v Brazil

Germany v Spain

1st Spain

2nd Brazil

3rd Germany

4th England (lose on penalties!)

smile_jameertongue.png

Wow groups B and D are horrible. All four teams in each of those groups are fairly good. I think Argentina need to pull themselves together as being in a group with Greece and South Korea means there is a good chance of a shock and be dumped out straight away.

Group G is fairly tough as well - Ivory Coast will push Portugal all the way for that second spot. I can see Portugal finishing third, they're a shell of the team that made the semis in 2006.

Very happy for my England we've got a pretty easy group, should be a comfortable 9 points with Slovakia and USA fighting it out for second.

So my predictions are:-

group A - France

Mexico

group B - South Korea

Argentina

group C - England

Slovenia

group D - Germany

Serbia

group E - Holland

Denmark

group F - Italy

Slovakia

group G - Brazil

Ivory Coast

Group H - Spain

Chile

quote:
Originally posted by adsm:

World Cup 2010 - Groups

Group A

South Africa***

Mexico

Uruguay***

France

Group B

Argentina***

Nigeria***

South Korea

Greece

Group C

England***

USA***

Algeria

Slovenia

Group D

Germany***

Australia

Serbia

Ghana*** (darkhorse)

Group E

Netherlands***

Denmark***

Japan

Cameroon

Group F

Italy***

Paraguay***

New Zealand

Slovakia

Group G

Brazil

North Korea

Ivory Coast*** (darkhorse)

Portugal***

Group H

Spain***

Switzerland

Honduras

Chile***

I would love to see France and Brazil taken out in group play.

Wow...some of you guys have Brazil and South Africa that quick.

I honestly didn't know there was people tha dislike Brazil. As a Colombian, we have to root for another team (becuase our team sucks) And it's usually Brazil the team we pick. I hope they win it all again!

yeah, I can possibly understand why people hate on Brazil for their record etc, but they just play such entertaining football in these tournaments it's hard to dislike them. The only major low I can think of was Rivaldo collapsing to the ground like he'd been shot in 2002, that was dispicable.

quote:

yeah, I can possibly understand why people hate on Brazil for their record etc, but they just play such entertaining football in these tournaments it's hard to dislike them. The only major low I can think of was Rivaldo collapsing to the ground like he'd been shot in 2002, that was dispicable.

Can't remember that one. I do remember a nasty elbow from I think Branco? to I think Ramos? That was one nasty elbow!

Brazil plays very good soccer and always has a couple of players that are worth watching that make the difference like Ronaldhino, Ronaldo, Kaka, Robinho etc.

Do any of you know if the games will be in the late morning? I live in Orlando.

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:

Can't remember that one. I do remember a nasty elbow from I think Branco? to I think Ramos? That was one nasty elbow!

Brazil plays very good soccer and always has a couple of players that are worth watching that make the difference like Ronaldhino, Ronaldo, Kaka, Robinho etc.

Do any of you know if the games will be in the late morning? I live in Orlando.

it was a group stage game against turkey - one of the turkish players kicked the ball to rivaldo for the corner but it hit him on the shin and he dropped to the ground holding his face like a sniper had just blown off his jaw. Turkish dude was sent off for it. I was so angry at him (Rivaldo). That's one of the things I really respect about South American football - there is usually far less play acting than you get from the Europeans (except maybe the Eastern European teams who play with their balls on their shoulder)

rivaldo dive

as for television times - I don't think they have released them yet but I do know that with south africa being in the same time zone as the UK there is a lot of excitement over here about them being watchable at a normal time - probably between 5-9pm - so they will likely be midday to early evening for you

The first games will start around 7:30pm eastern and the final game of the day will start at 2:30pm eastern. The times and fixtures have been set for months it was just a matter of replacing A1 vs A2 with the correct team

quote:
Originally posted by OAM149:

The first games will start around 7:30pm eastern and the final game of the day will start at 2:30pm eastern. The times and fixtures have been set for months it was just a matter of replacing A1 vs A2 with the correct team

do you mean 7:30am? because 7:30pm eastern would be 1:30am in South Africa!

but cool to know the games should all be at a decent hour - Japan/South Korea '02 was a nightmare!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by OAM149:

do you mean 7:30am? because 7:30pm eastern would be 1:30am in South Africa!

but cool to know the games should all be at a decent hour - Japan/South Korea '02 was a nightmare!

LOL opps sorry bout that, yea 7:30am. And yes 2002 was terrible.