Sign in to follow this  
Da_Coach

Have You Seen THIS!!!

Alright now that I got your attention, read Mr. Danaghy's excerpts first (if you haven't already come accross them) then the rest will be substantiated.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/ex...snt-want-you-to-read

Look I know there will be people bashing this thread, I'm prepared for that, just know that they are naive, and don't know how the world of business works or just choose to subscribe to wishful thinking so that they can preserve a certain image of "basketbal" in their minds. And yes the NBA is a business first and foremost.

I won't go into detail of how all the intricacies of the operation fit together or how exactly everyone involved contributes or makes out, I wouldn't even begin to pretend like I know any of those details. I'm just using common sense, human nature and tendencies, greed, interest alignment, and a basic understanding of the exploitation of large scale business.

You may think what you want of Donaghy, but he worked on the inside and at this point has nothing to lose, so why not spill the truth about what sorts of things transpire behind the scenes? None of the things you read in these excerpts should come as a shock to any of us. They're all things we have all posited at various junctures throughout NBA history. The Sacramento/LA series in 02 or the infamous Suns/spurs series for example, only now they've been confirmed from the lions mouth.

Its simple really, referees have the most power over deciding the outcome of a game and can abuse this power for personal gain (Donaghy, and many others not officially caught) at the expense of organizations, players, coaches, fans and anyone else involved. As the excerpts show, this is done in a variety of unique and innovative ways to achieve the desired end. For example, if you want to insure a more competitive game between a heavily favored team and a significant underdog, put the favorite team's superstar on the bench with early foul trouble "I was thinking, How is Denver going to win on the road in San Antonio? At the time, the Spurs were arguably the best team in the league. Bavetta answered my question before it was asked."

"Duncan will be on the bench with three fouls within the first five minutes of the game," he calmly stated." Ring a bell anyone? Not only that, but constant stoppages and fouls clearly mess the flow of a game up severely. This is especially true for a high octane offense like the magic's that feeds off rhythm and momentum. This benefits an opportunistic offense like Detroits that is severely challenged at best with the personnel on the court tonight and relies on opportunistic plays and isolation.

Orlando vs. Detroit with Orlando as the heavy favorites against a significantly undermanned Detroit team that is in the rebuilding stage anyways, was the perfect setup game to manipulate, especially with the history of Detroit having the Magic's number. The officiating was textbook to that end from all the 50-50 calls going their way, to the foul trouble of Dwight who only played 16 minutes! Dwight would get whistled every 3 minutes and eventually fouled out along with Gortat. Also the free throw discrepancy of 38-16 in favor of Detroit. I know they went to the hole a lot more and the magic settled for too many 3's, but the offense was completely thrown out of wack with no one in the paint to establish any post game, due to the foul trouble. Sure this may all be coincidence, but we've seen it all before, I mean one of their own was already caught for this very thing. The mismatch was perfect, the history of the teams was too good to pass up and the method of controlling the flow of the game to facilitate the desired outcome was textbook. Decide for yourselves.

This has all happened before, Donaghy was the shmuck that got caught, you would think this sort of thing would completely die down, but all the signs that were evident back then still prevail now, and they won't get my benefit of the doubt after the NBA was exposed for this very thing. It's a shame that the sport we love has to be muddied up with the cold realities of human greed and self interest, and our beloved team has to be the bystander caught in the crosshairs.

Its one loss and is not at all anything to worry about in the greater scheme of things and our goal of a title, its just how that loss came about that hurts and to Detroit of all teams. I just worry that even though we are arguably the deepest team ever assembled the politics of the business may ultimately get in the way of a fruitful run this year.

Alright now that I got your attention, read Mr. Danaghy's excerpts first (if you haven't already come accross them) then the rest will be substantiated.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/ex...snt-want-you-to-read

Look I know there will be people bashing this thread, I'm prepared for that, just know that they are naive, and don't know how the world of business works or just choose to subscribe to wishful thinking so that they can preserve a certain image of "basketbal" in their minds. And yes the NBA is a business first and foremost.

I won't go into detail of how all the intricacies of the operation fit together or how exactly everyone involved contributes or makes out, I wouldn't even begin to pretend like I know any of those details. I'm just using common sense, human nature and tendencies, greed, interest alignment, and a basic understanding of the exploitation of large scale business.

You may think what you want of Donaghy, but he worked on the inside and at this point has nothing to lose, so why not spill the truth about what sorts of things transpire behind the scenes? None of the things you read in these excerpts should come as a shock to any of us. They're all things we have all posited at various junctures throughout NBA history. The Sacramento/LA series in 02 or the infamous Suns/spurs series for example, only now they've been confirmed from the lions mouth.

Its simple really, referees have the most power over deciding the outcome of a game and can abuse this power for personal gain (Donaghy, and many others not officially caught) at the expense of organizations, players, coaches, fans and anyone else involved. As the excerpts show, this is done in a variety of unique and innovative ways to achieve the desired end. For example, if you want to insure a more competitive game between a heavily favored team and a significant underdog, put the favorite team's superstar on the bench with early foul trouble "I was thinking, How is Denver going to win on the road in San Antonio? At the time, the Spurs were arguably the best team in the league. Bavetta answered my question before it was asked."

"Duncan will be on the bench with three fouls within the first five minutes of the game," he calmly stated." Ring a bell anyone? Not only that, but constant stoppages and fouls clearly mess the flow of a game up severely. This is especially true for a high octane offense like the magic's that feeds off rhythm and momentum. This benefits an opportunistic offense like Detroits that is severely challenged at best with the personnel on the court tonight and relies on opportunistic plays and isolation.

Orlando vs. Detroit with Orlando as the heavy favorites against a significantly undermanned Detroit team that is in the rebuilding stage anyways, was the perfect setup game to manipulate, especially with the history of Detroit having the Magic's number. The officiating was textbook to that end from all the 50-50 calls going their way, to the foul trouble of Dwight who only played 16 minutes! Dwight would get whistled every 3 minutes and eventually fouled out along with Gortat. Also the free throw discrepancy of 38-16 in favor of Detroit. I know they went to the hole a lot more and the magic settled for too many 3's, but the offense was completely thrown out of wack with no one in the paint to establish any post game, due to the foul trouble. Sure this may all be coincidence, but we've seen it all before, I mean one of their own was already caught for this very thing. The mismatch was perfect, the history of the teams was too good to pass up and the method of controlling the flow of the game to facilitate the desired outcome was textbook. Decide for yourselves.

This has all happened before, Donaghy was the shmuck that got caught, you would think this sort of thing would completely die down, but all the signs that were evident back then still prevail now, and they won't get my benefit of the doubt after the NBA was exposed for this very thing. It's a shame that the sport we love has to be muddied up with the cold realities of human greed and self interest, and our beloved team has to be the bystander caught in the crosshairs.

Its one loss and is not at all anything to worry about in the greater scheme of things and our goal of a title, its just how that loss came about that hurts and to Detroit of all teams. I just worry that even though we are arguably the deepest team ever assembled the politics of the business may ultimately get in the way of a fruitful run this year.

I know there has already been ten+ threads since we lost, but I can't say I didn't see this kind of drawn out post coming. It was a good read, and made me think...

but at the end of the day, I like to have a little faith in the sport that I love. Ryan Anderson did miss ten threes after all.

It's not like we couldn't have won this game. Vince was clearly throwing the offense out of sync, as well. He isn't 100%, not sure he should have played.

Good read.

I feel the same. It makes me want to stop watching the sport I love.

I can't help but think a storm is coming. I'm certain it will. I just can't imagine when.

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

I know there has already been ten+ threads since we lost, but I can't say I didn't see this kind of drawn out post coming. It was a good read, and made me think...

but at the end of the day, I like to have a little faith in the sport that I love. Ryan Anderson did miss ten threes after all.

It's not like we couldn't have won this game. Vince was clearly throwing the offense out of sync, as well. He isn't 100%, not sure he should have played.

Of course we played like crap, abysmal in fact, but I do believe the flow of the game was ruined early on by the way the game was called. If you recall we did make a nice comeback early on and became more complacent with the jumper because of how one directional the calls were. We came out flat like many good teams do when they play inferior opponents and when we started to hit some shots that's when all the horrible calls started piling in quite suspiciously. The bottom line is the officials have immense control of the flow of the game and can completely ruin a teams rhythm when there is no flow to a game and calls become so one sided.

Weird, I read a few excerpts from Donaghy's book a few hours before the game. Then, when I saw Steve Jackoff as one of the refs, I wondered if we would see some game manipulation. Yes, our Magics bailed out Detroit with terrible ball movement and stupid 3-point attempts...but it's hard for me to deny that the refs called the game like they had money on the hometown Pistons. Disgusting.

Read through this and it made me angry that they would mess with a sport like basketball. Guys train from childhood hoping to get into college ball then the nba, their whole life dedicated to playing the game, then a fat balding ref with a gambling addiction should ruin that players chance of getting a ring just for the sake of it.

However in the case of this game, Nelson caused two turnovers at the end, in a game where the pistons won by 5. Not saying Nelson is to blame for the outcome of the game, but if we aint playing great then thats the reason we lost. If we had shot the lights out and still lost, then we can look at the officials.

Thank you for the post. It was very interesting. The botton line is organization is corrupt from the bottom to the top. Stern is in deep or he is complete and total idiot. Stern will ensure that there is a Lebeon Kobe finals this year if he can.

I read through this, and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

With that said, the insight into some of the "games" the ref's played I found to be comical. The "no call" game struck me as something that definitely bears resemblence to some of the playoff games vs. Boston last year in the playoffs. Was it game 2 or 3 that it was maybe 2 minutes into the game when they finally blew a whistle when Sam Perkins gave Dwight a Ric Flairesque chop on his hook that got the first whistle? After that it seemed to be a semi-fair game where whistles were heard on a more regular basis.

You would be stupid to believe that everything Donaghy(sp?) said is true, but it you would be just as stupid to think that NOBODY else was/is involved with some of the things he is saying.