Sign in to follow this  
KandiKane

Ryan Anderson Defense.

As a harsh critic of Anderson's D, I personally can't criticize him for giving up blow-by dunks to All-Stars like Bosh, or smaller players like CDR.

I can't even criticize him that harshly for the layups Bargnani got on him vs. Toronto. When a shooter has it going, a simple pump fake will get you a step. If we're going to criticize him for that, we have to criticize every player Anderson ever gets by.

For the most part, his individual D is weak, but tolerable. More than anything, it's his team D that is a weakness in need of dramatic improvement. His presence in the paint & at the rim in non-existent & all that needs to be done to break down the Magics D with Anderson in the game is involve him in the pick-n-roll.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

Anderson currently has a higher DRtg than Bass and a higher DRtg than Rashard had last year.

With a 3 game sample, I'd suggest RA benefits exponentially from playing the overwhelming majority of his minutes w/D12 while Bass not only plays more with the bench players, but spent considerable time on the floor during a blowout in which the collective wasn't playing much D.

generally young players play bad defense...

Anderson is like 21-22yrs old and when he gets in his prime; watch out... Him, d12 and nelson are a major group of young talent...

I think that kitno's observations are spot on and provide an excellent assessment of where Ryan is defensively. And, it should not be a shock to ANYONE. He is a smart and polished offensive player (still like to see him be more physical at the rim) - he came to the team as a "back up" player who is still young with room to get better. He is a "better" offensive option than BB, and the jury is still out on who is the better rebounder. In college, he could always get by on his smarts on the defensive end. He was in NJ last year - where nothing/no one ever gets any better. Hopefully minutes on the floor, and SVG's getting in his ear, will provide the impetus Ryan needs to become a more complete player....and then he may be a special player. Heck, Dirk was a lousy defender at first and he has learned to be (at least) an average defender. Give this kid some time too (and I'm not trying to make Ryan vs. Dirk comparisons - cause that is just stupid!)

I have to say I laughed after reading nobody gets better in New Jersey. Wasnt there a thread that was saying it would be great to get Lee back after a few years of improvement in Jersey...

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

he's not as bad as u think. Bosh may have scored lotta points on him, but if you watched the whole game Anderson did a really good job of getting in his opponents grill n getting a hand in the face.

It's like Pietrus on Kobe. You play perfect D, it's just better offense. Anderson's wasnt perfect, but on a non-Bosh player those would have caused a missed shot.

No he wouldn't have. Because Barnie made punked him every time Anderson guarded him. Anytime Bass or Howard guarded Bosh straight up, he usually didn't score or had to bailed out by the ref. When Anderson guarded him, he was dunking or legitmately getting to the line. He was really, really bad.