Sign in to follow this  
Faux Hawk

Would you trade Gortat for...

Ah everyone wants to be a critic. First off I am not dumb enough to think we would trade him during the season. Read what I wrote because I said offseason. Second I know that Gortat is a BYC player and pretty much untradeable. Third, I was just trying to see what Magic fans would think about taking Lee back in a trade if it meant losing Gortat.

Here is my point. Lopez can play PF if he was required to because he has Tim Duncan type of range. Looking at our team do we keep Gortat as Dwight's backup? I would prefer we did regardless of what Gortat may want for his future. But if we were put in a position to trade him I was looking at our team long term. I think if we lost Gortat, Bass can be Dwight's back up. If Jersey really wanted Gortat (which they probably don't), I would trade Gortat for Lee & Jianlian. The trade would work when Gortat loses his BYC status. That would give us a very young nucleus. We all know what Lee can do and we also know what Gortat can do. That is why I asked the question. I think it would be a fair trade if the Nets want to move Lopez to the PF position and make a Twin Towers version like the Spurs had.

The point of this thread is that I do not think there is any player out there Magic fans would think was worth trading Gortat. But if Otis matched the offer just so he could get something in return for Gortat eventually, that is the reason I asked the question. None of us knows what Otis was thinking when he matched the deal. I think everyone can agree Gortat is the best backup center in the league, but at some point based on his pay, he will require more floor time or demand a trade. It is that simple. IMO there is not another player out there that I would trade Gortat for because he is valuable to the Magic. It is something to think about though given how unpredictable Otis is.

quote:
Originally posted by Faux Hawk:

Here is my point. Lopez can play PF if he was required to because he has Tim Duncan type of range. Looking at our team do we keep Gortat as Dwight's backup? I would prefer we did regardless of what Gortat may want for his future. But if we were put in a position to trade him I was looking at our team long term. I think if we lost Gortat, Bass can be Dwight's back up. If Jersey really wanted Gortat (which they probably don't), I would trade Gortat for Lee & Jianlian. The trade would work when Gortat loses his BYC status. That would give us a very young nucleus. We all know what Lee can do and we also know what Gortat can do. That is why I asked the question. I think it would be a fair trade if the Nets want to move Lopez to the PF position and make a Twin Towers version like the Spurs had.

first of all why even mention the trade proposal if you already know that the Nets don't want gortat? the essence of a trade proposal is to play GM and make hypothetical moves that would be beneficial for both teams and fill the needs of your own team.

your post already answered why that trade would not work. why concern yourself with building a young nucleus when your team is more than just a playoff team? the magic has 3-4 years window to win a championship with what they have now. magic should concentrate on that and not stockpiling youth and potential for the future. you do that at the tail-end of your window.

as for lee, its a no brainer, everyone here loved him. but when you got barnes and pietrus behind carter, where do you place him? 10th man in the rotation for the next 3-4 years? won't work for the magic, nets and lee.

quote:
Originally posted by wowski:

quote:

first of all why even mention the trade proposal if you already know that the Nets don't want gortat? the essence of a trade proposal is to play GM and make hypothetical moves that would be beneficial for both teams and fill the needs of your own team.

your post already answered why that trade would not work. why concern yourself with building a young nucleus when your team is more than just a playoff team? the magic has 3-4 years window to win a championship with what they have now. magic should concentrate on that and not stockpiling youth and potential for the future. you do that at the tail-end of your window.

as for lee, its a no brainer, everyone here loved him. but when you got barnes and pietrus behind carter, where do you place him? 10th man in the rotation for the next 3-4 years? won't work for the magic, nets and lee.

well said some just never think.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I give up. I would trade Gortat for Joe Johnson and Al Horford.

Me too.

GET IT DONE OTIS!

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I just heard the Lakers were willing to trade Odom and Farmar for Dwight Howard. It must be a done deal since they are willing to do it.

I think I'd quit watching basketball if that happened.

quote:
Originally posted by wowski:

quote:

Barnes is a one year rental BTW. And I am talking about AFTER Gortat loses his BYC, which is next summer. The real point of the thread is to find out what Magic fans would be comfortable with in a trade for Gortat. Given his potential and the way he currently plays, there is not a lot out there that would be considered "fair value" Lee is the ONLY player I thought would be close enough to fair value. But this can easily be a discussion of what Otis will do once Gortat loses his BYC. Will Otis trade him or keep him and if he trades him, what do Magic fans expect to get. Like I said Lee would be the only young player I would be happy with that might be a tradable asset from another team.

EDIT: Otis is due to lay an egg with a transaction. I am just hoping it is not trading away Gortat.