Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

Interesting position on Rashards contract...what side do you fall on?

I found this discussion on the Realgm site and wondered where our members find themselves on this issue.

My postion has not changed in regards to the size of the contract and that we would not be able to build our team going forward, but I still wanted him on this team, overpaid or not!

What do you guys think?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/v...ic.php?f=25&t=950611

I found this discussion on the Realgm site and wondered where our members find themselves on this issue.

My postion has not changed in regards to the size of the contract and that we would not be able to build our team going forward, but I still wanted him on this team, overpaid or not!

What do you guys think?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/v...ic.php?f=25&t=950611

Same as always, Rashard is a solid player, but Otis did overpay for him. After losing Darko he panicked and was not going to lose Rashard. I think Rashard would have signed the same contract for $75 to $80 million - the amount his agent was seeking and wanting for Rashard.

I guess the Knicks or another team were trying to pull off a trade and Otis offered the max and a 6th year.

The only thing it hurts is that you can get a $6m a year guy and Rashard if they didn't over pay Rashard - that would have helped us keep a guy like Gortat and not be so far over the luxury tax. Now, I think we have to trade Gortat who will be a solid player as a starter elsewhere.

It would be nice to be able to get a $6m a year guy that is not named Tony Battie.

The answer is yes, he's grossly overpaid, & it doesn't matter as long as the Magic are willing to exceed the luxury tax.

When they claimed to be unwilling to exceed the luxury tax, it appeared to be another Grant Hill caliber albatrose in the making.

This idea is spot on imo. With him in the fold our identity was forged 2 years ago. What kind of team would we have if we hadn't signed him then? I'm quite happy with our identity, thank you. Being able to sign him for that price and still bring in the talent that we have brought in means to me that the price of his contract is inconsequential. While his contract is inconsequential his role on our team is not, so if the contract bashing hasn't been put to bed already, it should be once and for all after the great offseason Otis had.

They paid out of their arse for him.

I like the guy. Great player. He gave this team another dimension that proved dividends and took us to a finals series, but he doesn't warrant that kinda money.

All in all, the majority of these athletes don't deserve the kinda money their on. So good luck to him and them.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

I always wondered if Rashard read this board....now I know he does. Sure he should be getting paid more than Dwight, Kobe, Lebron and everyone (read everyone) in the NBA LOL. If we decide to pay lux tax and it isnt my money...why not?

Wow, you have come full circle on the subject.