Sign in to follow this  
HoopsCzar

HoopsCzar asks if the Bop in Boise was handled fairly

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

And sorry but saying Blount's punch was directly caused by Hout's words isn't retarded buddy. It's called Inciting Violence and it is actually a legal term that is punishable by law.

Um, incitement doesn't mean what you think it does, at least on a legal level. The only way it would really be comparable in this case is if Hout had said: "You should totally punch me right now. Come on, man! Do it! PUNCH ME! AS SOON AS I TURN AWAY, PUNCH ME RIGHT IN THE FACE!"

Essentially unless you're talking about inciting a riot, incitement is synonymous with aiding and abetting, which doesn't remotely apply in this case.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

What a stunning display of ignorance on the part of so many.

Where in our society is it deemed acceptable to respond to taunting words with acts of violence? Or where is the equality in those actions?

Some folks have been watching the WWWF (or whatever professional wrestling league you now watch) for wwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too long, and they actually base their conscious on these concepts. Jerry Springer would be proud.

Being totally disconnected from rational thought must be a disturbing existence.

Who here has said what Blount did is acceptable. I know I haven't, and I don't seem to remember any one else saying it either. What most people seem to be arguing right now is wither or not Hout's actions deserved a harsher punishment.

Your post seems to be one of the more ignorant one's in this entire thread.

Yeah, I tend to go for the shock value.

But your statement is not true. Many are also arguing that there was some level of justification in Blount's actions, and that he was over-penalized.

In a world of billowy clouds, pretty flowers and beautiful dancing ballerinas, then Hout's actions were intolerable.

In the real world of big time sports with big time dollars (which college football is), Hout's actions were commonplace and downright mild.

Blount may not be a bad person, but he made a stupendous mistake. Just because you are not a bad person does not mean that you will not be judged for the mistakes you might make.

Plexico Burress may not be a bad person either.

Being stupid or losing control of your emotions is not justification for changing the severity of a penalty.

Quite frankly, the severity of the penalty may be the only thing that saves him from facing criminal charges.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

And sorry but saying Blount's punch was directly caused by Hout's words isn't retarded buddy. It's called Inciting Violence and it is actually a legal term that is punishable by law.

Um, incitement doesn't mean what you think it does, at least on a legal level. The only way it would really be comparable in this case is if Hout had said: "You should totally punch me right now. Come on, man! Do it! PUNCH ME! AS SOON AS I TURN AWAY, PUNCH ME RIGHT IN THE FACE!"

Essentially unless you're talking about inciting a riot, incitement is synonymous with aiding and abetting, which doesn't remotely apply in this case.

Saying Incitement is synonymous with aiding and abetting is quite a stretch DoM. Incitement would be indirectly bringing about a crime through another party. Where as aiding and abetting would be directly contributing to the actual unlawful act that another party is committing.

As for what Incitement is, it can mean several different things on a legal level. Wither it be direct persuasion or spurring some one on (which you so aptly described), or it could be viewed as the act of provoking someone, which could be taken in any number of ways, wither that be verbally (which I believe Hout did) or physically (which you described as shoving someone in the arm.

quote:

Yeah, I tend to go for the shock value.

But your statement is not true. Many are also arguing that there was some level of justification in Blount's actions, and that he was over-penalized.

In a world of billowy clouds, pretty flowers and beautiful dancing ballerinas, then Hout's actions were intolerable.

In the real world of big time sports with big time dollars (which college football is), Hout's actions were commonplace and downright mild.

Blount may not be a bad person, but he made a stupendous mistake. Just because you are not a bad person does not mean that you will not be judged for the mistakes you might make.

Plexico Burress may not be a bad person either.

Being stupid or losing control of your emotions is not justification for changing the severity of a penalty.

Quite frankly, the severity of the penalty may be the only thing that saves him from facing criminal charges.

I haven't seen many arguing justification but it might be that you and I have a different view of justification. It may be that more people understand why Blount did it but may not agree with the actual act of him doing it. It's like when you see a situation and you say... Wow this really isn't a smart thing to do but I'm gonna do it anyway cause I really just don't care. I think we all have had a situation like that in our lives haven't we?

Not saying again that Blount's actions were not completely and absolutely wrong and should never have been committed. But I do see why it happened and the series of events that led to it.

I agree with you too by the way. The severity of his punishment most certainly is saving Blount from criminal charges.

quote:

It's like when you see a situation and you say... Wow this really isn't a smart thing to do but I'm gonna do it anyway cause I really just don't care.

I had to laugh when I read this statement. It reminds me of so many of the videos we all see on the internet or TV that causes folks to acknowledge that the lost words spoken by most Rednecks is "Hey, watch this !!!!!

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the discussion. You just painted a picture in my warped mind that humored me.....

quote:

quote:

It's like when you see a situation and you say... Wow this really isn't a smart thing to do but I'm gonna do it anyway cause I really just don't care.

I had to laugh when I read this statement. It reminds me of so many of the videos we all see on the internet or TV that causes folks to acknowledge that the lost words spoken by most Rednecks is "Hey, watch this !!!!!

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the discussion. You just painted a picture in my warped mind that humored me.....

Glad I got someone to laugh. No intellectual argument is right without some laughter.

quote:

Again I'm not saying that Blount is innocent here. But does this situation happen if Hout is a better, smarter, and classier man? No it does not. To me that makes him guilty. As guilty as Blount? No. But guilty none the less.

Guilty of having a particular lack of class, as it pertains to his own actions. Not responsible nor guilty of the actions taken by Blount. At all.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

It wasn't handled fairly at all. I felt like Blount was wrong for reacting the way he did but he shouldn't have been suspended for the rest of the season. It should've been at least 4-6 games suspension for BOTH players. Blount was clearly walking off the field in the video and Hout had to come up to him, put his hand on him and saying something that set him off. This would've never happened if Hout didn't say or do nothing. Things happen and this isn't the first time a fight or punch happened in a football game. The penalty was way to strict and needs to be reduced. Hout just gets a slap on the wrist. Nothing happens to him. If I was Blount I would be contacting Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson immediately. Yeah he was wrong but dang it was not as bad as it seemed. Yeah suspend both players and move on. Not just 1 of them. Hout didn't throw the punch but he instigated it.

So if you were to shove someone in the arm, and they turned around and shot you in the chest, you'd be equally culpable because you started it?

Your way off on that one. Instigation is bigger than the actual punch in my opinion. That starts the whole thing. What player would take it well if they was running their mouth off all week and didn't show up in the game. He was already pissed off about losing and getting shutdown. Why go up to him and say anything to him. Just let him go into the locker room. Hout didn't have to say anything cause his team already got the win. What else do you really need to say. Hout showed no class at all. Only thing Hout should've set was "GOOD GAME" and moved on. But he didn't, he said whatever he said and then tried to laugh it off. How would any of you take if somebody say something to piss you off even more and then laugh in your face. Boise State coach over heard what Hout said and tried to stop him but he was too late. That's were the instigation comes in. You can't expect to just say something and don't expect nothing in return. You don't know how people will react but he should've kept his mouth shut and been the bigger man and say good game. That's what we all was taught way back in little league. He knows that and still had to say what he had to say. That's why he needs to be suspended as well. Sports are filled with many emotions and it showed that it didn't take much to set Blount off. Why add gas to the fire. Makes no sense at all. But in this situation only 1 guy gets the suspension and the other gets off with no penalty. Clearly not a fair call. Suspend both players for their actions and move on. The suspension was way to strict and 1 sided. Both players should've been suspended for at least 4-6 games. The way the Boise State coach reacted clearly shows that whatever Hout said it wasn't " GOOD GAME". So even though Blount threw the punch, Hout threw the first punch by starting this whole mess. And he gets to play the next week while Blount is basically done for his college career. That is not right at all.

quote:

Your way off on that one. Instigation is bigger than the actual punch in my opinion.

That is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing I've heard in months.

By the nature of the metaphor you responded to, you are saying that if you shoved someone in the arm, and they turned around and shot you in the chest, you're saying that what YOU did was actually worse than their shooting you.

I write it as a joke all the time, but holy Natalie: The knowledge you exist is a burden on my soul.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Again I'm not saying that Blount is innocent here. But does this situation happen if Hout is a better, smarter, and classier man? No it does not. To me that makes him guilty. As guilty as Blount? No. But guilty none the less.

Guilty of having a particular lack of class, as it pertains to his own actions. Not responsible nor guilty of the actions taken by Blount. At all.

Agree entirely. I just think that there is a whole seperate charge of inciting violence that should also be levied against him and should give him at least a 1 game suspension. But in the end Blount's actions are his responsibility.

Again maybe the reason I dont like this so much is because I hate athletes like hout who feel like its right to talk smack after the game, especially after you win. I'm fine with Jawing before the game. To me it makes you the worst kind of sportsman and it should be punished in situations like this.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Agree entirely. I just think that there is a whole seperate charge of inciting violence that should also be levied against him and should give him at least a 1 game suspension. But in the end Blount's actions are his responsibility.

Again maybe the reason I dont like this so much is because I hate athletes like hout who feel like its right to talk smack after the game, especially after you win. I'm fine with Jawing before the game. To me it makes you the worst kind of sportsman and it should be punished in situations like this.

So, it's okay to talk trash for a week prior to the game, but not okay after the game? Trash talk is trash talk. If you are going to run your mouth all week saying hwo you're going to kick my ***, and I kick your ***, you bet your *** I'm going to remind you of all that trash you talked leading up to the game.

quote:

quote:

Your way off on that one. Instigation is bigger than the actual punch in my opinion.

By the nature of the metaphor you responded to, you are saying that if you shoved someone in the arm, and they turned around and shot you in the chest, you're saying that what YOU did was actually worse than their shooting you.

I write it as a joke all the time, but holy Natalie: The knowledge you exist is a burden on my soul.

You have to be one of the most ignorant posters on here. I guess that is God's plan for you in this world. To just sit on here and be an *** all day. Your analogy was way off and you know it. What the hell does shove somebody and the other pulling a gun out on you have to do with this situation. Wasn't funny or humorous at all. Maybe to you but to everyone else it seems a bit preschool like. You love being an *** and I still don't get that sh**. You need a hobby. I guess whatever gets you through the work day. I can't believe that there are actually people like you in the world. God fu** up when he created you. People like you are the reason I rarely comment on this forum anymore. If you can't understand my opinion on this situation then don't read any of my post. I mean you actually just be on here to just be an *** all day every day. Get a dam n life. It is not that serious. You need a hug or something. Just hateful for no reason at all. And you always bring up dumb comments that have no relation to the topic just to start sh**. You know whats really stupid, calling other posters opinions stupid just cause you don't agree with them. NOW THAT'S STUPID. I'm entitled to my own opinion, you can either agree or disagree but don't call somebody opinion stupid just cause you think differently.

I would never call nobody on any forum opinions stupid. Instigation does start a lot of things that shouldn't happen. If Blount is walking towards the locker room and Hout DOESN'T say anything to Blount, does the punch ever happens?

For a person who thinks he knows everything as yourself should know the answer to that question. Your like the comedian nobody laughs at cause the jokes aren't funny. Need some new material. Makes no sense to be the way you are.

People who don't have opinions are stupid. I'm surprised you haven't been banned a long time ago. I was banned a year ago for just stating my frustration towards a Arroyo lover poster. I never his comments or way of thinking were stupid. But it seems you do that on a daily basis. Were is the justice Mods. See how your remark caused me to say what I said. I wouldn't even said none of this if you didn't start me. I guess you and Hout are 2 of the same.