Sign in to follow this  
You're Fat, Pat!

The Official 2009 NCAA Football Thread

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

Didn't Florida play Miami last year? Oh yeah we did, this argument is crazy, Florida has been playing one of the toughest schedules evry year for the past decade in the best conference in football. Say what you want about Georgia or SC or Vandy but they are better than most in the ACC. It is crazy that a Florida ST fan would come in ragging on the schedule when the ACC is garbage and has been for a while. The ACC is terrible, and Fl ST is a joke of a team, who honestly will struggle against almost everyone. They almost lost to Jacksonville St.

Who cares if Florida has an easy NC schedule, they can do that because they play in the best conference and strength of schedule argument is just as ignorant. Base on what? Pre season rankings? That means nothing an guess what we still have to play the SEC championship against Alabama or Ole Miss both of who are much better than the best team in the ACC. Look what Bama did to Tech, so don't judge strength of schedule based on pre season ranking when half those teams won't be in the top 25 anyway. We beat all the top teams when we play them in NC's so to say oh they shouldn't be ranked #1 is crazy. Hey lets vote Texas #1 in a conference who plays no defense at all or USC who is in a one team conference. Is this what happens when Basketball fans talk about college football?

Classic example of SEC fans assuming they are better than all conferences, maybe better than the NFL. Hate to break it to you, but the SEC was the 3rd, maybe the 4th best conference last year.

Big 12 - Nuff said. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. Even Baylor is a good team they just get outclassed by the rest of the conference. Don't forget Missouri and Kansas up north. Now I know, SEC fans will argue that UF beat OU, and Miss beat Tech, let's look at those two games. First, UF didn't beat OU, OU beat OU, watch the game. Second, Tech was like a tournament snub in basketball that gets knocked out in the first round of the NIT. They could've cared less about the Cotton Bowl, they were bitter about not going to a BCS bowl.

ACC - Here's where SEC fans prove their ingorance. When you rank a conference you have to look at the conference as a WHOLE. That means top to BOTTOM. The ACC sent 10 teams to bowls last year, a record in NCAA.

Pac 10 - Doesn't get much love from ESPN because they were on the west coast, but they were very impressive in bowl season.

SEC - Florida, great team. Alabama, good team. Ole Miss, solid team. LSU and Georgia, mediocre. Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Mississippi State and Kentucky were awful. Not bad, awful. That hurts you when ranking a conference when half of it was terrible. SEC fan's response, "Well, Auburn used to have Bo Jackson, and Tennessee used to have Peyton Manning". They're not there anymore, stop looking at the logos on the helmet and look at the play on the field.

One last note: "Look at what Bama did to Tech", okay, let's look at it. Bama barely beat Tech (actually had to come back) with Tech missing their best player. Just thought I would throw that out there.

quote:
ACC - Here's where SEC fans prove their ingorance. When you rank a conference you have to look at the conference as a WHOLE. That means top to BOTTOM. The ACC sent 10 teams to bowls last year, a record in NCAA.

How much of those bowl games did the Acc win? And wasnt it widely disputed by just about every analyst out there, that ACC was pretty putrid last year, and even this year after there terrible start to start the season.

Florida is the best team in NCAA Football. They could probably score 21 points a game this year, even against a tougher schedule, and still win out. Florida State fans can talk all they want about how rediculous Florida's schedule is but they know they're just jealous. Get a better coach who doesn't have alzheimers and a better recruiter and maybe you could stack a team like Florida has. I'm sorry but I'm just tired of everyone hating on Florida and Tebow.

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:

Didn't Florida play Miami last year? Oh yeah we did, this argument is crazy, Florida has been playing one of the toughest schedules evry year for the past decade in the best conference in football. Say what you want about Georgia or SC or Vandy but they are better than most in the ACC. It is crazy that a Florida ST fan would come in ragging on the schedule when the ACC is garbage and has been for a while. The ACC is terrible, and Fl ST is a joke of a team, who honestly will struggle against almost everyone. They almost lost to Jacksonville St.

Who cares if Florida has an easy NC schedule, they can do that because they play in the best conference and strength of schedule argument is just as ignorant. Base on what? Pre season rankings? That means nothing an guess what we still have to play the SEC championship against Alabama or Ole Miss both of who are much better than the best team in the ACC. Look what Bama did to Tech, so don't judge strength of schedule based on pre season ranking when half those teams won't be in the top 25 anyway. We beat all the top teams when we play them in NC's so to say oh they shouldn't be ranked #1 is crazy. Hey lets vote Texas #1 in a conference who plays no defense at all or USC who is in a one team conference. Is this what happens when Basketball fans talk about college football?

Classic example of SEC fans assuming they are better than all conferences, maybe better than the NFL. Hate to break it to you, but the SEC was the 3rd, maybe the 4th best conference last year.

Big 12 - Nuff said. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. Even Baylor is a good team they just get outclassed by the rest of the conference. Don't forget Missouri and Kansas up north. Now I know, SEC fans will argue that UF beat OU, and Miss beat Tech, let's look at those two games. First, UF didn't beat OU, OU beat OU, watch the game. Second, Tech was like a tournament snub in basketball that gets knocked out in the first round of the NIT. They could've cared less about the Cotton Bowl, they were bitter about not going to a BCS bowl.

Pac 10 - Doesn't get much love from ESPN because they were on the west coast, but they were very impressive in bowl season.

SEC - Florida, great team. Alabama, good team. Ole Miss, solid team. LSU and Georgia, mediocre. Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Mississippi State and Kentucky were awful. Not bad, awful. That hurts you when ranking a conference when half of it was terrible. SEC fan's response, "Well, Auburn used to have Bo Jackson, and Tennessee used to have Peyton Manning". They're not there anymore, stop looking at the logos on the helmet and look at the play on the field.

One last note: "Look at what Bama did to Tech", okay, let's look at it. Bama barely beat Tech (actually had to come back) with Tech missing their best player. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Please tell me your not serious, Texas Tech is garbage this year and last year they are highly overrated. Ok St just got crushed so yeah their great. OK lost to Florida and this year are not as good as last year with or without Bradford. Texas is the only great team in that Conference. Baylor? Are you kidding me, they have an exciting QB no doubt. But I can name 8 teams in the SEC who are better.

Pac 10? You have to be kidding me, USC is good but even they are overrated. Who else? Cal is the only one and they are good this year not last. The second best team in the conference got killed by Boise state. You have to look at performance against good teams which your not. Who cares about records.

Yeah lets look at Bama vs tech, Bama dominated in every way except for mistakes. IF it wasn't the first week and say middle of the season Bama would have won by 30 points. They still won handily so I don't see your argument. Wow your running back was out, the backup is just as good, and Bama has no QB. I go to Va Tech and live in Blacksburg. ANy Tech fan will tell you that Bama is probably the second or 3rd best team in the country.

Ole Miss solid? Man they won their bowl game and beat Florida. Who else did that? No one in the swamp, your right solid. Give me a break they are better than any team in the ACC along with Bama and probably LSU. Miami looks good but yeat they played Florida State who is garbage and a highly overrated Tech team. Next thing your going to say is BC is great.

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:

Heres another fact instead of some biased crap that your writing. ACC was 4-6 in their bowl games. Thats a 40% winning percentage 2nd worst out of every conference last year. The ACC is the worst BCS conference in football, even the Big East is better.

quote:
Originally posted by mikemagicfan08:

Florida is the best team in NCAA Football. They could probably score 21 points a game this year, even against a tougher schedule, and still win out. Florida State fans can talk all they want about how rediculous Florida's schedule is but they know they're just jealous. Get a better coach who doesn't have alzheimers and a better recruiter and maybe you could stack a team like Florida has. I'm sorry but I'm just tired of everyone hating on Florida and Tebow.

That is the most amazing statement I have ever seen.

There has never been a football player more glorified by the media than Tim Tebow.

Which is fine, as I like the kid too. But to suggest that "everyone is hating on him" is not a stretch. It is a direct-connect to Fantasy Land.

quote:

Miami looks good but yeat they played Florida State who is garbage and a highly overrated Tech team. Next thing your going to say is BC is great.

Miami plays 4 ranked teams in four weeks to open their schedule. Compared to UF who doesn't play a ranked team until week 5 (and may not play another ranked team until the SEC Chamionship game), well, there really is no comparison. Miami has already proven they belong in the rankings. All UF has proven thus far is that they can beat a Charleston Southern team by a slightly wider margin than the football powerhouse Wofford who also put a licken on em, and a Troy team that hasn't proven that they belong in D1 yet.

For anybody else who is inaccurately reading my criticisim of UF's schedule as some sort of Gator hate from a Seminole fan, that is simply not the case. I have the exact same criticism of Texas (40th SOS), Bama (68th SOS), Penn St (72nd SOS), BYU (71st SOS), Cal (51st SOS), and perhaps the most egregious example of my point, Boise St (117th SOS).

IMO, if a team wants to be considered #1, they should be required to play a highly competitive schedule (somewhere in the top30 would be nice).

The problem is, the schedules are made far in advance, and the rankings can change drastically over the course of a few seasons.

A SEC schedule can be very rough depending on the year. Sometimes a team like UF might have to face a couple of legit contenders to make it to the top, and sometimes they slide by a little.

LSU, Bama, Georgia, Tenn all put out fairly solid teams for the most part. Their ranking might come and go, but they are by and large, fairly solid teams to have on your schedule regularly.

Unless you schedule games over the summer, and there is some sort of system set up to make scheduling impartial and weighted appropriately for every team (or every team wishing to declare themselves eligible to compete for the national title), you are going to run into this issue all the time.

I kind of like the idea of teams declaring themselves eligible for title contention, and leaving two games on their schedule open. With the understanding that those games will be determined based off of their overall strength of schedule in comparison with other contenders in an effort to level out SOS.

Have a relatively easy schedule one year, expect two tough games to be added on. Play a tougher schedule, expect a couple lighter opponents.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

The problem is, the schedules are made far in advance, and the rankings can change drastically over the course of a few seasons.

A SEC schedule can be very rough depending on the year. Sometimes a team like UF might have to face a couple of legit contenders to make it to the top, and sometimes they slide by a little.

LSU, Bama, Georgia, Tenn all put out fairly solid teams for the most part. Their ranking might come and go, but they are by and large, fairly solid teams to have on your schedule regularly.

Unless you schedule games over the summer, and there is some sort of system set up to make scheduling impartial and weighted appropriately for every team (or every team wishing to declare themselves eligible to compete for the national title), you are going to run into this issue all the time.

I kind of like the idea of teams declaring themselves eligible for title contention, and leaving two games on their schedule open. With the understanding that those games will be determined based off of their overall strength of schedule in comparison with other contenders in an effort to level out SOS.

Have a relatively easy schedule one year, expect two tough games to be added on. Play a tougher schedule, expect a couple lighter opponents.

Mandatory conference games are not the problem. It's the 3-4 non-conference PAID FOR matchups against the lightweights that presents a problem. All teams do it, but some teams do it more than others. And if this is the case, I think it should reflect in the rankings. If you want to schedule cupcakes then your ranking will suffer. Because the way I see it, right now teams like UF are paying millions for opponents like CS, Troy, and FIU to be doormats on their schedule in route to championship consideration, without being penalized whatsoever for playing lesser competition.

To be fair to UF AGAIN, they're not the only team doing it. Bama is paying North texas, FAU, LA Lafayette, & SE LA to be doormats. And Penn State is paying Wofford, North Illinois, and Akron to be doormats. Etc, etc.

I have a problem with any team that can purposely schedule cupcakes, pay them to show up on the schedule, and then lay claim to the #1 ranking.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Miami looks good but yeat they played Florida State who is garbage and a highly overrated Tech team. Next thing your going to say is BC is great.

Miami plays 4 ranked teams in four weeks to open their schedule. Compared to UF who doesn't play a ranked team until week 5 (and may not play another ranked team until the SEC Chamionship game), well, there really is no comparison. Miami has already proven they belong in the rankings. All UF has proven thus far is that they can beat a Charleston Southern team by a slightly wider margin than the football powerhouse Wofford who also put a licken on em, and a Troy team that hasn't proven that they belong in D1 yet.

For anybody else who is inaccurately reading my criticisim of UF's schedule as some sort of Gator hate from a Seminole fan, that is simply not the case. I have the exact same criticism of Texas (40th SOS), Bama (68th SOS), Penn St (72nd SOS), BYU (71st SOS), Cal (51st SOS), and perhaps the most egregious example of my point, Boise St (117th SOS).

IMO, if a team wants to be considered #1, they should be required to play a highly competitive schedule (somewhere in the top30 would be nice).

Those games are scheduled way in advance, Miami is doing it because they have to become a reputable team again. So they need to provide a challenge. Lets be real Florida plays Florida State every year and it is a blowout. Miami has a strong schedule this year(or once agin looks tough). But guess what at the end of the year when Georgia Tech and Florida ST both have 4 or 5 or 6 losses then it does not look as good. Once again it would be stupid for any SEC team to schedule 3 or 4 tough NC games. It is nearly impossible to come out of the SEC undefeated, thats the point. Does Miami playing a tougher schedule negate the fact that if they played each other Florida would win easily? No, plus once again I would bet money that more SEC teams finish in the top 25 so thats what counts. Not to mention you don't look at the bowl records that clearly shows that the SEC(playing a cupcake schedule) handily beat other good teams from other conferences.

Not to mention anyone can beat anyone, Florida st barely beat Jacksonville St. USC lost to Stanford and Oregon ST. Michigan lost to Applachian ST.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Not to mention Anyone can beat Anyone. So its still tough and most greta teams usually lose to bad ones. Its tough to get 18-21 yr old kids motivated. I mean c'mon Florida ST barley beat Jacksonville ST . I see your argument if the team plays in a bad conference but if you play in the best conference in football who cares.

quote:

Those games are scheduled way in advance, Miami is doing it because they have to become a reputable team again. So they need to provide a challenge. Lets be real Florida plays Florida State every year and it is a blowout. Miami has a strong schedule this year(or once agin looks tough). But guess what at the end of the year when Georgia Tech and Florida ST both have 4 or 5 or 6 losses then it does not look as good. Once again it would be stupid for any SEC team to schedule 3 or 4 tough NC games. It is nearly impossible to come out of the SEC undefeated, thats the point. Does Miami playing a tougher schedule negate the fact that if they played each other Florida would win easily? No, plus once again I would bet money that more SEC teams finish in the top 25 so thats what counts. Not to mention you don't look at the bowl records that clearly shows that the SEC(playing a cupcake schedule) handily beat other good teams from other conferences.

Why am I not surprised that once again you are missing the point completely.