Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

Create the best possible lineup from Magic players, past and present in their primes

PG- Penny Hardaway/ Jameer Nelson/ Scott Skiles

SG- Vince Carter/ Tracy McGrady/ Nick Anderson

SF- Grant Hill/ Rashard Lewis/ Hedo Turkgolu

PF- Horace Grant/ Ben Wallace/ Shawn Kemp

C- Shaq/ Patrick Ewing/ Dwight Howard

TheRevTy: your list is perfect IMO, for a franchise.

But mine, just for fun, would be...

PENNY HARDAWAY

VINCE CARTER

GRANT HILL

DWIGHT HOWARD

SHAQ O NEIL

6th man: Tracy McGrady

^look at the first 3 starters. 3 "next Michael Jordans" all in the same starting lineup. In their prime this isn't even fair.

-The reason why I didn't start Tmac, was because Vince/Tmac are kinda similiar offensive players, and I didn't think that'd work together well. So Tmac can come off the bench with a bunch of goons like Doug Christie and go 30ppg from the bench, since he's proven to be a monster scorer with scrubs. Hed backup the 2,3.

-Nick Anderson, Ewing, Billups, Mark Price, Nique, etc, would all be on the bench though.

How good could T-mac have been if he had a high-scoring running mate?

Looking back, Grant Hill probably wasn't the best choice to pair with him. They are both Pippen-esque players.

Also, I am shocked at the number of people who merely went down the list of "Best Magic Players Ever". Basketball, far more than any other sport, is about chemistry and player interactions.

If this was baseball, sure, just plug and play the best talent available.

Price/Penny/Billups/Jameer

McGrady/Wilkins/Nick

Hill/Lewis/Vince

Grant/Kemp/

Dwight/Shaq/Ewing

As for the starters, Dwight and Grant anchor the defense and grab nearly every rebound. Price because he distributes and is a knockdown shooter. McGrady is the elite scorer, and his length and athleticism made him a solid defender before his back and knees went out on him. Grant Hill in Detroit was a top 5 player and was ticketed for the Hall of Fame before the ankle of doom.

The second unit is pretty self explanatory.

The 15th man is the toughest consideration. Scott, Turk, and Jameer were all in the running. I couldn't think of a 3rd power forward that merited any of the those guys' exclusion from the team. Lewis would fill in just fine as the 3rd Power Forward. Since a bunch of those players can play 3, and Penny can play 2 or 3, and Lewis can move up to 4, it made sense for Jameer to make the roster instead of another 3.

Why does everyone have Dwight over Shaq?

Shaq in his prime is a player you dream to build your team around. He is a legend. It's arguable that Dwight may be better defensively, but you could throw just one of these wing players in their prime (T-Mac, VC, Penny, Grant) with Shaq in his prime and compose the rest of the roster with mediocre talent if you wanted and guarantee titles.

Dwight hasn't earned a spot over Shaq, or Ewing for that matter, on a Magic All Time team.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

Shaq in his prime is a player you dream to build your team around. He is a legend. It's arguable that Dwight may be better defensively, but you could throw just one of these wing players in their prime (T-Mac, VC, Penny, Grant) with Shaq in his prime and compose the rest of the roster with mediocre talent if you wanted and guarantee titles.

Dwight hasn't earned a spot over Shaq, or Ewing for that matter, on a Magic All Time team.

That's an embarrassingly good point. I'm going to hide behind a technicality and say that Dwight isn't in his prime yet.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

thats why i put shaq first. dwight may be better eventually but not now.