Sign in to follow this  
lemonice1

Would you still root for the Magic if they moved cities?

To me theyve always been the Orlando Magic. It woudnt be the same if they became the Kansas City Mgic, Seattle Magic, Las Vegas Magic or watever. If they did move i woudnt be happy. But id still support them none the less.

There have been times this year when it's been hard to root for the Orlando Magic. As a season ticket holder since day one, I'd find it very difficult to root for them in another city.

(Just like Shaq leaving magnified a couple hundred times!)

I would never root for the Magic in any other city with this same ownership group.

If them selling the team takes them to another locale, I might remain interested, but not really a fan.

And, yes, Knappy, I still like Shaq.

These owners didn't care if they kept him or not. They got caught up in the Penny hoopla, not realizing that Penny was Penny because of Shaq. They somehow seemed to think that Shaq was standing in Penny's way.

Yeah, right. Not a single player from the NBA Finals Magic team ever had any level of success playing on any other team, yet we all talk about what a great collection of players it was. Dennis Scott (my alltime favorite Magic player, by the way), Nick Anderson, Penny, etc. all became mediocre players elsewhere. Horace Grant came the closest to being the player he was when he went elsewhere.

It's on Magic ownership that we lost him, so why should I be mad at him? Especially when we had a 2nd shot at him several years ago when he was leaving the Lakers, yet our management chose to snub their noses at him again.

I root for the Orlando Magic because they are the Orlando Magic. There's a hometown pride involved. I've been loyal to my hometown team for all these years. If they get up and abandon my hometown... abandon me... I'll feel sick. I couldn't bring myself to root for another city's team. I couldn't bring myself to root for a team that left me in the dust, that left me feeling empty. Still root for the Magic? Heck, I'd probably hate the Magic.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I would never root for the Magic in any other city with this same ownership group.

If them selling the team takes them to another locale, I might remain interested, but not really a fan.

And, yes, Knappy, I still like Shaq.

These owners didn't care if they kept him or not. They got caught up in the Penny hoopla, not realizing that Penny was Penny because of Shaq. They somehow seemed to think that Shaq was standing in Penny's way.

Yeah, right. Not a single player from the NBA Finals Magic team ever had any level of success playing on any other team, yet we all talk about what a great collection of players it was. Dennis Scott (my alltime favorite Magic player, by the way), Nick Anderson, Penny, etc. all became mediocre players elsewhere. Horace Grant came the closest to being the player he was when he went elsewhere.

It's on Magic ownership that we lost him, so why should I be mad at him? Especially when we had a 2nd shot at him several years ago when he was leaving the Lakers, yet our management chose to snub their noses at him again.

Nick Anderson was not a mediocre player, before Shaq he was good, after Shaq he was pretty good. I remember that one year where it seemed like every night he made clutch shots can't remember the exact year though..and Penny was a star up until he had knee problems.

Also what were we supposed to give up for Shaq? the #1 pick? Shaq wouldn't have accepted a trade here if we had to trade T-Whine to get him.

Also IIRC Shaq still has a pretty good relationship for DeVos maybe it was Brian Hill and the allure of LA that made him leave?