Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Jose Calderon - Trade for him as PG Starter

I am new to the board but I have seen the recent discussions about our PG position and agree that Jameer should get a season on the bench to learn how the PG position is played. I think he has great potential but a year on the bench will do him good.

Jose Calderon has been amazing for Toronto and I think he would cherish the opportunity to come to Orlando and play with D12 and be a starter for the franchise. I don;t know the contract details and all that stuff as I am not that much of a fanatic but maybe one of you guys can check all these trade webistes to see if this is possible. I think Toronto have PG'sin abundance and we have a shortage so a trade might well be on the cards. I watched JC this year and the guy is amazing in creating opportunities for his team mates. He is also a potent shooter and defender. Oh yes, he can shoot free throws as well. Maybe he can teach some of our All Starts how to do that.

His stats are:

Min Played: 21

FG%: 0.521%

3P%: 0.333%

FT%: 0.818%

AST: 5.0

PTS: 8.7

I am new to the board but I have seen the recent discussions about our PG position and agree that Jameer should get a season on the bench to learn how the PG position is played. I think he has great potential but a year on the bench will do him good.

Jose Calderon has been amazing for Toronto and I think he would cherish the opportunity to come to Orlando and play with D12 and be a starter for the franchise. I don;t know the contract details and all that stuff as I am not that much of a fanatic but maybe one of you guys can check all these trade webistes to see if this is possible. I think Toronto have PG'sin abundance and we have a shortage so a trade might well be on the cards. I watched JC this year and the guy is amazing in creating opportunities for his team mates. He is also a potent shooter and defender. Oh yes, he can shoot free throws as well. Maybe he can teach some of our All Starts how to do that.

His stats are:

Min Played: 21

FG%: 0.521%

3P%: 0.333%

FT%: 0.818%

AST: 5.0

PTS: 8.7

I think he has a bright future in the NBA, but its just unlikely that Toronto deals him at all, he is as good as a starter for them. He sometimes starts over TJ.

I would love to see him here. What would it take for Toronto to trade him? Arroyo is a good back-up. If we can throw in another piece (Hedo)that they need they might be willing to let Calderon go.

Calderon before he came to the nba was by far the best pg in europe.Also Jose can play the pick and roll,just like he did with Gasol on the national team.I have to also mention that Claderon played with a very simmilar player to Redick on the Spanish National team.That player was Navaro a former Wizards rd.2 pick who is a legend in europe.Actually Redick and Navaro are the same height and both shoot very well.Calderon is better than both Arroyo and Nelson.I would compare him to Deron Williams from Utah.

quote:
Originally posted by vic110:

I would love to see him here. What would it take for Toronto to trade him? Arroyo is a good back-up. If we can throw in another piece (Hedo)that they need they might be willing to let Calderon go.

i don

Guys, I just checked the ESPN player profile and his salary is apparently USD 2.7m. I mean with our cap space this year, I am sure we can engineer something if we really want to.

I think Arroyo needs to be traded. No offence guys but Jameer is more versatile and therefore better coming off the bench. If we can trade Arroyo, Dooling and Beattie this year, keep Milic and Grant Hill, and sign Calderon plus a scorer, we are going to have a great team next year. WIth our cap space, I think this combination is really possible.

A couple of questions about this guy....

1) Can he defend or is he just going to be another liability? Gotta ask, cause a lateral move at this point is a waste of time.

2) Can he create for others and how is his court vision?

Sorry but I have to ask. I don't think any guard in the league would have performed well (Billup excepted) under Hills offensive plans this year. Now lets not start another fire coach thread..... But you have to admit my point is valid.

I think most of us can agree that we need a bigger guard who can defend and create for others. We also need to allow the players to do their thing just a little. Carlos flubbed in our offence this year, but I can't help but wonder how he would have done in a run and gun offence. The same can be said for Jameer.

I guess my point is this: This year we had no chance to properly evaluate our guards due to the offence they were subjected to. WE DID SEE that our guards can not defend (Dooling excepted). So, will this guy actually make us better?

I don't think his Calderon's contract is the problem. I just doubt that Toronto would give him up unless it was a really good offer. He is a very good player though. He's great off the dribble and makes very good decisions.

Welcome to the boards, Frank.

quote:

Hedo and Arroyo for Calderon?? :o

Another guy who has a similar talent who I've mentioned before is Jasickevicius.

Calderon would be tough to pry from Toronto. With a situation where you have both T.J and Jose, why would you break that up. I'm a huge, huge fan of Calderon's game and have been for a while. He's a smart baller. As is Jasi!