Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Artest agent says Magic 1 of 3 teams expected to pursue him(link)

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

wasnt there a report just yesterday from Ron's agent stating that he was seeking like $12+ a year?

Well in that case Ron would be way too expensive for us. Unless a deal involving Turk in a sign and trade adding Redick for Artest.

well the rockets are the only teams on that list that can offer more than the MLE, so id say we have as good a shot as any. sign him, and a cheap back C and call it a day

luckily, Ron's calling card doesn't require touches...

people tend to forget that every player, at some sage in their basketball lives needed the ball, they needed their touches...this is what training camp is for...

early 70's Knick's, Earl the Pearl and Walt Frazier, both of those guys NEEDED the ball more than any player, yet they played at the same time, and won rings...

quote:
Originally posted by ufballer86:

well the rockets are the only teams on that list that can offer more than the MLE, so id say we have as good a shot as any. sign him, and a cheap back C and call it a day

call it a way while still being 4 players under the league minimum with even less assets, sounds solid...

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

It's not about whether or not Artest is a selfish player, he needs touches. Just the same as Hedo needs touches, hell, even Peaches needs touches.

The perfect person to complete this starting lineup is Shane Battier. Plays great defense and doesn't need touches. Now being the perfect fit, and being the actual fit are two different things, but a man can dream.

Yeah Battier makes the most sense for us. Hes not going to demand the ball for touches and he will bring great defense and flopping. Can also shoot 3s. I would actually start Battier over Pietrus as well cause Pietrus brings scoring and defense off the bench which gives us a boost at times. Lewis can remain playing at the 4 all we really need is a banger type PF/C in the rotation. I think we have enough money to land a decent one. But Artest is clearly not a need. Might look good on paper but we dont need him at all. Unless he converted to being a role player but he pays $12mill per season for a role player. Then again who pays $118 mill for a shooter.

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Interesting...Artest could swing the title if those 3 teams are making a run for him. Kinda like the year Rodman ended up in Chi-town.

then we better go hard for him. with him in the mix i'd think we have a great chance to head back to the finals. we still need a pf though.

I think Artest would be a great fit for a few reasons...first, with Artest at the 3 that would take some of the burden of Rashard doing all of the things that a power forward needs to do. Ron Ron can rebound, play Defense on pretty much any 2,3, or 4 in the league, and from what I saw in the playoffs he can knock down an open jumper. His attitude and phyical style would make us the team to beat.

I mean seriously check out this line up...

Jameer

VC

Ron Ron

Rashard

D12

wow...

Just tell me he's not going to the Lakers for a hard shell beef taco, a vanilla shake and a 2nd round pick.

He doesn't go to the Lakers or Cavs and I'm fine without him, though I like him as much as many.

quote:

Lakers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic were three teams he expected to join Houston in "pursuit" of Artest.

Pursuit...pursuing...not much difference to me you English majors, lol...

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Put it like this, if Turk is getting 10mill per season, then Artest has to be in that range as well. Would you sign Artest for 10mill?

Another, Nelson Carter Artest Lewis Howard would be your starting lineup, how does this work out. Thats 5 scorers on the court together. Vince gonna demand the ball, so will Howard, Artest and Lewis. Everybody stats will drop and complaining will start due to players not getting the ball when they want it. There is no way this can work. If Artest is a smart man he should sign with the Lakers. Now if we didnt have Lewis then yeah Artest sounds good, but come on we have too many scorers now. Too many. We need role players that can bring defense and hustle. No big name players. The ball can only be shot but so many times. The Magic dont run the Knicks type of offense. Artest gets his shots, just a disaster waiting to happen. I ll take Battier though. A role player that doesnt take alot of shots and just plays defense. Thats what we need, more players like that. Artest is a scorer.

Lets just clear one thing up...You are saying Artest commands the ball however you want to resign Turk????? If anything, Artest needs the ball less than Hedo and brings much more to the team that Turk can't bring.

So if you are saying that Artest doesn't fit hear than you sure as hell don't think Turk fits in our system. I don't get it.

In my opinion, GET THE 5 BEST **** PLAYERS YOU CAN GET ON THE COURT AND LEAVE ALL THAT OTHER BS FOR THE COACHES AND PLAYERS TO FIGURE OUT.