Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Turk FA Update: Turk agrees to terms with Toronto (yes, Raptors, not Portland)

quote:
Originally posted by Escobar06:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

And yet another athlete who couldn't care less about playing for a title. Hedo you just traded in Dwight for Oden, ponder that little tidbit for a while you clown.

Is that really necessary? I want to see you turn down an additional million dollars before you call Turk a clown. Hell, I want to see you turn down a thousand dollars.

Terrible comparison. I'm an average American citizen, Hedo...when it comes to money...is in a group 99% of human beings ever born in human history will never be in. He already has more money than he could ever spend in a life time. He can live like a king if he stopped playing today and never worked another day in his life. Add in the fact that he now has to pay a state income tax and does it REALLY sound like his life, now and in the future, will be altered one bit by this new contract? Nope, sure doesn't.

So you would think that winning a championship, something so few players do, would factor in. Yet clearly it didn't. That's not to say it's a guarantee he would win one here, but if he believes Portland has a better chance of winning one than Orlando than he is not only greedy but dumb as well.

Portland has a very good team. I don't see any reason they can't contend (well except for the fact that they aren't a particularly good defensive team...but they weren't good before Turk got there.).

Money is money. The reason I mentioned a thousand dollars was to put the amount in perspective. He's going to make a significantly larger amount of money playing for the Blazers and he's still going to have a chance to compete for a championship.

You can protest all you want and you aren't going to convince me that you would turn down several million dollars to do anything...no matter how wealthy you are. For you to not only criticize Turk for doing so but to insult him as well is pathetic and completely hypocritical.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I wonder what the contract is for?

I'm assuming nothing that will have to involve us.

I think this will really depend a lot on what the salary cap comes in at. If it is on the low side of the projected $57-59M, then Portland may have to do a S&T with us to give Hedo the starting salary they have promised him, which means we would get a player and a TE. If it comes in closer to the $59M then they can probably sign him outright. I don't expect they will give up Outlaw, Fernandez or Blake; our best hopes are probably Batum or Bayless.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And yet another athlete who couldn't care less about playing for a title. Hedo you just traded in Dwight for Oden, ponder that little tidbit for a while you clown.

Is that really necessary? I want to see you turn down an additional million dollars before you call Turk a clown. Hell, I want to see you turn down a thousand dollars.

Terrible comparison. I'm an average American citizen, Hedo...when it comes to money...is in a group 99% of human beings ever born in human history will never be in. He already has more money than he could ever spend in a life time. He can live like a king if he stopped playing today and never worked another day in his life. Add in the fact that he now has to pay a state income tax and does it REALLY sound like his life, now and in the future, will be altered one bit by this new contract? Nope, sure doesn't.

So you would think that winning a championship, something so few players do, would factor in. Yet clearly it didn't. That's not to say it's a guarantee he would win one here, but if he believes Portland has a better chance of winning one than Orlando than he is not only greedy but dumb as well.

Portland has a very good team. I don't see any reason they can't contend (well except for the fact that they aren't a particularly good defensive team...but they weren't good before Turk got there.).

Money is money. The reason I mentioned a thousand dollars was to put the amount in perspective. He's going to make a significantly larger amount of money playing for the Blazers and he's still going to have a chance to compete for a championship.

You can protest all you want and you aren't going to convince me that you would turn down several million dollars to do anything...no matter how wealthy you are. For you to not only criticize Turk for doing so but to insult him as well is pathetic and completely hypocritical.

Hypocritical? Please don't pretend to know me. To say I'm being a hypocrite is to say you know exactly what I would do in his situation, and you don't. THAT is pathetic.

Nothing I do in life is because of money, and that wouldn't change if I was an NBA player. Hedo isn't a young guy looking for his first lucrative deal. He is filthy rich and his financial future is set. As I said before, the extra money Portland gave him will in no way change his lifestyle. It really all boils down to the human desire for more more more. I'm just getting a little sick and tired of hearing how important titles are to players only to see them PROVE time and again they don't really mean what they say.

Sure Portland has a chance, every team has a chance, it's just not as good as Orlando's. Grant Hill left for a "better chance". Where did that get him? I loved watching Hill's greed come back to bite him and I'm going to love watching Hedo's do the same. You can root for guys who clearly play for money all you want, I refuse to. Fans pay what they do because they want to watch players who want to win, not watch players who are in it for the money. A player OWES it to every single fan of his team to care about nothing more than a championship.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hypocritical? Please don't pretend to know me. To say I'm being a hypocrite is to say you know exactly what I would do in his situation, and you don't. THAT is pathetic.

Nothing I do in life is because of money, and that wouldn't change if I was an NBA player. Hedo isn't a young guy looking for his first lucrative deal. He is filthy rich and his financial future is set. As I said before, the extra money Portland gave him will in no way change his lifestyle. It really all boils down to the human desire for more more more. I'm just getting a little sick and tired of hearing how important titles are to players only to see them PROVE time and again they don't really mean what they say.

Sure Portland has a chance, every team has a chance, it's just not as good as Orlando's. Grant Hill left for a "better chance". Where did that get him? I loved watching Hill's greed come back to bite him and I'm going to love watching Hedo's do the same. You can root for guys who clearly play for money all you want, I refuse to. Fans pay what they do because they want to watch players who want to win, not watch players who are in it for the money. A player OWES it to every single fan of his team to care about nothing more than a championship.

Forget the money, Hedo doesn't have a place on this team. Dwight needs the ball, Vince needs the ball, and Jameer is going to shoot the ball, and than we have Rashard. Hedo likes to dribble around and create and that just isn't going to work on this team.

Hedo is going to a team with a bright future and one where he can be a leader and seriously contribute.

Quit saying that Hedo is greedy and wishing that he sucks in Portland because I really believe he's doing what's best for him and in a business where teams do what's best for them with no regard for the players, the players have to do the same for themselves.

Hedo did great things here and I appreciate it, and I wish him well in Portland. I just hope that we can get something for him.

I know all I want to know. You chastise me for claiming that I know nothing about you and yet you have no problem criticizing Turk like you know all the details of his situation. Are you his personal accountant? You don't know how set he is financially. These players often times spend money just as fast as they make it. Its very common to hear about a former player that is broke because he didn't spend his money wisely.

BTW, this is Turk's first real big contract. He was on a rookie contract with the Kings/Spurs and we paid him the midlevel exception. So by NBA standards, he was making decent money but he wasn't rolling in it. This is his last opportunity to sign a big contract. I refuse to be so narrow minded as to begrudge him that. He already played the last two years of his contract here at bargain price for us. Asking him to do so for the rest of his career is just selfish on your part.

I would like to repeat, once again, that Portland is a very good squad. The man didn't just sign with the Clippers. There is every reason to believe that the Blazers will be in the playoffs once again next year.

quote:

BTW, this is Turk's first real big contract. He was on a rookie contract with the Kings/Spurs and we paid him the midlevel exception. So by NBA standards, he was making decent money but he wasn't rolling in it. This is his last opportunity to sign a big contract. I refuse to be so narrow minded as to begrudge him that. He already played the last two years of his contract here at bargain price for us. Asking him to do so for the rest of his career is just selfish on your part.

I would like to repeat, once again, that Portland is a very good squad. The man didn't just sign with the Clippers. There is every reason to believe that the Blazers will be in the playoffs once again next year.

+1 Hedo's role would have been very different with us next year - but I don't know that he will play the exact same role with Portland, as Roy is usually their "closer". In this case, I think it is mostly about the money. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with that. Wouldn't you consider changing jobs for a guaranteed "set-for-life" contract? I would. Also, Portland is definitely an up and coming team in need of a veteran or two; which means a bit more of a "leadership" role there. Again, not something he would really continue to have here.

Emory, I have to jump in. It is really annoying the hell out of me when people start talking hypocritical and calling people ' you dont know me' when they know nothing about other people.

first, hedo always said money is important for him (as you claimed title more important than money)

second, filthy rich??? 60% of NBA Players Broke After 5 Years..

http://ballhype.com/story/60_o...broke_after_5_years/

third, Hedo is being offered 15 mil more. I dont see how you refuse that.

Finally, Orlando does not need Heod and Hedo does not need Orlando at this point. Orlando have their playmaker now. Hedo's role would be substantially lower with VC's presence

Who say he is not gonna play for a title?

According to your logic then, he replaced vc with brandon roy, lewis with L altridge?

I believe there is chance as much as he was here...

quote:

We are waiting, probably tomorrow, magic's independence day!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Walddo:

Where is DOM's official celebration party being held?

quote:

Good for you Turk! I thank you for all you contributed over the years to the Magic and I wish you the best in Portland.

I would really love to see the same classy message from all posters whether they liked Turk or not, although I know it's not gonna happen.

But, a "BIG THANK YOU" to you emory889, for showing your class and setting a positive example.

quote:

...and while you were typing these, probably, Hedo was thinking;

"wow, I don't believe Orlando didn't give me a couple million more of those dollars they were spreading when it came to Dwight, Rashard and Jameer. Then, it means, they didn't want me at all. Why bother staying here then?!"

whether he was really thinking that or not, I'm just hoping that you understand there is always a two sides to a story.

Personally, I think, it's just business and nothing else.

Orlando had Hedo's services for 4 years. And they had very good value in return of their money, if you ask me.

Now, it's time for different promises, different contract, different expectations.