MagicFanBen

Otis...Prove your worth...GO GET FRAN

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:

Ben, would you care to explain to me how the Magic are going to pay for Fran's massive buyout? I mean, the Magic are only allowed to play for 500k of it....but the hell with it. Otis needs to prove his worth because he clearly hasn't done squat so far this summer.

They can;t it is all on Fran. That is why I said Otis should go over there and point out to his team what Gasol just did and how it would be in their countries best interest to let Fran out of his contract. It happens ll the time. Like Rubio has a HUGE buyout, but it was already said to the right team Rubio will be allowed out of his deal. It is a country pride thing. That is unless they know Fran is too much of a Pu$SY to actually play in the NBA. If so then why bother.

But my point is this is the best year he will probably ever get to crack the rotation. Because after we pick up our starting PF and do the rest of our moves, I do not expect bold moves next summer, which is the summer he is freed of the contract. Which means he will have a lot less chance to crack the rotation next year over this year. Which is how I said Otis should pitch it to him and his team. Play on the emotions of country pride. THey just had their first country man win the NBA title. Imagine what the TV ratings would have been back in Spain had Fran been on the Magic and it was Fran playing D on Gasol and vice versa all series. It almost becomes more important to the grown of Spanish basketball than anything else. At least that is how I would sell it.

And by the way they get to sell their own advertising over there. It was a national even when Pau won the title this year. I would have expected it to be even more so if two Spanish big men were going up against each other in the finals.

So you think Otis can convince Fran to pay 4 million dollars (just a guess, I don't know the actual amount) out of his own pocket so that he can play for the Magic and earn maybe half that amount? I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Are you dense? When did I ever say Fran would pay anything. I said Otis needs to go over there and talk to him and his team and use the angle that it is important for Spanish basketball. If the Spanish people cannot see what the finals would have been like to have Gasol and Fran going up against each other they are as dense as you. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I was saying is that if Otis is this master negotiator, then going over to talk to Fran's team after we were just in the finals would be a smart ting to do. Given all the arguments he would have for releasing Fran for the best interest of Fran and Spain, it just seems like the thing you do when your team was just on the biggest global stage. You let that player, that country, that team feel special. Let them know Fran could have been a part of it. There would have been a great sense of National pride being represented like that on each team. If you do not think European countries are not prideful then you do not know a heck of a lot to begin with. They hold a lot of pride for their country and how it is represented world wide. Given how Gasol has been received since winning the championship, I would have to think there could be a ground swell of support to let Fran out of his contract if the Magic showed serious interest at letting him win the starting spot.

Now I am not saying make him a starter, just that is what I would say in the negotiations. Kind of like the Rubio situation. The Knicks already know that if Rubio was on the Knicks his $6 million buy out would be a moot point because they were already told for the right team Rubio would be released from his deal and Fran is nowhere near the global talent that Rubio is.

quote:

Now I am not saying make him a starter, just that is what I would say in the negotiations. Kind of like the Rubio situation. The Knicks already know that if Rubio was on the Knicks his $6 million buy out would be a moot point because they were already told for the right team Rubio would be released from his deal and Fran is nowhere near the global talent that Rubio is.

I could be wrong here but I do not think anyone is releasing Rubio from his deal. He would just be willing to pay it based on the team he plays for. He knows in New York his global marketing oppurtunities are way better than they are playing for a lottery bound Minnesota team so he can make up the money in that regard.

Rubio's buyout was turned over to the IRS from what I understand.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ben, would you care to explain to me how the Magic are going to pay for Fran's massive buyout? I mean, the Magic are only allowed to play for 500k of it....but the hell with it. Otis needs to prove his worth because he clearly hasn't done squat so far this summer.

They can;t it is all on Fran. That is why I said Otis should go over there and point out to his team what Gasol just did and how it would be in their countries best interest to let Fran out of his contract. It happens ll the time. Like Rubio has a HUGE buyout, but it was already said to the right team Rubio will be allowed out of his deal. It is a country pride thing. That is unless they know Fran is too much of a Pu$SY to actually play in the NBA. If so then why bother.

But my point is this is the best year he will probably ever get to crack the rotation. Because after we pick up our starting PF and do the rest of our moves, I do not expect bold moves next summer, which is the summer he is freed of the contract. Which means he will have a lot less chance to crack the rotation next year over this year. Which is how I said Otis should pitch it to him and his team. Play on the emotions of country pride. THey just had their first country man win the NBA title. Imagine what the TV ratings would have been back in Spain had Fran been on the Magic and it was Fran playing D on Gasol and vice versa all series. It almost becomes more important to the grown of Spanish basketball than anything else. At least that is how I would sell it.

And by the way they get to sell their own advertising over there. It was a national even when Pau won the title this year. I would have expected it to be even more so if two Spanish big men were going up against each other in the finals.

So you think Otis can convince Fran to pay 4 million dollars (just a guess, I don't know the actual amount) out of his own pocket so that he can play for the Magic and earn maybe half that amount? I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Are you dense? When did I ever say Fran would pay anything. I said Otis needs to go over there and talk to him and his team and use the angle that it is important for Spanish basketball. If the Spanish people cannot see what the finals would have been like to have Gasol and Fran going up against each other they are as dense as you. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I was saying is that if Otis is this master negotiator, then going over to talk to Fran's team after we were just in the finals would be a smart ting to do. Given all the arguments he would have for releasing Fran for the best interest of Fran and Spain, it just seems like the thing you do when your team was just on the biggest global stage. You let that player, that country, that team feel special. Let them know Fran could have been a part of it. There would have been a great sense of National pride being represented like that on each team. If you do not think European countries are not prideful then you do not know a heck of a lot to begin with. They hold a lot of pride for their country and how it is represented world wide. Given how Gasol has been received since winning the championship, I would have to think there could be a ground swell of support to let Fran out of his contract if the Magic showed serious interest at letting him win the starting spot.

Well that makes sense. After all, why wouldn't a business owner give up a multi-million dollar asset for the sake of "national pride"?

Grant Hill, while plauged with Injuries, hasn't really betrayed us in my opinion. Then again, during the 05/06 season, I only followed Sporadically. It wasn't really until the 07/08 season I really started to pay attention.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well that makes sense. After all, why wouldn't a business owner give up a multi-million dollar asset for the sake of "national pride"?

Yes make a stupid comment and answer how the Knicks or any team then can get Rubio out of his contract that has a larger buyout than Fran's.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Yes make a stupid comment and answer how the Knicks or any team then can get Rubio out of his contract that has a larger buyout than Fran's.

Rubio borrows the money from a bank, pays off his buyout, then uses his shoe deal to pay off the buyout loan.

quote:
Originally posted by TheGreen1:

Grant Hill, while plauged with Injuries, hasn't really betrayed us in my opinion. Then again, during the 05/06 season, I only followed Sporadically. It wasn't really until the 07/08 season I really started to pay attention.

He was always injured...sat out (injured) for most of his contract. Understandably, that part wasn't his fault. My major beef is that, in my mind, he owed us a huge discount given that he was payed handsomely for sitting on the bench. He should have showed some loyalty to an organization that payed him to watch basketball games. I hope he never wins a championship...

quote:

Yep I said it in another thread and after some thought I figured it deserves it own thread.

Fran has 1 year left on his deal and this is the first time since signing Rashard Lewis that we have a big opening for him. If he ever wants to make a name for himself in the NBA and NBA money he needs to come over.

If Otis is going to work the phones for Sheed and Bass, he would prove wise to cross the Atlantic, sit down one on one with Fran and his team and try and work it out. There should be a lot of pressure on Fran now that Gasol won an NBA championship. I would imagine if Otis starts with the angle of he needs to come and represent his country in the way that Gasol did then he would now have a much better chance to get him to finally come over.

Fran would be in the rotation this year. Might even could start by the end of the season and be an important part in the finals. That is what I would tell him at least.

Pal, your full of it.