Sign in to follow this  
NAO

Why did the Magic pull the trigger so fast on Carter trade?...

As a turkish fan I am very bummed about Carter trade. As we all know that means bye bye to Hedo and since I really really like the Magic team, this came shocking to me.

My prediction was that Hedo would settle for 5 years 43 mil. but surprisingly he did not. Now my question is : Carter trade did not involve any draft picks so there was no rush for that trade to happen. Otis said he will let Hedo test the free agency market. but he made his offer and he just moved on. Maybe Hedo would realize after July 1 that Otis is offering him a reasonable contract.

was the trade premeditated? did they plan on getting Carter or another superstar since he is a fan favorite and it means a boost in ticket sales?

As a turkish fan I am very bummed about Carter trade. As we all know that means bye bye to Hedo and since I really really like the Magic team, this came shocking to me.

My prediction was that Hedo would settle for 5 years 43 mil. but surprisingly he did not. Now my question is : Carter trade did not involve any draft picks so there was no rush for that trade to happen. Otis said he will let Hedo test the free agency market. but he made his offer and he just moved on. Maybe Hedo would realize after July 1 that Otis is offering him a reasonable contract.

was the trade premeditated? did they plan on getting Carter or another superstar since he is a fan favorite and it means a boost in ticket sales?

No.

Otis is a businessman and a straight up guy.

He made an offer to Hedo that he thought was fair and reasonable for Hedos worth and Hedo (or his agent) turned it down.

That's why Otis acted "quickly" to get a solid replacement for Hedo since he clearly didn't want what the Magic had to offer.

So they are going to let him (Hedo) try out the free agent market but we'll see if he gets a better deal than he was offered.

Otis doesn't beg guys to stay. He has his plan and a budget from RDV to spread out on different guys.

I'll miss Hedo, love the guy but the NBA is a business. Not a band camp.

It's all on Hedo. When it was reported that Hedo wanted to take care of his family first, that pretty much meant more money. In my eyes he was gone from Orlando when he said that.

Otis didnt want to wait and get burned by Hedo and be left with no leverage. He did what he had to do to secure the team.

I agree that this mess is on Hedo and his agent. if those numbers are correct (we dont know for sure) Otis made a fair offer. But the point is what the magic offered and what Hedo wanted is not far apart. they can easily negotiate after July 1 when Hedo realize it is a good offer. Otis said he will let Hedo test the free agent market. Now bringing Carter in means they dont need Hedo and they cant even offer him 5-6 mil per year.

I did not hear Carter's name in any rumors recently. this trade could easily happen end of July or something. No rush, right?

My conclusion is that they made a choice between Hedo/Lee and Carter. and obviously they picked Carter. I guess it makes a lot of sense business-wise. As I said I cant believe it happened, I am bummed about it.

Even Carter coming here doesn't mean Hedo is necessarily gone. Hedo fits very well into our system, so he plays very well here.

Besides, unless he's going to the Lakers (or the Cavs, if we're being honest), "here" is still his best chance at a ring.

At this point, it just means the Magic aren't going to fork over gobs of cash to keep him. Now he can go out and see if anyone else will.

There's always a chance some team will pull what we did with 'Shard and throw the bank at him, but I don't think so. If he has a look around and there's no incredible deals to be had, he could still come back - no bridges are burned.

quote:
Originally posted by AddiFB:

No.

He made an offer to Hedo that he thought was fair and reasonable for Hedos worth and Hedo (or his agent) turned it down.

That's why Otis acted "quickly" to get a solid replacement for Hedo since he clearly didn't want what the Magic had to offer.

So they are going to let him (Hedo) try out the free agent market but we'll see if he gets a better deal than he was offered.

Otis doesn't beg guys to stay. He has his plan and a budget from RDV to spread out on different guys.

I think you need to be the designated OMM signature creator. Your new one is just sick dude, can you make one with maybe, d12, shard and vin when vin gets his number assigned and isnt covering where it should be with his arms crossed? lol.

quote:

No.

Furthermore with what this guy said...

You don't want for Hedo to test the free agent market and sit passively. That's allowing the player to control the franchise. As we wait for Hedo, all other options are signing with their new teams. All of a sudden mid August comes and Hedo's the only decent free agent left without a contract and has all the leverage...

I like Hedo too! It'll be sad to see him in another uniform. However, I think he was likely to leave either way, so I'm glad we got Vince. People that say Carter is a "has been" are wrong I think. I saw a handful of Nets games last year and he still has a lot left in the tank, you just don't hear about it because he played for the...Nets. I think coming back to his hometown will reinvigorate his career and bring a new focus. This was a great move.

quote:
Originally posted by Walddo:

quote:

No.

I think you need to be the designated OMM signature creator. Your new one is just sick dude, can you make one with maybe, d12, shard and vin when vin gets his number assigned and isnt covering where it should be with his arms crossed? lol.

Actually, I have made a few signatures for others here. They sent me a PM and requested I did a sig for them. They gave me a rough idea of what they wanted and I just did it.

Send me a PM someday and I'll hook you up with a sig.