Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

Denton Say's Dwight will sign extension as a show of loyalty to Brian Hill.....What??

It appears to me that John Denton is attempting to save BHill! Are our local beat writer repaying Hill for access??????

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY

Brian Hill's

future as coach of the Orlando Magic is expected to remain uncertain for at least two weeks and he likely won't find out his fate until he meets with team president Bob Vander Weide and general manager Otis Smith.

Hill is in this position after his Magic struggled through a 40-42 season and were swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the top-seeded Detroit Pistons. Vander Weide put Hill on notice that his future with the franchise is in jeopardy when the two met earlier this week at the team's headquarters.

They have since agreed to meet again in mid-May to discuss Hill's status. He has two years and approximately $6 million remaining on the four-year contract that he signed with the Magic in 2006.

Hill, 59, declined to address any of the points of contention between he and the Magic's management team.

"It's just about me putting things down on paper now that we did well and not so well during the season," Hill said. "We'll talk in two weeks about what we need to improve on for this franchise to go forward."

The Magic started the season 13-4 and briefly led the Eastern Conference. But the flaws in the Magic's youthful roster soon emerged and the team went through a three-month tailspin. And the Magic's inconsistency throughout the season -- at one point they went eight weeks without winning consecutive games -- was particularly maddening.

Orlando needed a strong closing kick to avoid becoming the first team in NBA history to miss the playoffs after winning 13 of its first 17 games.

On the day after the season ended, Smith said this of Hill: "I don't anticipate (Hill's job security) being an issue. I see him coming back."

But clearly that thought has changed.

"We're in the process of evaluating everything -- personnel, coaches and the way we do things," Smith said Thursday.

Unlike in 1997 when Hill was fired by the Magic following a player revolt, the rift this time appears to be between management and Hill's willingness to be flexible in his coaching. Smith openly pushed for rookie shooting guard J.J. Redick and 21-year-old small forward Trevor Ariza to play more in the playoffs with little success.

And Vander Weide was particularly upset with how the team struggled over the final month of the regular season and in the postseason against Detroit. Like in the regular season, Orlando's problems with turnovers and missed free throws were problems against the Pistons.

"We were expecting to be here (in the playoffs), just not in the eighth seed," Vander Weide said before the playoffs. "There was some big holes in the season that didn't feel very good. You don't get to the next place without taking the steps. We've just got to keep improving."

Dwight Howard's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said Thursday that the 21-year-old center had no problems with Hill other than wanting the ball more. Howard is expected to show his loyalty to Hill by signing a five-year, $80 million contract extension with the Magic in July.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears to me that John Denton is attempting to save BHill! Are our local beat writer repaying Hill for access??????

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY

Brian Hill's

future as coach of the Orlando Magic is expected to remain uncertain for at least two weeks and he likely won't find out his fate until he meets with team president Bob Vander Weide and general manager Otis Smith.

Hill is in this position after his Magic struggled through a 40-42 season and were swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the top-seeded Detroit Pistons. Vander Weide put Hill on notice that his future with the franchise is in jeopardy when the two met earlier this week at the team's headquarters.

They have since agreed to meet again in mid-May to discuss Hill's status. He has two years and approximately $6 million remaining on the four-year contract that he signed with the Magic in 2006.

Hill, 59, declined to address any of the points of contention between he and the Magic's management team.

"It's just about me putting things down on paper now that we did well and not so well during the season," Hill said. "We'll talk in two weeks about what we need to improve on for this franchise to go forward."

The Magic started the season 13-4 and briefly led the Eastern Conference. But the flaws in the Magic's youthful roster soon emerged and the team went through a three-month tailspin. And the Magic's inconsistency throughout the season -- at one point they went eight weeks without winning consecutive games -- was particularly maddening.

Orlando needed a strong closing kick to avoid becoming the first team in NBA history to miss the playoffs after winning 13 of its first 17 games.

On the day after the season ended, Smith said this of Hill: "I don't anticipate (Hill's job security) being an issue. I see him coming back."

But clearly that thought has changed.

"We're in the process of evaluating everything -- personnel, coaches and the way we do things," Smith said Thursday.

Unlike in 1997 when Hill was fired by the Magic following a player revolt, the rift this time appears to be between management and Hill's willingness to be flexible in his coaching. Smith openly pushed for rookie shooting guard J.J. Redick and 21-year-old small forward Trevor Ariza to play more in the playoffs with little success.

And Vander Weide was particularly upset with how the team struggled over the final month of the regular season and in the postseason against Detroit. Like in the regular season, Orlando's problems with turnovers and missed free throws were problems against the Pistons.

"We were expecting to be here (in the playoffs), just not in the eighth seed," Vander Weide said before the playoffs. "There was some big holes in the season that didn't feel very good. You don't get to the next place without taking the steps. We've just got to keep improving."

Dwight Howard's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said Thursday that the 21-year-old center had no problems with Hill other than wanting the ball more. Howard is expected to show his loyalty to Hill by signing a five-year, $80 million contract extension with the Magic in July.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's mad. Dwight himself didn't say he was gonna sign the contract because he likes Hill right?

He's just too nice to openly bash the guy, but you can clearly see how frustrated he is.

Denton just repeated what Dwight said 2 or 3 days ago. I read that this morning too but didn't post it cause it's old news.

Chosen, I wouldn't put to much into this. I think the writing is pretty much on the wall.

He's done.

Just a matter of time.

The way I remember reading it was, Dwight had no problem with Hill (expected statement) and his agent announced that he would sign the max extension, because that was in the best interest of Dwight and his family.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

The way I remember reading it was, Dwight had no problem with Hill (expected statement) and his agent announced that he would sign the max extension, because that was in the best interest of Dwight and his family.

Junkie I would agree that this is probably much added spin, I am just suprised that Denton would weigh in like that.

quote:

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY

Howard is expected to show his loyalty to Hill by signing a five-year, $80 million contract extension with the Magic in July.

WOW! Bianchi supports Hill and goes after management. Schmitz appears to support Hill and now Denton with this comment. Guys, don't let up. Bob Vander Weide we support your effort to make a coaching change. Don't let the smoke get in your eyes and be careful walking through the grass-there are snakes!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Chosen, I wouldn't put to much into this. I think the writing is pretty much on the wall.

He's done.

Just a matter of time.

Junkie & Solution, I do feel the same way, I just find it tough to swollow Bianchi anyway, but now Denton? I did have some respect for this guy as a striaght shooter, but now I am starting to hear anything but an honest report from Denton, I thought he was one of the few honest guys left.

realgm is reporting:

QUOTE:

Chris Broussard just reported on ESPN that there is a growing rift between Dwight Howard and Brian Hill. Howard feels that Hill can't take them to the place he wants the team to go, but there is not much information on this. He noted that the last time the Magic fired a head coach it was because of player pressure with Penny Hardaway forcing the organization's hand. He went on to say that the organization does not want to make another move that makes it look like their organizational actions are driven by the players.

QUOTE:

They said that his relationship with D12 is too strained. And that the team is mad that he did not play jj and that he would not make adjustments. They said that the Magic are taking their time and are down playing it because they don't want it to look like they are just giving into their superstar's wishes.

QUOTE:

yup just heard it, he also pointed "bones of conententoin" were were hill's style of player/lack of adjustments, not playing jj, and dwight howard's relationship with him. He said d12 gets frustrated with hill's "micromanagement", can anyone clarify that further on exactly what that means in bball terms? Anyway, he said hill probably will not be back, and the magic are trying to make this as less complicated as possible. big news to say the least

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

realgm is reporting:

QUOTE:

Chris Broussard just reported on ESPN that there is a growing rift between Dwight Howard and Brian Hill. Howard feels that Hill can't take them to the place he wants the team to go, but there is not much information on this. He noted that the last time the Magic fired a head coach it was because of player pressure with Penny Hardaway forcing the organization's hand. He went on to say that the organization does not want to make another move that makes it look like their organizational actions are driven by the players.

QUOTE:

They said that his relationship with D12 is too strained. And that the team is mad that he did not play jj and that he would not make adjustments. They said that the Magic are taking their time and are down playing it because they don't want it to look like they are just giving into their superstar's wishes.

QUOTE:

yup just heard it, he also pointed "bones of conententoin" were were hill's style of player/lack of adjustments, not playing jj, and dwight howard's relationship with him. He said d12 gets frustrated with hill's "micromanagement", can anyone clarify that further on exactly what that means in bball terms? Anyway, he said hill probably will not be back, and the magic are trying to make this as less complicated as possible. big news to say the least

Solution, did realgm report this as a ESPN T.V. report (sportcenter) or is it on the website, I am looking and not seeing it????

By the way, which would you suggest to be true, Broussard or Denton???

everything i have read and heard in press conferences is that d12 supports this coaching staff. people are just speculating because they want d12 to be the next penny. i think d12 is a better person than that

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

Since the cat is out of the bag now, I will share what I had heard. I found out last week before Game 3 that the team had already made the decision to remove Brian as coach. I did not post it in the open forum to protect the source and respect the teams wishes to keep things focused on the playoffs. I did share it privately with a few board members here.

Dwight's agent is going to say all the right things, as are the beat writers (they want access to information in the future). But the rumors about the rift between the players (including Dwight) are very true.

Even with Otis and the players frustrated with Brian his job was safe due to his close relationship with Bob Vanderweide. Apparently the final straw the finally convinced Bob a change was needed was JJ Redick. Both Bob and Otis have been after Brian to play JJ and Brian has pretty much ignored those requests. He finally gave in and played JJ some, the Keyon/JJ backcourt had some good games. But Brian again benched him down the stretch and in the playoffs.

It is no secret JJ is incredibly popular with the fans and second in jersey sales only behind Dwight. But Brian did not support drafting him and resisted playing him even when teams were zoning us to death and we had no shooters on the floor. At a time when the team needs all the fan support they need for the Arena battle. Playing JJ made sense on the floor and off it in appeasing their fan base.

Dwight/Darko and others have let their true feelings known to the team, but it is the JJ issue that finally got Bob to pull his support of Brian.