Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Would Anyone Take Vince Carter?

Just curious if we would trade for him since he will have only 2 years left on his deal. We have enough in expiring contracts. He still shoots for a high percentage and could be a great veteran pick up that Courtney Lee can learn from and go against in practice.

I know it is reported the team would go after a power forward, but why not trade our expiring contracts for Carter and a Power Forward. We could swing a deal for:

Carter & Sean Williams for Battie, AJ, Alston & JJ.

That would free up the much needed cap space the Nets want and would give us a guy that can get his own shot off and probably even more important a guy Courtney Lee can go up against everyday in practice that may just be able to help Courtney take it to the next level.

We all know Vince wants to end his career here. Why not roll the dice and go after him. Leave the starting 5 the same except let Carter play SG with Lee as his primary backup. Have MP be the primary back up for the SF and hopefully resign Gortat as the primary back up with Sean Williams at the C/PF.

Just curious if we would trade for him since he will have only 2 years left on his deal. We have enough in expiring contracts. He still shoots for a high percentage and could be a great veteran pick up that Courtney Lee can learn from and go against in practice.

I know it is reported the team would go after a power forward, but why not trade our expiring contracts for Carter and a Power Forward. We could swing a deal for:

Carter & Sean Williams for Battie, AJ, Alston & JJ.

That would free up the much needed cap space the Nets want and would give us a guy that can get his own shot off and probably even more important a guy Courtney Lee can go up against everyday in practice that may just be able to help Courtney take it to the next level.

We all know Vince wants to end his career here. Why not roll the dice and go after him. Leave the starting 5 the same except let Carter play SG with Lee as his primary backup. Have MP be the primary back up for the SF and hopefully resign Gortat as the primary back up with Sean Williams at the C/PF.

Just my opinion but Carter is just 32 and has not dropped in production at all. He has pretty much been a 20/5/5 guy from the SG position his entire career. When you have a guy like him that can get his own shot like a Kobe/LeBron I would think it is worth the chance to take. Not to mention he only has 2 more years the team would be on the hook for since the last year of his contract is a team option.

So...

Jameer/??Hedo

Vince/Lee

Hedo/Mickael

Shard/Williams/??Marcin(if kept)

Dwight/??Marcin(if kept)

We'd need a backup for Jameer... and if we lose Marcin, we'd need a backup for Dwight.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

theres no way we can resign hedo and trade for carter and field a deep roster.

OK I would like to explore your opinion.

Assume we resign Hedo and trade for Carter. It would be a wash in salaries since the we would trade 4 guys for 2 with Jersey and add $2 million in salaries. Hedo's number is whatever it is going to be. So you now have 2 roster spots to fill. But lets look at the roster.

PG - Nelson, (Hedo), (Lue)

SG - Carter, Lee

SF - Hedo, MP, Richardson

PF - Lewis, Williams

C - Howard, Gortat, Foyle

Obviously this is 12 guys and we only have 14 on the roster now. The only hole I would see you might fill is another point guard. But if you have Lue as your 3rd point guard and Hedo as your second, whoever you sign as another point guard would not be at much cost.

So assume this.

Hedo Gets $10 million

Gortat gets $5 million

Carter trade adds $2 million

The rest are vet deals that are subsidized by the NBA and do not count against the tax number.

That would put the Magic at roughly $80 million for next season. ($9 million over the cap). How serious is ownership about going over and how much over? If they are serious they can still spend their MLE on Rasheed and be $15 million over the cap.

That ship has sailed.

He's obviously in it for the cha-ching, not a championship. Or he NEVER would of resigned with the Nets.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

Carter is just 32

I basketball, no one is just 32.

I see him decaying rapidly. But I may be wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

theres no way we can resign hedo and trade for carter and field a deep roster.

OK I would like to explore your opinion.

Assume we resign Hedo and trade for Carter. It would be a wash in salaries since the we would trade 4 guys for 2 with Jersey and add $2 million in salaries. Hedo's number is whatever it is going to be. So you now have 2 roster spots to fill. But lets look at the roster.

PG - Nelson, (Hedo), (Lue)

SG - Carter, Lee

SF - Hedo, MP, Richardson

PF - Lewis, Williams

C - Howard, Gortat, Foyle

Obviously this is 12 guys and we only have 14 on the roster now. The only hole I would see you might fill is another point guard. But if you have Lue as your 3rd point guard and Hedo as your second, whoever you sign as another point guard would not be at much cost.

So assume this.

Hedo Gets $10 million

Gortat gets $5 million

Carter trade adds $2 million

The rest are vet deals that are subsidized by the NBA and do not count against the tax number.

That would put the Magic at roughly $80 million for next season. ($9 million over the cap). How serious is ownership about going over and how much over? If they are serious they can still spend their MLE on Rasheed and be $15 million over the cap.

but we also have players increasing their salaries and a cap that is going to be stagnant next year.

dwight makes 15,000,000 next season

shard makes 18,000,000

nelson makes 7,700,000

hedo makes 10,000,000

pietrus makes 5,300,000

lee makes 1,300,000

carter makes 16,100,000

that puts us at 72,400,000 about 2mil over the tax for 7 players.

we resign lue and that leaves us with 1 backup pointguard and puts us in the same situation as we had this season if nelson gets injured.

Lewis needs 15 shots a game, turk needs 15 shots a game, Carter needs 15 shots a game. thats 45 out of our average 78 attempts per game. Dwights touches will suffer and he'll get pissed off.

Wouldnt it be more efficient to stock our team with a few mid-level guys instead who can compliment our core instead of adding another high profile player and screwing with what we already have established?

Yeah I mean, Lewis is right. There's only one ball after all.

Back two summers ago, we needed to make a choice. Rashard Lewis or Vince Carter. It was one or the other, not both.

Thanks to Rashard improving his D far better than it EVER was in Seattle, I think the Magic made the right choice. Going in I wasn't sure, but after what Rashard's brought to the table, especially in most of these playoffs, he fits what SVG wants to do better. Plus I'm not entirely sure VC and Hedo would co-exist effectively at all. Both guys need to dominate the ball at various times to be effective, Rashard doesn't.