Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will the Magic keep Milicic? He made some interesting parting comments(John Denton)

quote:

"I would like to stay here and they would like for me to stay," he said. "It's time to see if they really want me here.

"If I stay, we'll have Dwight and we'll play through him. If I go somewhere else, maybe it would be different for me. I'd like to play with Dwight because everyone wants to play with a great player. But everyone wants to be the guy that the team plays through. I want to be the guy who the team depends on."

Sounds to me like Darko "might" want to move on so he can be "the man" on another team. As long as he's here he will always be second fiddle to Dwight.

I don't know about you guys but I was extremely impressed with Darko's play against the Pistons. He probably could be the man for other teams. The guys still only 21 years old with awesome skills for a big guy. Playing on another team where he is the sole big man threat means better stats and more money.

Stay tuned as a very interesting summer unfolds for the Magic. Just my opinion.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04300333/1002/SPORTS

quote:

"I would like to stay here and they would like for me to stay," he said. "It's time to see if they really want me here.

"If I stay, we'll have Dwight and we'll play through him. If I go somewhere else, maybe it would be different for me. I'd like to play with Dwight because everyone wants to play with a great player. But everyone wants to be the guy that the team plays through. I want to be the guy who the team depends on."

Sounds to me like Darko "might" want to move on so he can be "the man" on another team. As long as he's here he will always be second fiddle to Dwight.

I don't know about you guys but I was extremely impressed with Darko's play against the Pistons. He probably could be the man for other teams. The guys still only 21 years old with awesome skills for a big guy. Playing on another team where he is the sole big man threat means better stats and more money.

Stay tuned as a very interesting summer unfolds for the Magic. Just my opinion.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04300333/1002/SPORTS

I believe we'll keep him, if Darko is wise enough, he can even become the number one option. Dwight's offense needs a lot of work, while Darko already has a temendous post game. I think the high-low play will be perfect for them, mainly because Darko will get the ball first, on the perimeter, and as he said, he is more comfortable there.

As far as his quote is concerned, I'm not that surprised at all, I think Milicic's skills has been used wrongly.

That certainly makes me worried because it seems he wants to be the focal point. I hope he understands that it isn't exactly about being "the man", it's about getting wins and eventually, the championship. It's about teamwork, you can't have five superstars playing in a team and expect to win big all the time.

I'm kinda torn really, I want him to stay but if he'll be happier being a go to guy on some other team then that's really an option too. I'm just so excited thinking of what a monster he can be. If and when that day comes, I'd rather have him on our side.

Good luck on whatever happens this summer.

I am sure Darko's agent fed him what to say before leaving town. Just the beginning of the negotiation process.

Just like Otis said Darko is priority number one this off-season. Otis will be saying all the right things in the media to scare off anyone willing to make a run at Darko.

quote:
Just like Otis said Darko is priority number one this off-season. Otis will be saying all the right things in the media to scare off anyone willing to make a run at Darko.

Such as saying the same comments he said with re-signing Ariza about matching all offers. ;-)

For me, I think Darko would be dreaming to be a team's number 1 option. If you look at the team around the league, almost all 30 teams already have their man.

I agree with Fendi's first post. If Darko resigns and gets to play significant minutes, he might just play himself into becoming the focal point of the offense. Does anyone think we would be running our offense through Dwight if we had Dirk Nowitsky on the floor with him?

Btw, I recognize that Darko is no Dirk Nowitsky now, but Dirk didn't come out of the womb playing that well either.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:

Such as saying the same comments he said with re-signing Ariza about matching all offers. ;-)

For me, I think Darko would be dreaming to be a team's number 1 option. If you look at the team around the league, almost all 30 teams already have their man.

That's true to an extent, but most teams don't have their one big who is the man. A lot of teams would love to have Darko to form an inside/outside threat. Darko's proved this year that he has a very solid post game to compliment his already impressive 20 foot shot and passing abilities. Oh, and he plays defense. It's for that reason that teams like Atlanta would want to make a run at Darko.

All that being said, we need to keep him here, and next season he should start, and we should make sure that, barring foul trouble, there is never an instance where he and Dwight are both off the floor.

quote:

.....I think the high-low play will be perfect for them, mainly because Darko will get the ball first, on the perimeter, and as he said, he is more comfortable there.....

As far as his quote is concerned, I'm not that surprised at all, I think Milicic's skills has been used wrongly.

Agree with you about Darko being misused and his skills not taken advantage of. Question is, since B. Hill is the one responsible for that, if Hill is still coach next year, why wouldn't Darko expect to be used in the same (wrong) way again? Why should he expect the same coach to play him differently next year? He didn't let him play on the perimeter this year......

quote:
Agree with you about Darko being misused and his skills not taken advantage of. Question is, since B. Hill is the one responsible for that, if Hill is still coach next year, why wouldn't Darko expect to be used in the same (wrong) way again? Why should he expect the same coach to play him differently next year? He didn't let him play on the perimeter this year......

well, if he is able to prove himself that he could become more effective as a perimeter guy, I don't think there will be any wrong by playing him in the perimeter. If you look at his game right now, most of the time, he is more effective in the post. I'm not sure why he wants to play in the perimeter, he has a very solid low post game, and his hook shot goes well with his wingspan.

quote:

well, if he is able to prove himself that he could become more effective as a perimeter guy, I don't think there will be any wrong by playing him in the perimeter. If you look at his game right now, most of the time, he is more effective in the post. I'm not sure why he wants to play in the perimeter, he has a very solid low post game, and his hook shot goes well with his wingspan.

He was forced to play in the post. No one denies it, Darko has basically said as much by saying that he wants to play somewhere that he has the opportunity to use his main talents (passing and shooting, not just banging). When he took an outside shot, he was yelled at, and/or taken out. By the end of the season he was hesistant to take even wide open outside shots, and had clearly lost confidence in his outside game. Sadly, that was always one of his strong points, and it's regressed badly under this coach.

If I were Darko, I'd expect more of the same unless Hill is gone.......