Sign in to follow this  
Nike

Rd 2 Game 4: Playoffs Game Thread Magic vs. Celtics 5/10 8:00 PM

Stan made them cry probably :-)

quote:
Originally posted by 7th Seal:

Where the hell is our guys for the post game press conference?

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

That shot was out of Davis' comfort zone. Everybody arguing otherwise is wrong

If by comfort zone you mean receiving a pass and trying to put up a game winning shot with the shot clock rapidly expiring, I completely agree.

Pierce & Davis run a pick-n-roll in that situation, priority #1 is forcing Pierce to take a tough shot, or give up the ball. Give the Magic credit for forcing Boston to go to their 3rd option on the play up against the clock, give Pierce credit for doing what Hedo refuses to do in that spot, & give Davis credit for hitting a big shot. End of story.

But, somewhere before the end of that story is some harsh realities.

1) Orlando didn't play with anywhere near the intensity they did in game #3 until the final 8 minutes. Orlando played this game like a regular season game.

2) Orlando played at Boston's pace and didn't force an up tempto as they did in game #3.

3) Orlando had a lot of guys playing tight in a freeroll game. That's really inexcusable & imo it's a direct result of not having defined roles or a defined rotation. At this point in the season SVG should have guys he's trust & be prepared to live & die with them. I don't wanna beat SVG up too hard, but watching him experiment with lineups continually throughout a 2nd round playoff game is frustrating.

4) Bad shot selection that is excused by SVG during the regular season has a funny way of rearing it's ugly head in the playoffs.

So if game was called correctly, we possibly win 96-89. And what happened to all that talk about in the playoffs you don't get them normal foul calls you would get in the regular season, seems to me every time a team comes down the court there's a foul. Can we play the game and only call fouls on hard fouls? Both ways.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

That shot was out of Davis' comfort zone. Everybody arguing otherwise is wrong

If by comfort zone you mean receiving a pass and trying to put up a game winning shot with the shot clock rapidly expiring, I completely agree.

Pierce & Davis run a pick-n-roll in that situation, priority #1 is forcing Pierce to take a tough shot, or give up the ball. Give the Magic credit for forcing Boston to go to their 3rd option on the play up against the clock, give Pierce credit for doing what Hedo refuses to do in that spot, & give Davis credit for hitting a big shot. End of story.

But, somewhere before the end of that story is some harsh realities.

1) Orlando didn't play with anywhere near the intensity they did in game #3 until the final 8 minutes. Orlando played this game like a regular season game.

2) Orlando played at Boston's pace and didn't force an up tempto as they did in game #3.

3) Orlando had a lot of guys playing tight in a freeroll game. That's really inexcusable & imo it's a direct result of not having defined roles or a defined rotation. At this point in the season SVG should have guys he's trust & be prepared to live & die with them. I don't wanna beat SVG up too hard, but watching him experiment with lineups continually throughout a 2nd round playoff game is frustrating.

4) Bad shot selection that is excused by SVG during the regular season has a funny way of rearing it's ugly head in the playoffs.

Dude #3 and #4 I agree completely. This team has no go to scorer in the 4th, no money plays, just a bunch of guys camping out behind the 3 point line and hopefully a couple of guys get hot. The shot selection is a joke and this team has so much talent so they get away with it but not in the playoffs. SVG sits at every press conference and says we got open looks but they didn't go in blah,blah,blah. No way those shots are open because good defensive teams give you those shots because they are not high %.

They did miss some calls that would have led to easy points for the Magic but it still does not excuse the Magic from losing. Good teams at home overcome the bad hand they are dealt from the refs.

The Magic held the Celtics without a field goal for what 7 minutes until Glen Davis hit that shot. There are better things to do with the ball in that time frame that jacking up 3's but heck I expect it out of Hedo by now. Also that call that Shard got could have went ignored. There have been worse no calls before.

Celts fan here. This is how I see it so far:

- if you guys are going to blame the refs for losing this game, then I guess you always will. Pierce had 2 or 3 bad calls on him when he was smoking hot, or this game would have been over early. The Magic had every opportunity to win, and the refs did not determine the outcome, period.

- As a Celtics fan, I'm happy to see Turk with the ball playing point forward. I don't know why the Magic give him the ball that much - he's good but not who I'd want directing the offense in the last 4 minutes of a close playoff game.

- Glen Davis is a player. It took us until about a month ago to realize that, but he is a unique talent and a game changer. The last shot was a good one, but he was fairly open and he's been making that one with regularity. I was more impressed with the next to last one with 12 seconds left, which I've never seem him make - a contested fallway with the clock running out. He's also a defensive & rebounding force. The guy has just come out of nowhere and has been a lifesaver with Garnett and Powe out.

- The Magic have a lot of talent and this series is far from over. I could see the road team winning games 5 and 6, for instance. These next games are going to be great ones.

quote:
Originally posted by celtsfan:

- Glen Davis is a player. It took us until about a month ago to realize that, but he is a unique talent and a game changer. The last shot was a good one, but he was fairly open and he's been making that one with regularity. I was more impressed with the next to last one with 12 seconds left, which I've never seem him make - a contested fallway with the clock running out. He's also a defensive & rebounding force. The guy has just come out of nowhere and has been a lifesaver with Garnett and Powe out.

I agree with this and I do not know if it is the KG effect or TT or Clifford Ray but the Celtics get the absolute max out of their big men with KG, Perkins, Powe, Davis and heck even Scalabrine tries hard bless his little red-headed heart. These guys come to play every night no matter the game.

quote:
Originally posted by bigtripp71:

BBD.gif

Classy

He deliberately pushed a fan...

Isn't that an automatic suspension? If that was Ron Artest they would ban him from the league.