Sign in to follow this  
Do Work Stan .... BOOYAAKASHAA

FINALLY...NO SMILES!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by Lawyers,Guns.and Money:

Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm, I guess. I just hope he continues to prove you wrong. If you're a Magic fan, you should hope so too. We all want the same end result, right?

Yeah, don't mistake disagreement for hostility. I know we're all fans of the same team here (most of us, anyway) and we all want the same thing. We just disagree on whether smiling and joking during a game matters.

And that ain't no big thing. Peace brother.

Question for all those who want Dwight to be mean and snarl all game. Don't you think, since it's not really in his personality to be that way, it would be a waste of his energy and focus to play act at being a tough guy? I'd much rather have a guy play with his normal personality and spend time trying to look tough.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

I don't understand how we won last night while smiling and joking? So confused...

One guy who wasn't smiling was Rafer when the Bucks got within 20. As a person posted on the Magic/Bucks thread, he was downright pissed and turned up the fire. Sure didn't look like an entertainer to me. Looked like a real player.

yeah, he scowled his way to 7 pts and 4 asts on 2-6 shooting while dwight smiled his way toward a chance at a triple double. lol

don't get me wrong, i like rafer, but let's not act like he's accomplished a great deal in his career while taking everything so serious...as he apparently does.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

I don't understand how we won last night while smiling and joking? So confused...

One guy who wasn't smiling was Rafer when the Bucks got within 20. As a person posted on the Magic/Bucks thread, he was downright pissed and turned up the fire. Sure didn't look like an entertainer to me. Looked like a real player.

yeah, he scowled his way to 7 pts and 4 asts on 2-6 shooting while dwight smiled his way toward a chance at a triple double. lol

don't get me wrong, i like rafer, but let's not act like he's accomplished a great deal in his career while taking everything so serious...as he apparently does.

I personally have no problem with Dwight smiling and cutting up when the team is up by 20 some points. It's when their down by 10 points in the 2nd half and the camera pans the bench, only to find Dwight acting like he's at a birthday party.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I have to admit I find the entire concept that the team shouldn't enjoy playing basketball to be utterly fascinating.

It's serious business. Jordan and Bird were pissed off their entire careers, that's what made them great. It had very little to do with talent.

OK. It's confession time. I'm originally from Chicago. I had season tickets for the Bulls from 1989 until 1998. Maybe I got a little spoiled because of their success. I'm not claiming that they were the premier team in the NBA because MJ took the game more serious than Dwight does, because as it has been pointed out, he had skills that have never been seen from a Magic player, or possibly any player in the NBA. The fact of the matter is that during those years, the Bulls had fun, winning is always fun, but when the game started, they got serious because the best player on the team (ala Dwight Howard) made sure of it. If MJ would've seen a player on the bench laughing when they were getting beat in the 2nd half, he would've slapped the sucker up side the head. Like I said, I guess I got spoiled. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe the game has changed since then. I guess we'll find out when the season is over.

I agree that the game should be fun, but there's nothing fun about losing. And as much as I dislike CHAMPIONSHIP teams like the Celtics and Pistons, they would not be on the bench laughing in the midst of getting thier a** kicked. We don't need anyone to get angry...we just need more focus and discipline especially our key players.

What it comes down to is this:

The team is 50-18. There have been far more blowout wins than blowout losses. Sure, there have been some tough losses against good teams and Detroit, but there have also been quite a few quality wins against good teams.

If this team really had such a problem with focus, and if it really were imperative for them to never smile or laugh during a game, would they be in the position they are today?

I already know what the response is going to be to this: It's the regular season, and regular season success doesn't automatically translate into postseason success. But if that's the case, then I would ask why overreaction to regular season losses is warranted. If quality wins against good teams have diminished importance simply because they occur during the regular season, why wouldn't the same treatment be given to a few guys having fun during a regular season loss?

If every player on the team all of the sudden adopted Garnett intensity at all times, would that make regular season games more meaningful? Would that automatically make the Magic more likely to succeed in the playoffs?

And let's not forget that for all Garnett's intensity and focus, it still took a dream situation with two other all-stars for him to win a ring.

If you guys really want to convince me of the importance of being serious at all times while playing basketball, you need to show me a situation where a team who had no business winning a championship won because they never joked around. Correlation does not equal causation.

Addendum: Now that I think about it, Garnett is the key to this whole discussion. Why didn't he ever get to the finals with Minnesota? We all know how talented and intense he is and what he demands from his teammates. But even after all that he wasn't able to win a ring there because he never had the right talent around him. His focus and intensity alone was not enough to put Minnesota over the top.

Are you smiling? Are YOU smiling? There's no smiling. There's no smiling in basketball. Did you ever see me cry? NO! NO! Do you know why? Because there's no smiling in basketball. THERE'S NO SMILING IN BASKETBALL. NO SMILING!

/tom hanks from league of their own