Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Indy Unsure About Daniels' Option Next Year

quote:
The team will have to decide before June 30 whether Daniels is worth the $7.4 million he'll make next season if the Pacers pick up his option. The Pacers could let him become an unrestricted free agent and try to sign him to a long-term deal at a lower annual salary.

"I'm not even concerned about it right now," team president Larry Bird said. "When the season is over, we have a lot of things we have to look at and see where we stand. There's the draft, too. But now we're just trying to get in the playoffs.

"He's playing well and we'll take a look at it at the end of the season."

Both parties are in an awkward position. Daniels plays on the wing, where the Pacers have the most depth, and the salary cap will be lower next season. Rookie Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack and Danny Granger play the same position. There's also the uncertainty of when Mike Dunleavy will return from knee surgery and how effective he'll be.

http://www.indystar.com/articl...130354/1088/SPORTS04

I think Otis should paid close attention to this situation this summer.

quote:
The team will have to decide before June 30 whether Daniels is worth the $7.4 million he'll make next season if the Pacers pick up his option. The Pacers could let him become an unrestricted free agent and try to sign him to a long-term deal at a lower annual salary.

"I'm not even concerned about it right now," team president Larry Bird said. "When the season is over, we have a lot of things we have to look at and see where we stand. There's the draft, too. But now we're just trying to get in the playoffs.

"He's playing well and we'll take a look at it at the end of the season."

Both parties are in an awkward position. Daniels plays on the wing, where the Pacers have the most depth, and the salary cap will be lower next season. Rookie Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack and Danny Granger play the same position. There's also the uncertainty of when Mike Dunleavy will return from knee surgery and how effective he'll be.

http://www.indystar.com/articl...130354/1088/SPORTS04

I think Otis should paid close attention to this situation this summer.

there is probably no use for him here anymore, if we have a good offseason retainin hedo and marcin we could probably just be looking at drafting the best possible big man at that selection, it would actually be worth it to trade battie for a good first rounder, considering some team out there would want his contract... but that's another thread.

Shooting guard was last summer.

A PF in the short term and a PG for the long term (to replace Lue, A.J., and maybe even Alston eventually) are bigger concerns.

yeah i dont see much use for Daniels but i think based on how we do in the playoffs is based on if we really need turk or not i say if we get bounced in the second round we dont re sign him because that is a sign its not working but if we go to a game 7 that might be different

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

I can't imagine a universe in which we want a SG shooting 20% from three.

Grant Hill can

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Zero chance Bird doesn't use the option and zero chance Otis even thinks about signing him.

Exactly, Not even a consideration by Otis! I think this off season will be used to package expirings for the one big banger to make a difference and add a touch of attitude to this team. IMHO