Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Game Thread: Magic @ Bulls 2/24/2009 8PM

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Stock Up:

Hedo Turkoglu. (Hedo had 16 points on 6 of 14 shots, 2 of 4 from Three, 2 of 4 from the free throw line. 4 boards, 2 assists, and a steal. Why is Hedo the Highest Riser? NO turnovers. That's pretty major for the usually turnover prone Hedo Turkoglu.)

Courtney Lee. (It was a yeoman's effort from C-Lee tonight as it seemed was the only guy who tried to play tough in-your-face defense tonight. 14 points on 6 of 9 shooting, 0 for 1 from downtown, 2 for 2 from the charity stripe. 1 board, 2 assists against 2 turnovers, and a block. But again, this SU is due to Lee's actual effort, unlike most of his teammates, on the defensive end.)

Marcin Gortat. (He actually played pretty well on both ends and was a presense defensively. What a concept. 2 points on 1 of 2 shooting, 5 boards, and a turnover.)

Stock In The Middle:

Tonight this section could be "Stock In The, Skywise Doesn't Care About Figuring Out If You're Up Or Down." I mean I just don't, I could really give a ****.

Anthony Johnson. (10 points on 4 of 9 shooting and 2 of 4 from deep. 3 boards, 2 assists, and 2 turnovers. Okay, he scored in double figures. Let's throw a parade. Meanwhile he couldn't guard a WNBA point guard, so big deal.)

J.J. Redick. (10 points on 4 of 7 shooting and 2 of 5 from Three Land, 2 boards and 1 assist. Again, I mean I don't really care. He wasn't getting blown by on defense, but he wasn't making anyone uncomfortable either, whether it was Salmons, Gordon, whoever.)

Stock Down:

Opponent's Field Goal Shooting. (The Orlando Magic let the Chicago Bulls shoot 56.5 percent on them. I mean, that's the ball game. The magic let the Bulls have too many open shots in the first half, especially the 2nd quarter, and then when the Bulls got confidence, it was too late when Orlando finally started defending in the second half. At that point the Bulls just weren't gonna miss. It was like the beginning of the year in Toronto all over again. But on a night like this, Stock Plummet had to be something team-related instead of singling out a player.)

NBA Referees. (........ I've got nothing else to say on them, other than they should remember it's almost the end of the month, time to pay their bookies.)

Rashard Lewis. (I guess he's not out of the woods yet. 10 points on only 3 of 12 shooting (including an embarrassing missed dunk), 3 of 9 from downtown, and he hit his only free throw. He at least had 5 boards and 5 assists as well as a steal. He also had 2 turnovers, and like 90 percent of the team, tissue paper soft defense.)

Rafer Alston. (The first game where he had some turnovers AND poor shooting at the same time. Doesn't look so good when he's doing them both. Add that with letting Derrick Rose score on him endlessly, and that gives you third place on the Stock Down list. 10 points on only 4 of 12 shooting, 0 for 3 from deep, and 2 for 3 from the free throw line. 3 boards, 5 assists against 4 turnovers, 2 steals, and a block.)

Dwight Howard. (Yeah, he had 26 points and 12 boards. 2 steals, an assist, he shot over 50% from the floor and 6 of 8 from the line. Even 3 turnovers is a reasonable amount. But no blocks is only the beginning... Dwight brought absolutely zero defensive intensity tonight, and it probably rubbed off on the rest of the team.)

Team Assists. (From 22 down to 18 tonight. Meanwhile, we let Chicago have 25.)

Team Rebounding. (Orlando got outboarded and outhustled 44-38.)

Tony Battie. (Other than scoring on a wide open dunk, Battie didn't really bring it at all. So many times I saw him stand idly by while his man grabbed a rebound on either end of the floor, or while another Bull player drove right by him to the rim. Another invisbility act by Battie in his 10 plus minutes.. and whenever he was visible, it wasn't all that good.

4 points on 2 of 4 shooting, one measly rebound, a block, and a turnover. Whoopty freggin' doo. 5 million a season, huh? I think we may of found our new Garrity.)

Stan Van Gundy. (You really need to rethink your rotations and substituation patterns sometime. The Magic run it to get back to 7 points down in the 3rd quarter, they're rolling, and you pull Alston early?? Why, exactly?

Also, how sound of a strategy was it to make sure a jump shooting team shot.. jump shots? I'm just sayin'.)

That's all. Your Orlando Magic drop to 41-15 in astoundingly pathetic fashion. They drop a half game from Boston and another full game from Cleveland. Next comes KryptoNate and the Knicks in New York tomorrow night, but don't worry, they should have plenty of energy since they didn't use any up tonight.

I'm outta here.

Good night and good luck.

Sky, I think your observations and analysis tonight were overly kind. Not sure how you give Courtney a stock up when he got burned just as much as JJ did. Even with Courtney's intensity they were still able to get shots off over his head. Both should be in the stock down section and that's being overly kind.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

Actually his anger isn't misplaced. Rashard in Feb shot 382% and it would have been worse except for one game in the month where he shot 600% and now against the Bulls where he shot 250%

Hedo for the month of Feb shot .394% better then Lewis and yes 401% for the year.

Lewis was doing very well until the last game in Jan and most of Feb except for one game the rest of the games during this time period Lewis forgot to show up for the games.

Considering the kind of money he is earning it would be nice if he could remember how to shoot otherwise we can kiss this season goodbye.

Seems to me that we shouldn't be complaining when we have two guys shooting well over 100%.

I'll also throw in, yet again, that Rashard's contract is not his fault. That falls on management. It's quite silly to give a guy like Rashard a contract that big and then get upset when he doesn't magically propel his game to an MVP level. And that point is especially true for a guy who had been in the league for nine years already when he signed.

Just a bad loss. I'm bummed, but it doesn't mean the season is in the toilet. The test will be how we respond tonight.

I was very very glad to hear how upset SVG was, that he didn't pull any punches, and that he called everyone out, even Dwight.

There is much work to be done and every player and every coach needs to realize that every night.

We are not yet a team capable of winning a title on talent alone. We must work for it every night. They didn't do that last night.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

Actually his anger isn't misplaced. Rashard in Feb shot 382% and it would have been worse except for one game in the month where he shot 600% and now against the Bulls where he shot 250%

Hedo for the month of Feb shot .394% better then Lewis and yes 401% for the year.

Lewis was doing very well until the last game in Jan and most of Feb except for one game the rest of the games during this time period Lewis forgot to show up for the games.

Considering the kind of money he is earning it would be nice if he could remember how to shoot otherwise we can kiss this season goodbye.

Seems to me that we shouldn't be complaining when we have two guys shooting well over 100%.

I'll also throw in, yet again, that Rashard's contract is not his fault. That falls on management. It's quite silly to give a guy like Rashard a contract that big and then get upset when he doesn't magically propel his game to an MVP level. And that point is especially true for a guy who had been in the league for nine years already when he signed.

man with those kind of numbers we should be killing teams, what would be 382%? like ever time he hits a 3 pointer it counts for 6.5?

pec is starting to prove to me that stats need to get thrown out the window, and if your going to look at stats, then include effective screen running, taking a defender out of the picture because he has to stay on you on the perimeter, and fist bumps or someting that boosts morale.

my biggest example of this is perkins from the celts, i don't think he's on anyone's fantasy team, but the dude is a big piece of that celtic pie. he was out and they dropped 5 out of 7, kg is out and they're still on a winning streak, that's saying something about him.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by D-Guy:

Chalk this up as another game where dwight asserts himself offensively and falls asleep on D.

You're right. It's Dwight's fault that no one guarded Gordon, Hinrich, Tim Thomas, or Luol Deng all night. Totally Dwight's fault.

Honest to god, half this board needs to be electroshocked for their own good.

Noah dunked multiple times because of bad rotations by dwight(which in itself is blasphemy), I'm not blaming the shooting on him but the bulls scored more than just jump shots as well.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Chalk this up as another game where dwight asserts himself offensively and falls asleep on D.

You're right. It's Dwight's fault that no one guarded Gordon, Hinrich, Tim Thomas, or Luol Deng all night. Totally Dwight's fault.

Honest to god, half this board needs to be electroshocked for their own good.

Noah dunked multiple times because of bad rotations by dwight(which in itself is blasphemy), I'm not blaming the shooting on him but the bulls scored more than just jump shots as well.

It wasn't Dwight's rotation that was missed. Dwight had to rotate to defend the pick and roll. When Dwights guy rolls to the rim its Rashard or Turks job (depending on who else is involved in the pick and roll) to come down and pick up Dwight's man. That's who missed their rotation.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

quote:

man with those kind of numbers we should be killing teams, what would be 382%? like ever time he hits a 3 pointer it counts for 6.5?

pec is starting to prove to me that stats need to get thrown out the window, and if your going to look at stats, then include effective screen running, taking a defender out of the picture because he has to stay on you on the perimeter, and fist bumps or someting that boosts morale.

my biggest example of this is perkins from the celts, i don't think he's on anyone's fantasy team, but the dude is a big piece of that celtic pie. he was out and they dropped 5 out of 7, kg is out and they're still on a winning streak, that's saying something about him.

how can you expect her to look at screens and taking a defender out of the picture when she's concentrating every braincell on finding a way to defend anything jj does?

quote:

wrong, the bulls got into the paint, howard had to cover them and then they dished to noah who scored easily because his no one helped dwight out. It's either a dunk by noah or a dunk by rose...but i guess either one is dwight's fault according to some.

also to the people who complain when dwight scores a lot we don't win and he doesn't concentrate on D...where were your genius analyses when he put up 45 w/ 8 blocks or he put up 32 and we blew out the heat. Just a tip for you geniuses...if you're trying to point out a trend, you can't just focus on the games when it's true. It makes you look incredibly stupid.

Its actually kind of good to get one of those beatings every now and then in my opinion because it helps you re-focus. I think they were on a rafer high and thought they could do no wrong.

Like alot have stated you have to work for it it will not just magically appear every night. But also it goes with flow of a NBA season. Sometimes you run into a team that shoots the lights out. Does anyone really believe the Bulls would do that over a 7 game series.

I truly love that SVG can just rip into the players and that they usually respond. I am looking forward to what kind of effort they give tonight but am expecting a high scoring game simply by the pace in which the Knicks play at.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

quote:

how can you expect her to look at screens and taking a defender out of the picture when she's concentrating every braincell on finding a way to defend anything jj does?

quote:

wrong, the bulls got into the paint, howard had to cover them and then they dished to noah who scored easily because his no one helped dwight out. It's either a dunk by noah or a dunk by rose...but i guess either one is dwight's fault according to some.

also to the people who complain when dwight scores a lot we don't win and he doesn't concentrate on D...where were your genius analyses when he put up 45 w/ 8 blocks or he put up 32 and we blew out the heat. Just a tip for you geniuses...if you're trying to point out a trend, you can't just focus on the games when it's true. It makes you look incredibly stupid.

Didn't think of it that way, I guess I'm still blinded by rage from losing to what I believe to be an inferior opponent. The saying still goes, its the NBA and on any night any team has a chance to win against everyone.

Also about dwight scoring you can't just use 2 games as an example since before those 2 games when dwight blows up scoring he has a tendency to fall asleep on D, but lately he's been working on that as can be seen by those 2 games you mentioned. Its nice to see the improvement but you can't forget the past because of 2(granted 2 very good) games, just like we can't blow up the team after 1 bad game. Lots of overreactions going on here, myself included.