Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis and Stan comments about trading deadline(links)

From Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld:

quote:

The Magic's glaring need for a starting caliber point guard was clearly on display tonight, and the Magic had absolutely no answer. They also had almost no shots fall, The Magic won't win many games when Hedo Turkoglu shoots 2 for 10 from the field.

- Magic Head coach Stan Van Gundy said he did not expect his club to trigger a significant trade. He did say Magic GM Otis Smith was talking with teams, and that if a deal were to happen both he and Otis are on the same page. Stan wouldn't go into specifics on which players could be on the move, but he did indicate that any deal the team made would be with an eye towards the Magic's off-season business, citing the need to re-sign Hedo Turkoglu, saying the team would not consider anything that could effect that move this July. Several times Stan said this group of guys would be his core, and that he could not imagine anything major happening before tomorrow's 3pm EST deadline.

- Stan Van Gundy also said this was the first time in his 2 years with the Magic that he's seen his guys hanging their heads, saying that they had won 6 of their last 12 games, playing .500 basketball and guys were depressed. Stan found that amusing, but said he was concerned, because this group is not one to hang their heads after a loss.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Blog...8993&LEAGUE_CODE=NBA

Now from the Sentinel:

quote:

Neither Magic GM Otis Smith nor injured PG Jameer Nelson made the trip to New Orleans for the club's game against the Hornets on Wednesday night.

Smith was hunkered down in Orlando monitoring the phones before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline.

Smith has said as late as Tuesday night that he doesn't expect to make a move, but he will listen.

"I know who our team is. I know what we have today," Smith said.

"But you always have to listen and hear what's out there for you."

Anyone hoping for our management to make a move, like me, sorry to disappoint you...let's all pray for a miracle.

Depressing...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...eb19,0,6882651.story

quote:

The Magic's glaring need for a starting caliber point guard was clearly on display tonight, and the Magic had absolutely no answer. They also had almost no shots fall, The Magic won't win many games when Hedo Turkoglu shoots 2 for 10 from the field.

- Magic Head coach Stan Van Gundy said he did not expect his club to trigger a significant trade. He did say Magic GM Otis Smith was talking with teams, and that if a deal were to happen both he and Otis are on the same page. Stan wouldn't go into specifics on which players could be on the move, but he did indicate that any deal the team made would be with an eye towards the Magic's off-season business, citing the need to re-sign Hedo Turkoglu, saying the team would not consider anything that could effect that move this July. Several times Stan said this group of guys would be his core, and that he could not imagine anything major happening before tomorrow's 3pm EST deadline.

- Stan Van Gundy also said this was the first time in his 2 years with the Magic that he's seen his guys hanging their heads, saying that they had won 6 of their last 12 games, playing .500 basketball and guys were depressed. Stan found that amusing, but said he was concerned, because this group is not one to hang their heads after a loss.

Now from the Sentinel:

quote:

Neither Magic GM Otis Smith nor injured PG Jameer Nelson made the trip to New Orleans for the club's game against the Hornets on Wednesday night.

Smith was hunkered down in Orlando monitoring the phones before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline.

Smith has said as late as Tuesday night that he doesn't expect to make a move, but he will listen.

Anyone hoping for our management to make a move, like me, sorry to disappoint you...let's all pray for a miracle.

Depressing...

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

It just disconcerts me as to how people can actually expect Orlando to pull off a significant trade, it's almost like they just completely forget everything about this team.

It would be nice to pull off a steal for a new quality starter at PG, but the truth of the matter is this current problem is the direct result of poor roster management long before Jameer was ever injured. Cross your fingers and pray is not the most effective management strat.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Now from the Sentinel:

quote:

Depressing...

It's too bad that we have to wait on other teams for something to happen. I like the way Felton played the other night and someone at his level would be worth picking up.

If we don't pick up a PG it is going to be a boring rest of the season and the players will be holding their heads - Lue just looks awful and there is no one who can penetrate.

You take Jameer out and the rest of the team has to make tougher shots. Jameer made it easier for everyone. Now, you don't have to worry about Lue or AJ busting it to the hoop or burying shot after shot and you stop Hedo as a playmaker and you more easily double Dwight and Lewis went MIA about 3 weeks ago.

It doesn't look good. A decent PG that could be the future backup would at least make the Magic fun to watch and maybe more competitive.

I understand that if you give away a player like JJ you want to be able to keep a guard and not have it be a one year rental, but we need to make a move even if it is Jason Williams. This PG lineup isn't going to cut it and it is hard for me to even go to a game knowing that it is going to be very slow play and likely lots of turnovers and a lower field goal percentage with these guys. We are not a good half court team and Nelson is key. We need something and we need Otis to initiate some calls.

I guess if Otis doesn't make a move he can try to pick up a waved player - we'll see.

quote:

It just disconcerts me as to how people can actually expect Orlando to pull off a significant trade, it's almost like they just completely forget everything about this team.

I agree, but I am not looking for a significant trade - I am just looking for a decent upgrade - I think it can be done - I think we could pick up Armstrong, Williams - someone else not even playing that would be better than Lue. Felton sounded like a real possibility, but the terms would have to be right.

In case it's overlooked in the other thread where I posted it...

The Magic are 3-4 since Jameer went down with opposing PGs averaging 20pts/7.7ast. If that's not reason for Otis to more actively pursue a reliable replacement, I don't know what is.

Are we supposed to be satisfied with riding our early season success to a 3rd seed only to watch our team lose in the first or second round?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

In case it's overlooked in the other thread where I posted it...

The Magic are 3-4 since Jameer went down with opposing PGs averaging 20pts/7.7ast. If that's not reason for Otis to more actively pursue a reliable replacement, I don't know what is.

Are we supposed to be satisfied with riding our early season success to a 3rd seed only to watch our team lose in the first or second round?

It is disappointing, but they did it to us a couple years ago when they wouldn't fire BHill and they ruined the season - it was so obvious. So, I'm thinking he won't do anything again and throw away this season where a guy the caliber of Felton - I think you liked him would salvage the season - how much better would we do? I think we would again be competitive - they would be fun to watch again and we would have a true backup going into next season. They would have a chance in the 2nd round of the playoffs where right now we have little to no chance in the 2nd round and they are going to be difficult to watch - battling with mediocre and poor teams. I still think they go 16-14 here on out with 55 wins, but there is too much talent for this to be a 500 club.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:

I agree, but I am not looking for a significant trade - I am just looking for a decent upgrade - I think it can be done - I think we could pick up Armstrong, Williams - someone else not even playing that would be better than Lue. Felton sounded like a real possibility, but the terms would have to be right.

Wut?

Also, anybody who thinks DA would have been an upgrade is sadly mistaken. Time machines don't exist.