Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Otis' Big Mistake '09

Barring no more moves, mark this down. Not trading for Earl Watson, or another half-way decent pg, will mean our team will be toast come playoff time. Two third string point guards are not gonna lead us anywhere.

Watson is a solid pg on a rebuilding team. The man is a good passer and defender. He is still young (29). Acquiring him probably would have only cost us Bogans and Cook, as well carrying some additional salary (a couple million) next year. This trade would have given us a shot, at least a shot, at a championship this year. Plus, it would have solidified the pg position for next year. Is that worth the extra green? Obviously not. Boo to management and possibly ownership for not taking this small risk.

Edit: I am guessing there are other pgs that could have been had, too, instead of Lue. I just chose Watson b/c he seemed the most obvious fit for our team.

Barring no more moves, mark this down. Not trading for Earl Watson, or another half-way decent pg, will mean our team will be toast come playoff time. Two third string point guards are not gonna lead us anywhere.

Watson is a solid pg on a rebuilding team. The man is a good passer and defender. He is still young (29). Acquiring him probably would have only cost us Bogans and Cook, as well carrying some additional salary (a couple million) next year. This trade would have given us a shot, at least a shot, at a championship this year. Plus, it would have solidified the pg position for next year. Is that worth the extra green? Obviously not. Boo to management and possibly ownership for not taking this small risk.

Edit: I am guessing there are other pgs that could have been had, too, instead of Lue. I just chose Watson b/c he seemed the most obvious fit for our team.

Now living in CT and not being a season holder, I feel for you all who are season ticker holders ... especially those who drive from far away. Would I drive an hour and a half each way on a regular basis (like I used to do) to watch AJ lead the Magic? Will you?

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Now living in CT and not being a season holder, I feel for you all who are season ticker holders ... especially those who drive from far away. Would I drive an hour and a half on a regular basis (like I used to do) to watch AJ lead the Magic? Will you?

The answer is yes for me. Not to see AJ lead the Magic but to watch the team perform as a while. I can understand frustration for what could have been but give the team some credit. Things might still turn out pretty good. Regardless, there was no guarantee we were gonna win it all with Jameer.

Everybody always says, "there is no way we can trade for or replace an all-star point guard".

I agree...

But is being led into the post-season by 2 3rd string point guards the best Otis could do...?

Especially in light of the fact we are so close to the top of the pecking order...

It's depressing...

And please spare me the posts of "let's wait and see how Lue pans out".

Yeah, there weren't any guarantees with Jameer...that's true.

But I can gaurantee you one thing...with Lue and Johnson running the point we'll be lucky to make the second round.

And depending on the match-up...we could have significant struggles in the first round.

Again, is two 3rd string point guards the best Otis could do...?

AJ and Lue will not run the team as much as Hedo. That's a better position to be in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Everybody always says, "there is no way we can trade for or replace an all-star point guard".

I agree...

But is being led into the post-season by 2 3rd string point guards the best Otis could do...?

Especially in light of the fact we are so close to the top of the pecking order...

It's depressing...

But I can gaurantee you one thing...with Lue and Johnson running the point we'll be lucky to make the second round.

And depending on the match-up...we could have significant struggles in the first round.

Injuries are a part of the game and so is losing. The player whose our fortune rode upon went down for the season. It happens sometimes. Get over it. I like this team's shot next season and the improvement that Courtney Lee and Mickeal Pietrus recieve could prove quite valuable for the future.

It sucks but it is what it is and thinking that Chucky friggen' Atkins would give us even a shot doesn't help anyone.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I agree...

It's depressing...

That's fun. Let's highlight one of the two weaknesses on this team. Our back-up point guard wasn't very good and frankly, I don't have any idea how people can't get it through their head that OTIS DID THE RIGHT THING. Jameer isn't very good when there is any real threat to his minutes playing behind him. Let him develop some confidence with a weak back-up. Give him the David Garrard treatment and reap the benefits.

Otis thoroughly improved the roster from last season to this; upgrading the starting and back-up shooting guards, making one of the best defensive and atheletic tandoms in the NBA and downgrading our back-up point guard giving Jameer the confidence he needs to become as good as he can be.

(The David Garrard treatment was a reference to the Jaguars cutting "starter" Byron Leftwich a few days before the season began giving David the job. He lead the Jaguars to an 11-5 record.)

There are no gaurantees for next year either.

What if Lewis goes down...what if Dwight gets hurt...???

You can't live life waiting for next season because it may never happen the way you want then either.

The future is now...we are amongst the top of the league now...

Would it really have killed Mr. Devos to trade Coook and Bogans for Earl Watson...?

At least he'd have given us a better chance... from my view point.

Watson wasn't to take us all the way to the finals! With Nelson....maybe. Bringing another PG with 2 years on the contract wouldn't be a smart move.

Lue and AJ suck, but Hedo will be running the offense.

I am not trying to be negative here, but as soon as Nelson went down the season pretty much ended for me. We will make the playoffs and we may get to the second round, but we won't be able to beat Boston, Cleveland or Detroit and chances are we will face one of them on the 2nd round.

You'll see teams fighting to the 6th seed so they can face the Magic.