Sign in to follow this  
Berto

Shaq on Dwight and the Magic

quote:
I lobbed a softball question in Shaq's direction before the Suns played the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, and O'Neal hit it out of the park -- to the opposite field.

"If there's such a thing as the 'next Shaq,' is Dwight Howard the closest thing you've seen?" I asked.

"No," he said. "Not at all. He's a good player. He can jump. But no. I was the type of player that they had to have secret meetings and change the rules and do all that. Probably never be another me. He's a good player, but everything he's done, I've invented. So I'm not impressed."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11286471/rss

There's more in the article including his idea that Hedo is our MVP which is borderline insanity.

quote:
I lobbed a softball question in Shaq's direction before the Suns played the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, and O'Neal hit it out of the park -- to the opposite field.

"If there's such a thing as the 'next Shaq,' is Dwight Howard the closest thing you've seen?" I asked.

"No," he said. "Not at all. He's a good player. He can jump. But no. I was the type of player that they had to have secret meetings and change the rules and do all that. Probably never be another me. He's a good player, but everything he's done, I've invented. So I'm not impressed."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11286471/rss

There's more in the article including his idea that Hedo is our MVP which is borderline insanity.

LOL. Sure, Dwight possibly isn't as good as Shaq was when he was younger, but Shaq just comes off as a bitter old man unwilling to accept the fact that one day there will be players better then he was. Shaq wasn't Jordan. There WILL be another Shaq.

and that's why you never want Shaq buying your team. His ego would get in the way of effective management.

I'm actually a Shaq fan - but he didn't really invent anything. Nothing about his game was creative.

He is right, to an extent.

They play the same position, but are different types of players.

Dwight is not Shaq, will never be the same type of player Shaq was/is, and by that same merit, Shaq could never have been the same type of player Dwight is, or will become.

As for his "I'm not impressed." comment, that's ego getting in the way and refusing to acknowledge Dwight on his own merits.

dunk contest,

more than a one trick pony when it comes to humor,

a few years into the league and he's trying to add a jumpshot,

he practices free throw's obviously,

he can jump is a blatant understatement,

body fat percentage, i know shaq looked thinner when he was young, but dwight is like david robinson ripped.

Shaq annoys me. Of course there will not be another Shaq as there will never be another Jordan. Kobe, Lebron or Wade could win more championships than Jordan, but they are not the same players, characters and whatnot as Jordan was.

Same with Shaq. Dwight is a totally dominating force but for the long run I'd take Dwight over Shaq because of his personality, work ethic and being faithful to the club that drafted him. Let's just hope Dwight won't get some Hollywood movie dreams like a certain someone did.

And who knows, maybe Dwight will be able to win more rings than Shaq did and with one and the same team!

You got to think about the fact that Dwight is only 23. I know at the same ages Shaq had better numbers but Dwight has another 5 to 6 years before he hits his prime...