Sign in to follow this  
fishybashi

Otis Smith is the man...

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

I bet Stan can't wait to get to training camp to tinker with all of these pieces.

He's gonna be like a kid in a candy store. Or a Stan in a pizza joint.

Seriously. We have so many lineup possibilities.

Not only that, but we have quite possibly the most athletic frontcourt in the league, and that's not even including Foyle yet!

quote:

I bet Stan can't wait to get to training camp to tinker with all of these pieces.

i'm trying to remember, but i think most of stan's yelling and throwing papers around last year was due to turk.... i wonder if he will yell less having a humble RA, and bass on the squad.

most of me says he will yell even more, but whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

Not only that, but we have quite possibly the most athletic frontcourt in the league, and that's not even including Foyle yet!

lol so foyle would add or subtract to that?

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

quote:

lol so foyle would add or subtract to that?

Add of course.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

jj wouldnt be any worse than marcus williams on the defensive end

Due to the beasts we have anchoring the paint, only a dead-eye jumpshooting PG would present problems. Somebody like an Eddie House is the only backup PG that would give JJ fits.

If we can bring in Von Wafer, I would think it's a no-brainer to mold JJ into a PG.

i agree

Word.

Or if Otis shocks the world and brings in Marquis Daniels, then J.J. is automatically our backup PG.

I would agree with that move in Daniels, and I would make JJ the defacto back up anyway! This get's him more exposure if we have to package him in a mid-season trade with Marcin!! Great thought.

Of our 2-guards, JJ did the best job on Kobe. Granted, it was for VERY limited minutes, but still - the guy tried, and succeeded, in bits.

i love the idea of molding JJ into a backup PG. i give the guy credit for his attitude and high basketball IQ.

we are going to have a deep bench next year! this summer is off to a great start!

quote:

To further expand...Who does JJ have a better chance of getting an uncontested jumpshot against? A shorter, quicker PG? Or any number of taller, lengthier SGs?

It would only seem natural to move him top the backup PG spot (for many reasons).

I agree with this viewpoint.

If JJ is being guarded by the PG, that means that the PG has to stay home on JJ. I would be willing to bet that close to half of the strips of Dwight were done by opposing PGs. Dwight did a much better job last year of looking for JJ out of a double team. If the rest of the team would catch on to that, they might find that JJ would have more of an impact on the game.

Then it would be in his hands whether the impact is positive or negative. But this organization needs to find out that answer, and they need to find it out by no later than the trading deadline this year.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

To further expand...Who does JJ have a better chance of getting an uncontested jumpshot against? A shorter, quicker PG? Or any number of taller, lengthier SGs?

It would only seem natural to move him top the backup PG spot (for many reasons).

I agree with this viewpoint.

If JJ is being guarded by the PG, that means that the PG has to stay home on JJ. I would be willing to bet that close to half of the strips of Dwight were done by opposing PGs. Dwight did a much better job last year of looking for JJ out of a double team. If the rest of the team would catch on to that, they might find that JJ would have more of an impact on the game.

Then it would be in his hands whether the impact is positive or negative. But this organization needs to find out that answer, and they need to find it out by no later than the trading deadline this year.

I wish I had the time right now to look up Dwight's TO rate during the first half of the season when Jameer was lurking on the perimeter as one of the best jump shooters in the league, dictating that opposing PGs couldn't dive down to double D12 without paying the price, versus later in the year when AJ & Rafer weren't nearly the same type of threat.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

1) I still wanna see the backup pg position upgraded. It could easily be argued this is the 5th most important player on the roster.

2) Otiz really has nobody to blame but himself for having to give Gortat such a big deal.

3) Since the Ariza fiasco, Otiz has been outstanding.

If Otis signs Gortat to an extension last season, do we still get Bass in FA this off season?

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

i'm trying to remember, but i think most of stan's yelling and throwing papers around last year was due to turk.... i wonder if he will yell less having a humble RA, and bass on the squad.

most of me says he will yell even more, but whatever.

the reason i would throw papers around and yell was due to Turk as well, im looking forward to a less stressful season as well.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

1) I still wanna see the backup pg position upgraded. It could easily be argued this is the 5th most important player on the roster.

2) Otiz really has nobody to blame but himself for having to give Gortat such a big deal.

3) Since the Ariza fiasco, Otiz has been outstanding.

If Otis signs Gortat to an extension last season, do we still get Bass in FA this off season?

I don't see how Gortat being inked to a cheap deal would have prevented Bass from signing, but it's entirely possible.

Actually giving Otiz' offseason moves some thought, didn't he really just do what the consensus on the board was calling for 2 seasons ago when he allowed the magic's expirings to expire? At that point, the Nets were already trying to dump VC, & this board has been begging for a legit PF.

I guess ownership actually had to see the team in the finals to believe that was it's potential...had they committed then however, the old man might have already had his opportunity to lift the gold ball.