Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Dear NBA-Dont F with Us Love, The Blazers

couldn't we sign miles then trade him to portland for sergio rodriguez or someone?

Somehow i think that would be illegal but it would work out well for us if its not.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

couldn't we sign miles then trade him to portland for sergio rodriguez or someone?

Somehow i think that would be illegal but it would work out well for us if its not.

Yeah nvm, the rule for free agents is the can't be traded until dec 15th or 3 months, whatever comes later. I thought it was whichever comes first.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

What if the Blazers signed him and put him on IR?

Based off the fact that one of the initial reasons for the rule was to keep teams from declaring players medically retired then resigning them for smaller deals, I doubt it, and I'm sure that, as LOD pointed out, Miles would never resign with the Blazers at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Is this not eerily similar to the Joe Smith debacle?

I'm sure the T-Wolves are interested in seeing Sterns response & I'm still at a loss as to why Memphis didn't keep him around long enough to play him in 2 more games.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

I'm sure the T-Wolves are interested in seeing Sterns response & I'm still at a loss as to why Memphis didn't keep him around long enough to play him in 2 more games.

I'm guessing the same reason we cut Richardson. Wasn't his contract about to become guaranteed?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

I'm guessing the same reason we cut Richardson. Wasn't his contract about to become guaranteed?

The media answer was that Darko was injured and they wanted to keep a roster spot open for an emergency big.

"F Darius Miles was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies right after their 94-87 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday. The 6-9 forward was told before the players and coaches boarded a plane for New Jersey where the Grizzlies played Wednesday. A decision whether to guarantee Miles for the rest of the season had to be reached by 5 p.m. Wednesday. Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said cutting Miles, who signed a nonguaranteed deal on Dec. 12, had more to do with the injury to C Darko Milicic than Miles' ability. Milicic will miss 4-6 weeks with a broken hand, and Memphis may need to bring in a bigger body."

Also, here is the latest news on the whole debacle.

quote:
Despite the Portland Trail Blazers

While I agree with LOD that teams should not sign him with the sole purpose of screwing the Blazers capwise. The Blazers have no right and could face damages from Miles himself for impeding in his right to work under the current CBA.

Stern and the NBA had to make a statement opposing this position or face the possibility of getting lumped in any lawsuit by Miles and/or the players association for even allowing it.

How would you feel if your employed laid you off but forbade you from working during your severence time even if they had no legal or contractactual right to do so?

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

How would you feel if your employed laid you off but forbade you from working during your severence time even if they had no legal or contractactual right to do so?

It's not really even a question of how he feels about it. It's 100%, no question about it, absolutely illegal to interfere with a person's ability to get a job. Miles never signed a non-compete clause, and therefore under the CBA he's allowed to seek employment elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

While I agree with LOD that teams should not sign him with the sole purpose of screwing the Blazers capwise. The Blazers have no right and could face damages from Miles himself for impeding in his right to work under the current CBA.

Stern and the NBA had to make a statement opposing this position or face the possibility of getting lumped in any lawsuit by Miles and/or the players association for even allowing it.

Miles is still getting paid, right?

The only thing they are potentially stopping him from doing is picking up a minimal contract for the rest of the season. So... damages taht amount to something less than 500k in the event they were forced to pay Miles would be much easier to stomach than having his contract hit their payroll and push them into the Lux Tax.

Unless of course punitive damages pushed the impact into the same realm. Even then, it's still financial only, and doesn't impact the team itself, and its ability to spend FA money.

That e-mail by Portland is just as wrong as it would be for a team to sign Miles with the sole purpose of screwing the Blazers.

I'm not a fan of Miles but I do side with him on this. The Blazers had no right to issue that statement.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Yeah, the contract was about to become guaranteed for the rest of the year, so it was time to go.