Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Poll: What Should Otis Do With Turk?

How do you think a lot of those guys got those bad contracts? A team with a stupid GM decided to overpay a player based off of one good season. Does that sound familiar?

Hedo is the new Arroyo. Ridiculously loyal fans, Lots of debate, some logical, some not, and a firestarter for controversy.

Here is the thing: Watching the game last night, my first game that I have been able to watch in a while, I was struck by how awful some of Hedo's shots were. I mean, completely insane 3-pointers, absurd turnaround jumpers, and the ever popular lob-layup. So I was thinking to myself "wow, those were crazy shots, at least they went in." Then I come in here and see people praising him for taking what the game gave him. Are you kidding me? If that is him taking efficient shots, how does he look in those 1-14 performances?!?

If you watch a game with a good scorer, there are a lot of shots, but they all make sense. Sure, there is the occasional ill-advised shot over a double-team, but you don't see sideways shots from behind the backboard or three pointers that look like a middle-aged man trying to win a cruise to Germany.

As for the assists, that has to be the most frustrating stat for me. Why? Because so often he gets an assist for absolutely nothing. How many times have you seen Jameer or Courtney or Rashard drive, kick it out to Hedo, who swings it to another guy waiting in the corner? All Hedo did was catch the ball and throw it to someone else, executing the simplest part of the play. Yet who gets the assist? The guy who drove and made the defense collapse? Nope, Hedo does. Now, that isn't to say Hedo isn't a good passer. He is, he is the best we have at throwing that backdoor lob to Dwight. But his assist stats are a bit overblown.

Now, I demand to be added to the list of Hedo Haters.

quote:
So I was thinking to myself "wow, those were crazy shots, at least they went in." Then I come in here and see people praising him for taking what the game gave him. Are you kidding me? If that is him taking efficient shots, how does he look in those 1-14 performances?!?

Rev, as God is my witness, that WAS a good game for Hedo. He only made me slap my forehead like 4 or 5 times last night.

I guess I'll move this over from the other thread.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Although the box score looks sexy (and 7 ast to zero TO is nice to see), he scored his points on bad shots that happened to fall for him. Anybody can achieve this every 5-8 games. That step-back fall away 3pointer from the top of the key was an atrociously bad shot, but it went down. The same shot from the elbow went down for him too. Bad decision making followed by remarable success is what creates such monster inefficiency down the line. What we are witnessing this year is a Hedo Turkoglu that feels like he can do nothing wrong, and his success last year has perpetuated this false sense of security within himself.

Another reasont hat I comepletely disagree with the assessment that Hedo played a great game last night is because Caron Butler went off for 29 points in the second half, nearly bringing the Wiz back to a tie, with Hedo playing as his main defender.

Hedo's bread and butter play.

He made it that time but I swear, free throws shot by Dwight blind-folded will have a better percentage of going in than those crazy drives.

Feels good when they go in though, and likely to be included in the top "plays" of the week.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Fifth, no one should EVER list defense when listing Hedo's contributions. He's not even a top 8 defender on his own team. The idea that his defense is anything other than a massive liability is a delusion.

Actually the delusion would be believing that his defense is a massive liability.

quote:
Originally posted by Eyriq:

quote:

Fifth, no one should EVER list defense when listing Hedo's contributions. He's not even a top 8 defender on his own team. The idea that his defense is anything other than a massive liability is a delusion.

Actually the delusion would be believing that his defense is a massive liability.

agreed...

quote:

quote:

You're right. I'm so sorry.

Hedo is actually the greatest defender in the universe. He just frequently loses his man away from the ball, gets beaten off the dribble repeatedly, is lazy on his rotations when he rotates at all(which is rare to begin with), and has all the help defense skills of a wet mop as a method of lulling offenses into a false sense of security.

He's actually an evil defensive genius, and by this time tomorrow, he'll have turned me into a toad.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hedo is actually the greatest defender in the universe. He just frequently loses his man away from the ball, gets beaten off the dribble repeatedly, is lazy on his rotations when he rotates at all(which is rare to begin with), and has all the help defense skills of a wet mop as a method of lulling offenses into a false sense of security.

He's actually an evil defensive genius, and by this time tomorrow, he'll have turned me into a toad.

Well that would be a delusion too. I guess this makes you delusional!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well that would be a delusion too. I guess this makes you delusional!

agreed...

quote:

Since the two of you say you disagree, riddle me this: do you disagree with the assessment that there are 8 players that he's inferior to on defense on the Magic?

If so, who do you think he's better than?

DRtg has him tied for 7th

Defensive Win Shares has him 3rd (those can be found here

Opponent Production has him 5th (82 games)

Defensive Rating over at Basket Ball Value has him 3rd.

Subjectively speaking, I'd rank the defenders thusly;

1)Howard 2)Gortat 3)Battie 4)MP 5)Lee 6)Lewis 7)Foyle 8)Turk

Or something like that