Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

The Road to the Top of the East(09-10 version)pg. 41

quote:
Originally posted by Obawan12:

It's to bad Toronto sucks so bad, they had there chances today but they just did not want to win.

They will get another shot tomorrow in Boston.

Maybe Calderon will be able to give a stronger effort in his 2nd game back from injury.

And ATL is definitely in trouble. If they're not careful, they'll fall behind the Heat.

Up-to-date standings:

1.) Cavs - 29-6

2.) MAGIC - 30-8 GB 1/2

3.) Celtics- 30-9 GB 1

4.) Detroit- 22-13 GB 7

5.) Hawks - 22-14 GB 7 1/2

Key game tonight:

Toronto at Boston 7:30 NBA TV

You know, when I started this thread I thought we had a chance to get the top seed and I was hoping and felt it was worthy of following the race.

After last night, going into yet another Western Big Dogs house and winning on the road I am starting to "BELIEVE"(sorry Jack) we can actually do this.

Today is January 12 and we already have 30 wins on the year...

Go Magic!!!!!

I'm wondering why this thread hasn't been stickied yet.

Boston will most likely win tonight against the Raps.

I think it's going to take something in the region of 62ish wins to secure 1st seed this season. And to think I was laughed at when I stated that the Magic could win 60 games earlier in the season.

I don't know where else to put this, this is the only place it fits.

It's 9:00 on a Monday night, and Toronto leads Boston 61-52 with about 9 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

Bargnani ties the game at 93 with a 3-pointer! One second left. Strangely enough, the assist was by Kapono. That's why Bargs was wide open, everyone ran at Kapono. ... WOW. Almost Hedo-to-Dwight style out of bounds with Pierce to Rondo, but Rondo couldn't quite tip it in. Overtime.

Well so much for that. Toronto's defense falls apart in OT, letting Boston score 22 points in the OT period, a new team record. However, Toronto stole the ball down 4, but missed a Kapono 3-pointer with about 15 seconds left or so.

So it was close to being nyce for the Magic, but no cigar. The Celtics tightened on the defensive screws just barely enough in the 4th to win. Big game by Pierce, too.

Yeah, I watched it too Sky. The Raps just didn't have enough in overtime to get it done.

Up-to-date standings:

1.) Cavs - 29-6

2.) MAGIC - 30-8 GB 1/2

3.) Celtics- 31-9 GB 1/2

4.) Detroit- 22-13 GB 7

5.) Hawks - 22-14 GB 7 1/2

Key games tonight:

Charlotte at Detroit 7:30

Cleveland at Memphis 8:00

Hawks at Phoenix 9:00

MAGIC at Kings 10:00

By the way, Brian Schmitz of the Sentinel is getting the "Top of the East" fever this morning.

His headline story is about how he thinks the Magic can win the East. He supports his argument with schedule quirks(etc.) facts and and some very good points.

Take a read if you wish:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...an13,0,7870249.story

Its really looking like Boston is showing its age. I don't think they have had a single game in two weeks that they didn't struggle in. Their bench other than Leon Powe really struggles and they have no size other than KG and Perkins (who is also struggling).

I thought it would be at least another year before Boston lost a step but they clearly aren't the same team they were last year.

Posted it in the Mike Moreau chat going on at Hoopsworld at noon...

Boston's only victories in the last month have come against teams with a combined win percentage of .329.

They're schedule has toughened up and they are finally looking like the team everybody but ESPN knew they were; OVERRATED!

Even if you look at some of the tougher games they played ealrier in the season where they were victorious:

Against Orlando with 3 starters out.

Against Atlanta with Josh Smith out

Against Detroit right after the trade

Against Milwaukee with Redd out

Against Philly with Brand out

Against Utah with Boozer out

New Orleans with Chandler out

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Posted it in the Mike Moreau chat going on at Hoopsworld at noon...

Boston's only victories in the last month have come against teams with a combined win percentage of .329.

They're schedule has toughened up and they are finally looking like the team everybody but ESPN knew they were; OVERRATED!

Even if you look at some of the tougher games they played ealrier in the season where they were victorious:

Against Orlando with 3 starters out.

Against Atlanta with Josh Smith out

Against Detroit right after the trade

Against Milwaukee with Redd out

Against Philly with Brand out

Against Utah with Boozer out

New Orleans with Chandler out

did you see last night where garnett called pierce superman or something, even the espn guys had to step in and say dwight is the superman.

Boston's strength turned out to be , out of all people, Perkins?!? He got injured and they started losing. They peaked early in the season.

I believe Pierce is a very overrated guy, considering his team floated at the bottom of the league for how many years before KG and Allen arrived.

Lebron is not overrated as a hustle player but

Lebron's jump shot is also overrated in my opinion, this year they are falling a lot for him for some reason - but it is not going to continue like this all season long. Plus he really has not played with the really good defensive teams yet (i.e. Miami almost loss at home and loss on the road). At this point, the Cavs have already peaked, and the only place to go is down from here.

Lakers do not have anything going except Bryant and Fisher, and sometimes Gasol at the time. They are not contenders in my opinion. Spurs will edge them to the finals again.

Magic on the other hand, has yet to realize their potential (a glimpse at the Atlanta game). If we peak at the correct time (towards the end of the season), we have a very good chance to win it all.

quote:
Lebron's jump shot is also overrated in my opinion, this year they are falling a lot for him for some reason - but it is not going to continue like this all season long. Plus he really has not played with the really good defensive teams yet (i.e. Miami almost loss at home and loss on the road). At this point, the Cavs have already peaked, and the only place to go is down from here

There are a lot of wrong statements in the above paragraph. Lebron's jumper is overrated? Its widely considered the worst part of his game. Miam is a good defensive team? They haven't played any good defensive teams? They just torched the Celtics last week.

I have no idea where you came up with your theories.

Miami is a stellar defensive team. They almost won at Lakers' Staples Center the other day. Only if they had any bigs, they would have upset the Lakers.

Cleveland has not played any of the contenders except Boston, which they lost the first game of the season against them. They beat Boston when Boston was at their worst.

When I say Lebron's jump shot is overrated, I mean that his percentages are up this year a lot (0.47 versus 0.51 this year), which is not going to sustain like this. People should not be relying on him, he is going to start missing those jump shots (against good defensive teams especially).

I come up with my theories through the process of learning and thinking. Don't we all?

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Lebron's jump shot is also overrated in my opinion, this year they are falling a lot for him for some reason - but it is not going to continue like this all season long. Plus he really has not played with the really good defensive teams yet (i.e. Miami almost loss at home and loss on the road). At this point, the Cavs have already peaked, and the only place to go is down from here

There are a lot of wrong statements in the above paragraph. Lebron's jumper is overrated? Its widely considered the worst part of his game. Miam is a good defensive team? They haven't played any good defensive teams? They just torched the Celtics last week.

I have no idea where you came up with your theories.

I think of all these recent years this is the first one I actually think the Magic have a real chance to get a #1 seed.

It's too early, but the Magic have shown they can beat the Celtics and the Cavs any given night, at least last year. While the Cavs are playing better, they're basically the same team, while the Magic added Pietrus, who's not playing right now, but other guys like JJ and Clee are contributing.

As of right now, the Magic are showing real promise of getting far, and Det looks no longer be a Magic killer this year.

I hope the Magic get the #1 seed, but if they don't, they can still fight a great series with either BOS or the Cavs, or both.