Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

The Road to the Top of the East(09-10 version)pg. 41

From John Hollinger:

quote:

3. A few months ago, if you'd heard that a diminutive guard blew up for 26 points in the fourth quarter to give the Pistons a crucial late-season win, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have guessed it was Will Bynum, and I'm equally sure you wouldn't have guessed "crucial" meant fighting for the No. 8 seed in the East.

I'm not sure we've heard enough about his exploits in Detroit's win over Charlotte on Sunday, which more or less secured a playoff spot for the Pistons and put the Bobcats on the brink of elimination. Given the Pistons' struggles in recent weeks, Bynum's explosion might have saved the season.

This season, Bynum's PER is now 18.08, which is pretty phenomenal for a guy Detroit picked up off the scrap heap, and helps explain why he's increasingly been seeing crunch-time minutes at the expense of Rodney Stuckey. He's averaging 20.8 points per 40 minutes and -- surprisingly for a guy with a shoot-first rep -- 8.0 assists, which makes Joe Dumars seem like a very wise man indeed, because when he signed Bynum for the league minimum last summer, he included a team option for next season that will keep him in his energizer role for a league-minimum salary.

Now that college basketball is over we can start moving in on the NBA Playoffs...tonight's important games in the Eastern Conference:

Atlanta at Toronto(7:00)

Philly at Charlotte(7:00)

New Orleans at Miami(7:30, NBA TV)

Knicks at Bulls(8:30)

And of course, your Orlando Magic with a big game in Houston against Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets...

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

Oh I get it you wanted the Magic to lose well that is some fan.

Even if the Magic were to get Detroit I would still want the Magic to get the 2nd seed. IMO things have changed and losing just to avoid a team isn't what this team is about.

who said anything about wanting to lose to avoid a team?

regardless of who we play in the first round, whether its Detroit or not, we're gonna win.

I want Detroit to get the 7 seed. So either we can play them in the first round and knock them off like I know we're gonna do, or they can play Boston in the first round. And with AI out, Detroit has a better chance of upsetting Boston which is the whole point of me saying "I want Boston to take Detroit in the first round. Especially if Garnetts out." So that a banged up Boston team could maybe fall to a lesser Detroit team, who we WILL beat.

Magic still have an excellent chance at the 2nd seed and yet you keep on mentioning Boston.

So it sounds like you want Boston to get the 2nd seed instead of the Magic.

The way things are going Detroit has a better chance of facing Cleveland and not either the Magic or Boston, though I am pulling for the Magic to get the 2nd seed.

Loss to Rockets - CHECK

Here is a pattern that seems obvious:

Team that has a big who can play Dwight straight up - CHECK

Strong Power Forward - CHECK

Good 2 guard - CHECK

--> Magic likely to lose

Detroit and Houston fit the mold very well.

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

I see possible Orlando losses to Rockets and Bobcats. Possible Boston losses to Cavs and Sixers. So, we might end up tied after all.

quote:
Originally posted by otownmagic333:

I'm gonna copy & paste my thread at realgm here

Boston is now on a 4-day break, and come back to play Wednesday to play the Nets.

Boston at 58-19 has 5 more games.

Nets

Heat

@Cavs

@Sixers

Wizards

Orlando at 56-19 have 7 games left

@Hawks

@Rockets

Grizzlies

Knicks

@Nets

@Bucks

Bobcats

You have to say we're the favorite for every game. But can we win 8 in a row? Hopefully Boston will be rusty with their 4 day rest. But I doubt it, Their game @Cavs is a big one!

So what do you think about the chances?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

quote:

Oh I get it you wanted the Magic to lose well that is some fan.

Even if the Magic were to get Detroit I would still want the Magic to get the 2nd seed. IMO things have changed and losing just to avoid a team isn't what this team is about.

who said anything about wanting to lose to avoid a team?

regardless of who we play in the first round, whether its Detroit or not, we're gonna win.

I want Detroit to get the 7 seed. So either we can play them in the first round and knock them off like I know we're gonna do, or they can play Boston in the first round. And with AI out, Detroit has a better chance of upsetting Boston which is the whole point of me saying "I want Boston to take Detroit in the first round. Especially if Garnetts out." So that a banged up Boston team could maybe fall to a lesser Detroit team, who we WILL beat.

Magic still have an excellent chance at the 2nd seed and yet you keep on mentioning Boston.

So it sounds like you want Boston to get the 2nd seed instead of the Magic.

The way things are going Detroit has a better chance of facing Cleveland and not either the Magic or Boston, though I am pulling for the Magic to get the 2nd seed.

I keep on mentioning Boston because it's a possibility. Are they not currently a game ahead of us for the 2nd seed? I feel like I'm repeating myself, I want Detroit to get the 7th seed so we can take them in the first round (because i want us to get the 2nd seed).

But, if we don't get the 2nd seed and boston does (which is, like i said, a possibility), i still want Detroit to be the 7th seed cuz i think the Pistons have a better shot then Chicago to knock Boston out which would be awesome. So i want Detroit to get the 7th seed no matter what. period. and i just told you why.

But like i said, I OBVIOUSLY WANT ORLANDO TO GET THE 2ND SEED. You just have to look at the situation realistically and think of the possibility of finishing behind Boston.

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Loss to Rockets - CHECK

Good 2 guard - CHECK

--> Magic likely to lose

I've always loved posts like this. You're making a prediction based off things that have already happened(which makes no sense), and you're using a logic that is incapable of being disproved because it's entirely based on your completely subjective ideas.

You create 3 categories that "ZOMG GUARANTEED LOSS!" that are at best only mildly defined, find a few examples to prove your theory(5 total, and that's ignoring a lot of what actually happened in those 5 games) and then you can ignore any and all evidence to the contrary by merely saying that the examples to the contrary don't meet one of your incredible subjective and arbitrary qualifications. And if that fails, and it's going to in the next paragraph, you can just yell "I said 'likely loss!!!!! ZOMG, STUPID HATER'" like a complete child, and act as though no one is allowed to question your completely ridiculous opinion.

Also I must admit, I'd love to hear about which of your three qualifications the Lakers don't meet. Or the Celtics. Or the Blazers. Or the Mavs. Or the Spurs.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Loss to Rockets - CHECK

Good 2 guard - CHECK

--> Magic likely to lose

I've always loved posts like this. You're making a prediction based off things that have already happened(which makes no sense), and you're using a logic that is incapable of being disproved because it's entirely based on your completely subjective ideas.

You create 3 categories that "ZOMG GUARANTEED LOSS!" that are at best only mildly defined, find a few examples to prove your theory(5 total, and that's ignoring a lot of what actually happened in those 5 games) and then you can ignore any and all evidence to the contrary by merely saying that the examples to the contrary don't meet one of your incredible subjective and arbitrary qualifications. And if that fails, and it's going to in the next paragraph, you can just yell "I said 'likely loss!!!!! ZOMG, STUPID HATER'" like a complete child, and act as though no one is allowed to question your completely ridiculous opinion.

Also I must admit, I'd love to hear about which of your three qualifications the Lakers don't meet. Or the Celtics. Or the Blazers. Or the Mavs. Or the Spurs.

I completely agree with you ma.

We ve seen Dwight stumble against better talented Centers. Last night was a perfect example. Instead of following the footsteps of shaq, he should try to develop himself as a more finess C, like Olajuwan and Ewing.

Braking the rim and the backboard while dunking wont get you 4 points. If you lack mid-range shot, you ll give in very easily when and if the opposing C is more talented and fund. stronger than you.

We all know Rashard is not a PF. Because of him, we ve become the ridicule of the leauge for being the perimeter team only.

As far as the play-offs, I dont think we ll go far. We ll demolish the Sixers but the second round will mean an early summer holiday for the players.

quote:
Originally posted by ClubMed:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Loss to Rockets - CHECK

Good 2 guard - CHECK

--> Magic likely to lose

I completely agree with you ma.

We ve seen Dwight stumble against better talented Centers. Last night was a perfect example. Instead of following the footsteps of shaq, he should try to develop himself as a more finess C, like Olajuwan and Ewing.

Braking the rim and the backboard while dunking wont get you 4 points. If you lack mid-range shot, you ll give in very easily when and if the opposing C is more talented and fund. stronger than you.

We all know Rashard is not a PF. Because of him, we ve become the ridicule of the leauge for being the perimeter team only.

As far as the play-offs, I dont think we ll go far. We ll demolish the Sixers but the second round will mean an early summer holiday for the players.

Houston was the only team the Magic didn't not either sweep or split with so that means the Magic deserve an early summer holiday. You really aren't a Magic fan are you.

MA's checklist was.................and nothing else.

About one week to go...here are the current Eastern Conference Standings:

1.) Cavs 62-15

2.) Celtics 58-19

3.) MAGIC 57-20

4.) Hawks 44-34

5.) Heat 41-37

6.) Sixers 40-37

7.) Bulls 38-40

8.) Pistons 37-40

9.) Bobcats 35-43

Tonight's relevant games:

Wash. at Cavs 7:00

N.J. at Boston 7:00

Detroit at N.Y. 7:30

Hawks at Bucks 8:00

And of course our Magic at home to Memphis.

Who do I want to win tonight?...Wiz, Nets, and the Knicks.

MAN!...I really want the Magic to get the 2nd seed and the homecourt...I just think we'll need it to get past the 2nd round...Us and Boston with 5 games left...we'll see...

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

1.) Cavs 62-15

2.) Celtics 58-19

3.) MAGIC 57-20

4.) Hawks 44-34

5.) Heat 41-37

6.) Sixers 40-37

7.) Bulls 38-40

8.) Pistons 37-40

9.) Bobcats 35-43

MAN!...I really want the Magic to get the 2nd seed and the homecourt...I just think we'll need it to get past the 2nd round...Us and Boston with 5 games left...we'll see...

I agree and they better come through on their end and then see who Boston loses to.

Boston is short two major players this time Garnett and Rondo.

There are three teams that have a chance Miami at home and Cleveland and Philly on the road.

BTW if Boston loses to both Cleveland and Philly and the Magic win out the Magic then win the tie breaker.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

1.) Cavs 62-15

2.) Celtics 58-19

3.) MAGIC 57-20

4.) Hawks 44-34

5.) Heat 41-37

6.) Sixers 40-37

7.) Bulls 38-40

8.) Pistons 37-40

9.) Bobcats 35-43

I

I thought if we ended the season tied with Boston that the Celtics would own the 2nd seed by virtue of the their better conference record...I know we split in our games with them during the regular season...In other words, we would have to finish one game ahead of them(Celtics).

Can anybody confirm...?