Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Otis make a roster move? Kyler gives his 2 cents - Chat(12:00)

quote:
We are terrified of upsetting chemistry, well how the heck are we ever going to add anyone? No risk, no reward, this team as is doesn't win a title without adding rebounding help. What good is chemistry if you can't win a title as is? Otis always repeats that winning a title is the goal, well, GET TO IT.

I still think if we need to play big we can destroy the boards starting D12 & Warlock, Shard at the 3, Turk at the 2 and Meer, and sub in Lee 1st to D up on a hot outside shooter!

I think too much is being made of the recent Detroit game. Weren't we tied in the middle of the fourth? Wasn't the game in Detroit? Haven't we won against some power house teams this year?

Yes, we need a back-up pg. Yes, we could use another big. Yes, we could shed Cookie's salary. Yes, we could trade Redick. But I don't anything significant happening b/c of our winning ways and our chronic sg injuries.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I think too much is being made of the recent Detroit game. Weren't we tied in the middle of the fourth? Wasn't the game in Detroit? Haven't we won against some power house teams this year?

Yes, we need a back-up pg. Yes, we could use another big. Yes, we could shed Cookie's salary. Yes, we could trade Redick. But I don't anything significant happening b/c of our winning ways and our chronic sg injuries.

You are right in everything you just said and that tells me as well that Otis is not going to do anything why should he.

quote:

Answer to question 1...yes(I think)

Answer to question 2...yes

Answer to question 3..."No"...we did beat the Lakers but I don't consider them as physical as the Celts, Cavs and Pistons.

As I said earlier...the Celts blew us out...we haven't played the Cavs and the Pistons front line was better than us and it made the difference in the game...yeah, we shouldn't make a big deal about 1 regular season game...problem is the Piston domination over us has been going on for years.

Hence, some of the veteran posters of this board are becoming out-spoken on the matter...I'm not alone...but, as I said earlier...when we finally get to play these teams is when we can "ALL" make a better determination.

Junkie, I've been calling for Turiaf all year for the toughness and rebounding factor. However, as I wrote, I don't see Otis doing anything given our winning ways. And at this point, I don't really blame him. We are REALLY good. The ONLY teams I see us struggling against are Detroit and Boston and both are quite old. Hmmm ... what to do.

quote:

Junkie, I've been calling for Turiaf all year for the toughness and rebounding factor. However, as I wrote, I don't see Otis doing anything given our winning ways. And at this point, I don't really blame him. We are REALLY good. The ONLY teams I see us struggling against are Detroit and Boston and both are quite old. Hmmm ... what to do.

Plus do we forget that Nelson was not in action for that Boston game we just had AJ and we know how well that went down.

Plus we almost beat Detroit at Detroit I don't see Detroit beating the Magic in Orlando.

Unlike last year Orlando is playing much better at home while still keeping it's winning ways on the road.

No reason for Otis to make a move.

Nelson, Bogans and Pietrus were out against Boston. Plus, our bigs outplayed their bigs in that game: 53 points and 27 boards for Orlando to 29 points and 27 boards for Boston.

From Bill Ingram of HoopsWorld...

quote:

Why Orlando's Not Dealing

There has been a lot of talk about the Orlando Magic this season, and not just about their impressive play on the court. For all of their success, there is still a feeling that the team needs a little something else to prepare them for the playoffs, yet despite a number of discussions with teams on various fronts, the Magic continue to stand pat.

The reason, as Steve Kyler alluded to in his Morning Report, is that there is a special chemistry in the Orlando locker room and it's not something the front office wants to screw up. In a way it's like a high school locker room, with everyone picking on everyone, but it's all in a very good-natured way.

Here's an example:

I was in Orlando covering a game last season and Dwight Howard pulled me aside as if he has some big secret to share. He asked me if I had seen the movie "Back To The Future," which of course I have. He then pointed at a member of the Magic media corps. Nothing else had to be said. I couldn't help but join Dwight in laughing hysterically, as the person he had pointed out had crazy flowing white hair - just like the character "Doc Brown" from the movie.

That's one example of the carefree, funloving atmosphere you find in Orlando, though I could give many others. That's what GM Otis Smith is terrified of messing with, and it's funny how one small move can throw a wrench in the works.

The Magic need a move, whether it's to shore up their front line or add a scoring point guard behind Jameer Nelson. They need one more player off the bench who can put some points on the board. But rest assured Smith won't make such a move unless he's reasonably certain the move won't upset the delicate balance.

Another writer who thinks the Magic need another piece...Come on Otis!...We are close to being Finals material... Make a move!!!...I guess the Celtic game(Jan. 22) and the Cavs game(Jan. 29) at the end of this month(both at home by the way) will tell the tale.

49 days till the trading deadline...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11093

Geez, it almost sounds like we have constructed this happy bubble and the team cant leave it.

Come on, this is the real world. Not some disney movie. Lets do what we need to do to get over the hump and win a ring. This thinking that the players cant handle anyone penetrating their perfect little world is flawed.

They are grown men and im sure that they can handle another player on this team, especially if its a piece that can really contribute and help this team win.

quote:

DJ in Fort Bragg, NC:

Hey Steve how are you doing? What is the word on Pietrus? He seems to be getting the injury bug this year, and as a result not meshing as well as he could in the starting lineup. Does his absence help or hurt the Magic in the long run?

Steve Kyler:

I think losing a guy hurts regardless... the diagnosis is broken wrist, he may be out until All-Star... I like MP, I think he brings an interesting dynamic to the team, but between fouls and injuries he's created a nice window for Keith Bogans and Courtney Lee... I think his injury make the Magic's need to add a player a bit more serious... I expect them to add a player Monday when ten day deals can be signed.

Interesting...yesterday when I orginally read his chat transcript I just skimmed over it rather quickly because the game was about to start.

I wonder who Otis will add to the roster as a 10-day contract...? Will he go big or small...?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

DJ in Fort Bragg, NC:

Hey Steve how are you doing? What is the word on Pietrus? He seems to be getting the injury bug this year, and as a result not meshing as well as he could in the starting lineup. Does his absence help or hurt the Magic in the long run?

Steve Kyler:

I think losing a guy hurts regardless... the diagnosis is broken wrist, he may be out until All-Star... I like MP, I think he brings an interesting dynamic to the team, but between fouls and injuries he's created a nice window for Keith Bogans and Courtney Lee... I think his injury make the Magic's need to add a player a bit more serious... I expect them to add a player Monday when ten day deals can be signed.

Interesting...yesterday when I orginally read his chat transcript I just skimmed over it rather quickly because the game was about to start.

I wonder who Otis will add to the roster as a 10-day contract...? Will he go big or small...?

Is Hendrix still available? Id like to take a chance on him.