Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Battle of the NBA prospects: Jennings dazzles, Rubio wins - USATODAY.com

ricky-rubiox.jpg

quote:
Two of the premier point guards who could be available in the next NBA draft went head to head Thursday in an important Euroleague match.

Spanish prodigy Ricky Rubio, 18, and American high school expatriate Brandon Jennings, 19, played important roles Thursday as Rubio's DKV Joventut team defeated Jennings and Lottomatica Roma 97-93 in front of more than 30 NBA scouts, executives and general managers at the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona, Spain.

Jennings, playing his first game under a new head coach after the firing of Croatian Jasmin Repesa, showed the scouts why he was considered the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2008 high school class. Taking advantage of increased playing time, he displayed speed, creativity and an ability to create shots for himself and others. He finished with 12 points and two assists in 23 minutes.

Rubio, limited to only eight minutes in only his second game because of a wrist injury, looked winded at times but still made his presence felt. He played his harassing style of defense, took command of his team's offense and showed a flair for reading defenses and improvising on the fly

ricky-rubiox.jpg

quote:
Two of the premier point guards who could be available in the next NBA draft went head to head Thursday in an important Euroleague match.

Spanish prodigy Ricky Rubio, 18, and American high school expatriate Brandon Jennings, 19, played important roles Thursday as Rubio's DKV Joventut team defeated Jennings and Lottomatica Roma 97-93 in front of more than 30 NBA scouts, executives and general managers at the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona, Spain.

Jennings, playing his first game under a new head coach after the firing of Croatian Jasmin Repesa, showed the scouts why he was considered the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2008 high school class. Taking advantage of increased playing time, he displayed speed, creativity and an ability to create shots for himself and others. He finished with 12 points and two assists in 23 minutes.

Rubio, limited to only eight minutes in only his second game because of a wrist injury, looked winded at times but still made his presence felt. He played his harassing style of defense, took command of his team's offense and showed a flair for reading defenses and improvising on the fly

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Rubio is already waffling about going into the draft next year, I wonder if the team with the #1 pick ends up being just a little worried about that.

Probably not, since they'd likely take Griffin anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Rubio is already waffling about going into the draft next year, I wonder if the team with the #1 pick ends up being just a little worried about that.

Remember last year how everybody was saying Beasley was a lock for the #1 pick. The same thing might happen to Griffin this year, especially if Rubio comes out.

I've read Rubio has contract issues that will keep him in Europe at least another season.

To answer the question, I like Rubio. He's not the pure athlete a lot of these young superstars have been (Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Howard, LeBron, ect...), but he owns a Bird like feel for the game.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Remember last year how everybody was saying Beasley was a lock for the #1 pick. The same thing might happen to Griffin this year, especially if Rubio comes out.

It's possible, but when I think of teams looking at good odds at #1, I'm looking at teams who already have point guards. The Clippers have Davis, the Wizards have Arenas, the Thunder have Westbrook, the Wolves have Foye, the Grizzlies have 73 different point guards, and so on.

On the other hand, none of those teams, except maybe the Wizards, couldn't use a tough 4 like Griffin.

But I concede it's possible.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I've read Rubio has contract issues that will keep him in Europe at least another season.

To answer the question, I like Rubio. He's not the pure athlete a lot of these young superstars have been (Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Howard, LeBron, ect...), but he owns a Bird like feel for the game.

Don't know about the contract, but there are worst issues with his health right now.

In august he had a pretty bad injury in his shooting hand, his team choose to not have surgery on it and go on with treatment

But after a few weeks in which he still feet a lot of pain, management changed their mind.

He was back a few weeks ago, but seems to be insicure on the court, and tonight he's re-injured in the same zone.

So, if this situation goes on, probably he'll not declare elegible anyway.

I agree with your analisis on his strenght anyway.