Sign in to follow this  
Magician09

Possible Backup PF Solution?

I have been scouring teams for a young '4' that can help provide defence and rebounding off the bench and I think I may have found the perfect guy...

Shelden Williams

Now I know he isn't a 'sexy' choice and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since he was drafted but he has always been known for his rebounding and shot blocking since his Duke days. It also helps that Otis and Dave were said to be quite high on him when he entered the draft and was even rumoured to be our selection if he was to be available.

He is only just in Sacramento's rotation and is not in their future plans (they didn't pick up his option) especially with Jason Thompson playing quite well.

He is a free agent at the end of the season so the Magic may take a look at him then but I think they should try and grab him now. It's not likely that it would cost much so we may even be able to trade Brian Cook and maybe a 2nd round pick for him.

What does everybody think?

I have been scouring teams for a young '4' that can help provide defence and rebounding off the bench and I think I may have found the perfect guy...

Shelden Williams

Now I know he isn't a 'sexy' choice and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since he was drafted but he has always been known for his rebounding and shot blocking since his Duke days. It also helps that Otis and Dave were said to be quite high on him when he entered the draft and was even rumoured to be our selection if he was to be available.

He is only just in Sacramento's rotation and is not in their future plans (they didn't pick up his option) especially with Jason Thompson playing quite well.

He is a free agent at the end of the season so the Magic may take a look at him then but I think they should try and grab him now. It's not likely that it would cost much so we may even be able to trade Brian Cook and maybe a 2nd round pick for him.

quote:
Originally posted by Magician09:

Shelden Williams

He will be restricted agent next summer. So it would have to be by trade. If we could get him for cook and a second, then yes. but no one wants cook, so i dont think it will happen.

He would help bang but he is short and gets overpowered down low-- since he has been in the league. I dont think he is a shot blocker in the NBA because of his size. Remember that kevin derant was also a shot block coming out of college, as well, but not in the nba. It is hard to compare college and the pros; Ask jj.

I personally think a more athletic 4 would fit our team better & matchup against some of the potential playoff matchups that could give us problems. KG, Bosh, Josh Smith.

But, he is 1 of the few 4's in the league with some measure of talent that is available, even if his girl friend might be a better NBA prospect. He is tough, can stroke a J, & as you said, the Magic were very high on him in the 06' Draft.

Of course, SVG wasn't around when the 06' draft took place, and the organization also like Adam Morrison over Rudy Gay, & JJ over Ronnie Brewer. So...if he could be had for nothing, it's worth a looksy, but you have to be concerned that he sits behind Hawes, Thompson, & Moore in Sactown, & has yet to prove he can do anything but bang at the 5 in the right situation.

This might be the first name posted that could be a realistic option. I am all for giving guys a real chance, playing time, to test what they are made of.

If it doesn't costs us a lot, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

We'll see how this turns out.

Let me preface this post by saying to Magician9 that this is not an indictment against his post, and I'm not against his idea.

But, in the JCrit thread that was just closed, some level of surprise was expressed that Crit was obtained for only a conditional 1st round pick.

Let this be a wake-up call to each one of us (I'm including myself). We can open another 50 threads discussing what wonderful players we can obtain by trading JJ, Bogans, Cook, Foyle, etc. if Otis would simply get off his lazy hind end and do something.

Well guess what? We just found out that a conditional 1st round pick exceeds the value of virtually any player that is not in our starting lineup. Our bench is not only worthless in our games (compared to other teams benches), but have absolutely ZERO trade value in this league.

So let's wake up and smell the fading roses. We will go as far as our starters will take us (sounds like 94-95 all over again, doesn't it), and there is no blockbuster trade available to us that will provide significant help (outside of trading Hedo, which I am not necessarily against). We have no other assets !!!

i'm not a fan of shelden's game...he's a flat footed stiff. I've watched him play in atl and now sac and he is very unimpressive. No athleticism, he's got a decent shot, but he's not very good on defense. We have scoring, we need defense at that position. Also, he's having trouble getting time in sac...they're playing micki moore ahead of him.

However, if he came here maybe JJ would have flashbaks to his duke days and stop sucking so bad.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Let me preface this post by saying to Magician9 that this is not an indictment against his post, and I'm not against his idea.

But, in the JCrit thread that was just closed, some level of surprise was expressed that Crit was obtained for only a conditional 1st round pick.

Let this be a wake-up call to each one of us (I'm including myself). We can open another 50 threads discussing what wonderful players we can obtain by trading JJ, Bogans, Cook, Foyle, etc. if Otis would simply get off his lazy hind end and do something.

Well guess what? We just found out that a conditional 1st round pick exceeds the value of virtually any player that is not in our starting lineup. Our bench is not only worthless in our games (compared to other teams benches), but have absolutely ZERO trade value in this league.

So let's wake up and smell the fading roses. We will go as far as our starters will take us (sounds like 94-95 all over again, doesn't it), and there is no blockbuster trade available to us that will provide significant help (outside of trading Hedo, which I am not necessarily against). We have no other assets !!!

I'd say that Lee has some pretty good trade value now, and you could probably bundle his low salary with Cooks high and get some talent out of it, but then you would lose a good talent in Lee and D12's best friend. I am not saying we should trade Lee because we shouldn't. But he does have value, and is a bench player.

quote:
Originally posted by hilltopper06:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I'd say that Lee has some pretty good trade value now, and you could probably bundle his low salary with Cooks high and get some talent out of it, but then you would lose a good talent in Lee and D12's best friend. I am not saying we should trade Lee because we shouldn't. But he does have value, and is a bench player.

I agree that Lee is the exception and has value, and that there is no way that Otis is going to trade him. It's the only good draft pick he's made. He's not going to discard his one and only trophy.

I think a guy that would fit in perfect is Udonis Haslem of the Heat. There was some speculation about him a year or so ago and I am not sure if this is even a possiblity (I'll let you smarter people figure all that out) But he can bang inside and he has a nice mid range jump shot with I think would help keep things open for Dwight.

Haslem would be just perfect, but there is like no way in the world...we'd have to take on some bad contract like blount or banks and give up something big, maybe 2 1sts or something if we're only giving up like cook/jj/bogans, Riley is keen on high return...also, Sheldon Williams would make for a nice banger off the bench, you wont get much production from him in >10mpg, but if he gets about 15-20 he can be a real force on the boards and in the post on defense...pretty foul prone but worth it, plus where ever he goes, Candace Parker follows...