Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

FANS GAME THREAD***MAGIC vs MAVERICKS...We Lose...103-98

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

In Jameers defense, Darko had a 6'4 guard on him, I would bet my life that if it is Dirk in that situation with Bogans on him, he would have gotten about 5 whistles going off at the same time.......

It's good that you have his back, because no one who's sane would dribble the clock down when your team is down, and pass it to a guy who's not having a good shooting game!

Now I would "defend" Jameer, sort of by saying it's Napoleon's fault for putting him in the game.

Brian Hill just has no common sense. Takes both Arroyo and Ariza out who were having a good game..

Why is this idiot still coaching the Magic after all this terrible coaching? What a lack of respect for the game, for the fans, and for the city.

Shame on you Mr. DeVos!

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

I agree, with you an I am only defending him on that one play, I still dont understand why JJ wasnt in?

The answer,Brian Hill.

I agree that if there's ever such a thing as a "good loss" this was it. The only thing that made me mad about the Magic losing was jerks like Stackhouse and Terry got the last laugh for now.

But this is definitely the kind of game that can springboard a team into a winning streak. The nightmare run of 13 games against 11 playoff teams is over, it's time for the Magic to start rolling on Monday.

By the way... where the heck is Tony Battie already!?

DALLAS -- Dwight Howard, affable, God-fearing and a fan of Finding Nemo, uncharacteristically snarled and had to be separated from an opponent.

Maybe the Orlando Magic do have some fight left in them.

It just wasn't enough Saturday night against the rampaging Dallas Mavericks, who escaped the Magic 103-98 to set a franchise record with their 15th consecutive victory.

The Mavs (50-9), armed with the NBA's best record, needed to display every one of their talents to dispose of the Magic (28-33) at American Airlines Center.

"There are no moral victories in the NBA," Coach Brian Hill said after his team showed some spunk coming off a pounding by the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night. "But I told the guys I was proud of the way we played.

"We had an opportunity with about 30 seconds left, and I don't think a lot of people would have thought we'd have a chance in here at the end."

The Magic face the Milwaukee Bucks on Monday night and are expected to have shooting guard Grant Hill in the lineup. Hill had his left foot examined Friday -- the diagnosis was arthritic pain -- and rejoined the team in Dallas.

Orlando led by as many as six midway through the final period and still was tied at 96 until turnovers again haunted it down the stretch. While the Magic committed just 12 for the game, two of them in the final minute and a half undermined a gritty effort.

Point guard Jameer Nelson lost the ball, and Josh Howard converted on a three-point play for a 101-96 lead.

Down 101-98 after two free throws by Howard, Darko Milicic had a pass stripped by Dirk Nowitzki with 27.8 seconds left. The Magic thought Milicic was fouled on the play. Nowitzki hit a jumper with 7.9 seconds remaining to give Dallas a 103-98 lead and seal the victory.

Both teams shot over 50 percent, but few teams emerge victorious from a shootout with the Mavs.

The Magic applied double teams to Nowitzki, who had 33 points in the Mavs' 111-95 blowout in Orlando on Jan. 23. Mavs guard Jason Terry made the Magic pay, cashing in for six 3-pointers to finish with 29 points and 15 assists. Nowitzki had 24 points and Josh Howard 21.

Said Brian Hill of Terry, "If he's not out there tonight, they don't win the game. That's a big 29 points from that position that they normally don't get."

Dwight Howard paced Orlando with 25 points and 10 rebounds and four blocks. Hedo Turkoglu added 19 and Nelson 17, but he also had five turnovers.

"We had our chances, no doubt about that," Nelson said. "We made some mistakes. I turned the ball over. We had our chances. We had 'em."

It was just another milestone for a powerhouse Mavericks team that boasts two other winning streaks this season of 13 and 12 games.

As for the Magic, they wobble home after a 1-3 road trip and having lost for the seventh time in their past eight games.

Orlando, currently out of the playoff picture, is tied with the New York Knicks (28-33), and both are behind the No. 8 New Jersey Nets (28-31). The Nets lost in overtime Saturday to the Boston Celtics.

"I think we have to give the Orlando Magic credit," Mavs forward Jerry Stackhouse said. "They did a great job of moving the ball and penetrating and doing all the things that we like to do."

Orlando trailed just 75-72 heading into the final period and took an 81-75 lead on Trevor Ariza's twisting drive and ensuing free throw. Ariza's putback kept the Magic ahead 86-83 as the visitors were trying to survive Terry's 3-point assault.

The Mavericks, who fell to the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals last season, came back on Nowitzki's 3-point play to lead 96-92 with under 3 minutes to play.

"Boy, it was a battle tonight with Orlando," Mavericks Coach Avery Johnson said. "I told Coach Hill they had a terrific young team. We were just fortunate to win this game."

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

Avery Johnson is a class guy,the Mavericks are a class team,they deserve the sucess they having right now.I'm proud of the magic,we played a hell of a game,turnovers were down,and we were there to the end. Just like the Detroit game at the end they were the team with more experiance. The Magic will be the Mavs and pistons in a couple of years,once these guys get some more experiance playing,and playing together. P.s. I hope G.Hill doesnt come back,so we can see more of our young guys play.

He is comng baq monday Erik, yipeeee...... And I am sure he will be starting, and I am sure Brian will have him guarding Michael Redd.....

Well there goes that idea. I'm just tired of seeing G.hill come in and out of the lineup,plus it seems like everyone especially turk plays better without him. Get rid of both of the Hills!

Is he coming back already? I read in the Sentinel that he was going back to Duke to consult with one of his former surgeons.