Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

Gamethread Nov. 22: Magic vs. Rockets @ 7PM

+/- is one of the dumbest stats in all of professional sports. It tells you nothing at all.

Our guys played hard tonight and i'm happy about that. If our big 3 was in tact tonight, i think we win. The rockets were not impressive at all to me. They had our team without turk and with dwight in foul trouble most of the game and couldn't do jack ****. They didn't beat us as much as they outlasted us.

F it...at least the Noles won tonight. I'll trade a magic loss for a noles win anytime!

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

We really missed Hedo tonight, didnt we?

Anyway, I think that if Jameer, Pietrus and Rashard keep playing like they have been doing lately, this could be another #3 seed season for us (behind Boston and Detroit).

But we will depend a lot on avoiding injuries, improving our bench play (like tonight) and having solid 25-15s from Dwight.

I think we had a solid performance tonight apart from not shooting the ball well. I think we could make #2 this year, but IMO the ones to watch are Cleveland.

I agree with the injury comment too, say what you like about Turk but we could have done with a couple of big 3's from him and it would have been a 'W'.

quote:
Originally posted by magicintheuk:

superb thread, plaudits deserved.

As for the game, time to see how deep we really are.

I too cannot understand why the warlock isn't allowed to play tonight

We win

I guess we found out last night how deep a bench we have and I have to say I'm impressed. If Shard had his eye in we would have had the game so it all bodes well for the rest of the season IMO

Too bad we lost, but it wasn't a loss to a bottom dwelling team. We aren't going to win the rest of the games anyway. Bench did good! Finally.

But this is a good thing to build off.

I added the game review and box score to the first post. So I guess that ends my gamethread. It was fun and thank you for the opurtunity :]

DWIGHT HOWARD BOWS TO YAO AS HOUSTON ROCKETS TRUMP ORLANDO MAGIC

Dwight Howard is big in China, but he isn't bigger than Yao Ming

ROCKETS SOAR PAST MAGIC

Yao outplays foul-plagued Howard

Even at 6-foot-11 and 268 pounds of muscle and awesome athleticism, Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard is dwarfed by Yao Ming. Houston's 7-foot-6 giant is the one player who can change the shot of the player who usually does just that to so many others.

And as he has so many times in the past, Yao was a one-man wrecking crew inside Saturday against the Magic, making Howard look ordinary defensively and spoiling Orlando's five-game winning streak.

Yao clearly won this battle of NBA titans, getting Howard in early foul trouble and contributing 22 points and 13 rebounds in Houston's 100-95 defeat of the Magic before a sellout crowd at Amway Arena.

"His turnaround jump shot, nobody is blocking it unless you are 7 (feet), 8 (inches)," Howard said with a sigh. ". . . It's fun (playing against Yao). He's like a big beanstalk and you've just got to chop."

Orlando (9-4) entered having won five in a row and nine of 10 games since opening the season with stunning losses to Atlanta and Memphis. Three of the Magic's losses -- to Atlanta, Portland and Houston -- have come against winning teams and they have yet to defeat a team with a better-than-.500 record.

Howard was limited to just 13 points on 5-of-10 shooting in 26 foul-plagued minutes. He had nine rebounds and two blocked shots.

"He's a lot bigger and he's the one guy who makes it tough for Dwight to power up and get over the top," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "He just can't get free against him. He definitely bothered him."

For the rest of the game recap by Florida Today, visit:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20081123/SPORTS16/811230322/1224

Can't say too much of this game, the streaming yesterday night was terrible, the only one barely working was in chinese and they were always going nuts for Yao...

Anyway, the bench was finally up, beating the Houston subs, but the starters were off (except Meer); one day we will fire in all cylinders (hopefully).

Two interesting things in Denton article:

quote:
Three of the Magic's losses -- to Atlanta, Portland and Houston -- have come against winning teams and they have yet to defeat a team with a better-than-.500 record.

Disturbing stat, I'm very happy that we're taking care of business against sub-500 teams, something that we don't do last year, but we need to step up against better teams.

Next stop: 1st devember at Boston, and after that we have a tough trip to the west.

quote:
Howard played just seven minutes in the first half and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy was critical of Howard

Don't know if they have been posted but here's the post game quotes...

thanks Addi for the info ...

missed the game and was glad I could come here instead of searching ...got to get me that Photoshop stuff and learn how to use it...

again you did GREAT !!!

POSTGAME QUOTES

Orlando Magic

Orlando Magic Head Coach Stan Van Gundy

On the overall game...

quote:
Disturbing stat, I'm very happy that we're taking care of business against sub-500 teams, something that we don't do last year, but we need to step up against better teams.

Next stop: 1st devember at Boston, and after that we have a tough trip to the west.

The statement you posted is incorrect. We beat the Raptors who were 5-4 when we faced them. The Pacers are deceptively good as well. Didn't they blow out the defending champs as well?

I don't know how Yao does it in China, but at least here and the US too I hope, we pull down our pants, shorts or underwear to take a dump.

And we do it into toilets or in dire needs, a bush in the bewilderness.

Not on a basketball court.

b687136ada23588a21dafeae3f3fd10c-getty-83010131fm037_rockets_magic.jpg

This pic just needs to be photoshopped!