Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Steve Kyler Chat

T-Time in Nyssa, OR:

Any chance Orlando can swing a trade to grab Ray Felt? I think he would fit in well with the magic and has good size, only problem is he is a Tar Heel...YUCK!

Steve Kyler:

I would put that at less than 20% - two key reasons, Felton is not an upgrade over Jameer Nelson - they both have the same issues. The second is the Magic and Bobcats are in the same division, and you rarely see teams making those kinds of deals.... But playing devils advocate - if JJ Redick could get you Raymond Felton, I'd make that deal.

Robbie in Orlando, FL:

What are the Magic going to do about their horrid bench production? While I love Keith Bogans, it's a sad state when he is literally carrying the entire bench. Develop talent, trade, stay the course? What's the deal?

Steve Kyler:

Robbie - when you only play three guys from the bench, your not gonna get big numbers... the bench number are a direct result of them not seeing minutes.... Most teams are playing 9 to 10 guys on a given night, meaning you have more opportunities to get points, rebounds and assists.... looking strictly at the Bench stats is misleading, because the bench doesn't play.... I had the logic explained to me... Stan is concerned that roughly two weeks in the offense is still not flowing game to game, so he is forcing the issue trying to get his guys into a groove... once that happens, he'll expand the rotation.

Derek in :

would you go back to draft night and choose Mario Chalmers instead of C-Lee? I like Lee but...we need a real pg.Orlando is unable to draft a player they can use right away unless they get the #1 pick.

Steve Kyler:

See that is where we disagree... I like Chalmers, but the Magic did not, and still do not view their weakness as point guard.. all shortcomings aside... On draft night the Magic knew they were passing on Keyon Dooling and Maurice Evans, so they needed a two guard and Courtney was far and away the best player for them... later they signed Pietrus... I don't think Chalmers looks as good in Orlando because of the system Stan runs... I wouldn't have been mad, but seeing how Courtney is on the floor and in the locker room, he is going to be a big part of the Magic's future... he'll be that player everyone hoped JJ was going to be.

Raheem in Minneapolis, MN:

The next player traded will be....??? The team that will make the most moves will be..??? The first coach fired will be???

Steve Kyler:

The next player traded will be.... tough to call... the guys most likely moved at Al Harrington, Gerald Wallace and JJ Redick The team that will make the most moves will be.. does one move count as the most? Mid-season most teams do one roster tweak... two is considered a lot.... I think the Spurs, Magic, Bobcats and Warriors will make a move before the trade deadline.

Ricardo in Brazil:

Magic 2008-09 season: until now, what do you like in this team/roster and what do you feel is wrong or not working?

Steve Kyler:

I like the starting five... the next 5 have a lot of questions... not sold they are a better team than last year... but their first 5 are much improved... Dwight has picked up a couple of nice counter moves in the paint that are creating some interesting matchups... whats working in Dwight... whats not is virtually everything else... shots are not falling, guys are forcing the issue and opposing guards are having their wave with Mr. Fouls - Mickael Pietrus and Jameer "Jump shot" Nelson.

Sako in N.Hollywood:

What do you think about Ariza? Hes going to be a free agent at seasons end. How much will he ask for? Will the Lakers be able to resign him? Any chance Lakers trade Puke Walton?

Steve Kyler:

I like Trevor Ariza a lot... I had him in Orlando and always enjoyed his style of play... I think he is such an under rated talent... playing off of Kobe is doing wonders for his slashing game... if he can stay healthy he might the difference maker... as a result he'll be expensive, especially with so many teams having cash... He's easily on par with $6 million a year players.

eddie in orlando, FL:

hey steve, do you think the magic have any interest in aquiring sergio rodriguez from portland? He could be the back up we need at the pg , do you think he's capable of starting?

Steve Kyler:

You know I joked a lot about Sergio when they were through on Monday - but here is what I can tell you... Portland likes Sergio a lot, and they see him as a solid piece to their team.... he's cheap, he moves the ball... I doubt seriously that he can be pried away from Portland.

eduardo in orlando, FL:

hey Steve , what do you think the magic will do to get better? You think they'll look back into aquiring haslem?

Steve Kyler:

I think they'd love to acquire UD... but just because I want your player doe not mean you will trade him to me... The Magic are very concerned about continuity and chemistry... Do not expect them to rock the boat too much, unless the wheels fall off.

dan in melbourne, fl:

are the magic stuck with b cook for the next two years or is there a chance he could be a throw in with jj for a higher salaried player?

Steve Kyler:

I am not sure for the next two years... but they are stuck with him... and he's none too happy about it.

Robbie in Orlando, FL:

thanks for answering my question Steve...with all this trade pressure the fans are building, the JJ-saga, the holes etc. at the end of the day, Otis isnt going to do anything of significance is he?

Steve Kyler:

Otis could care less what you and I think... he's gonna make his moves his way and gets annoyed at anyone who suggests a better idea... so in my view, the Magic need to make a trade... Just do not seen them being in any hurry to do it.... we'll see what the road does for them.

T-Time in Nyssa, OR:

Any chance Orlando can swing a trade to grab Ray Felt? I think he would fit in well with the magic and has good size, only problem is he is a Tar Heel...YUCK!

Steve Kyler:

I would put that at less than 20% - two key reasons, Felton is not an upgrade over Jameer Nelson - they both have the same issues. The second is the Magic and Bobcats are in the same division, and you rarely see teams making those kinds of deals.... But playing devils advocate - if JJ Redick could get you Raymond Felton, I'd make that deal.

Robbie in Orlando, FL:

What are the Magic going to do about their horrid bench production? While I love Keith Bogans, it's a sad state when he is literally carrying the entire bench. Develop talent, trade, stay the course? What's the deal?

Steve Kyler:

Robbie - when you only play three guys from the bench, your not gonna get big numbers... the bench number are a direct result of them not seeing minutes.... Most teams are playing 9 to 10 guys on a given night, meaning you have more opportunities to get points, rebounds and assists.... looking strictly at the Bench stats is misleading, because the bench doesn't play.... I had the logic explained to me... Stan is concerned that roughly two weeks in the offense is still not flowing game to game, so he is forcing the issue trying to get his guys into a groove... once that happens, he'll expand the rotation.

Derek in :

would you go back to draft night and choose Mario Chalmers instead of C-Lee? I like Lee but...we need a real pg.Orlando is unable to draft a player they can use right away unless they get the #1 pick.

Steve Kyler:

See that is where we disagree... I like Chalmers, but the Magic did not, and still do not view their weakness as point guard.. all shortcomings aside... On draft night the Magic knew they were passing on Keyon Dooling and Maurice Evans, so they needed a two guard and Courtney was far and away the best player for them... later they signed Pietrus... I don't think Chalmers looks as good in Orlando because of the system Stan runs... I wouldn't have been mad, but seeing how Courtney is on the floor and in the locker room, he is going to be a big part of the Magic's future... he'll be that player everyone hoped JJ was going to be.

Raheem in Minneapolis, MN:

The next player traded will be....??? The team that will make the most moves will be..??? The first coach fired will be???

Steve Kyler:

The next player traded will be.... tough to call... the guys most likely moved at Al Harrington, Gerald Wallace and JJ Redick The team that will make the most moves will be.. does one move count as the most? Mid-season most teams do one roster tweak... two is considered a lot.... I think the Spurs, Magic, Bobcats and Warriors will make a move before the trade deadline.

Ricardo in Brazil:

Magic 2008-09 season: until now, what do you like in this team/roster and what do you feel is wrong or not working?

Steve Kyler:

I like the starting five... the next 5 have a lot of questions... not sold they are a better team than last year... but their first 5 are much improved... Dwight has picked up a couple of nice counter moves in the paint that are creating some interesting matchups... whats working in Dwight... whats not is virtually everything else... shots are not falling, guys are forcing the issue and opposing guards are having their wave with Mr. Fouls - Mickael Pietrus and Jameer "Jump shot" Nelson.

Sako in N.Hollywood:

What do you think about Ariza? Hes going to be a free agent at seasons end. How much will he ask for? Will the Lakers be able to resign him? Any chance Lakers trade Puke Walton?

Steve Kyler:

I like Trevor Ariza a lot... I had him in Orlando and always enjoyed his style of play... I think he is such an under rated talent... playing off of Kobe is doing wonders for his slashing game... if he can stay healthy he might the difference maker... as a result he'll be expensive, especially with so many teams having cash... He's easily on par with $6 million a year players.

eddie in orlando, FL:

hey steve, do you think the magic have any interest in aquiring sergio rodriguez from portland? He could be the back up we need at the pg , do you think he's capable of starting?

Steve Kyler:

You know I joked a lot about Sergio when they were through on Monday - but here is what I can tell you... Portland likes Sergio a lot, and they see him as a solid piece to their team.... he's cheap, he moves the ball... I doubt seriously that he can be pried away from Portland.

eduardo in orlando, FL:

hey Steve , what do you think the magic will do to get better? You think they'll look back into aquiring haslem?

Steve Kyler:

I think they'd love to acquire UD... but just because I want your player doe not mean you will trade him to me... The Magic are very concerned about continuity and chemistry... Do not expect them to rock the boat too much, unless the wheels fall off.

dan in melbourne, fl:

are the magic stuck with b cook for the next two years or is there a chance he could be a throw in with jj for a higher salaried player?

Steve Kyler:

I am not sure for the next two years... but they are stuck with him... and he's none too happy about it.

Robbie in Orlando, FL:

thanks for answering my question Steve...with all this trade pressure the fans are building, the JJ-saga, the holes etc. at the end of the day, Otis isnt going to do anything of significance is he?

Steve Kyler:

Otis could care less what you and I think... he's gonna make his moves his way and gets annoyed at anyone who suggests a better idea... so in my view, the Magic need to make a trade... Just do not seen them being in any hurry to do it.... we'll see what the road does for them.

quote:
Derek in :

Steve Kyler:

I definitely wouldn't be mad if Otis drafted Chalmers over Lee. Chalmers is 5th in the league in steals, and he broke Miami franchise record, with 9 steals in one game.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Derek in :

Steve Kyler:

I definitely wouldn't be mad if Otis drafted Chalmers over Lee. Chalmers is 5th in the league in steals, and he broke Miami franchise record, with 9 steals in one game.

Really? He also has been doing next to nothing the past couple games and losing minutes to Chris Quinn. Courtney just put up 3 steals in about 13 minutes last night. I'd still take Lee over Chalmers at this point.

Chalmers stock fell and he was a projected second rounder. I'm sure most of us would have been disappointed if we had taken him there. And if I remember, according to somebody's inside news here, Otis considered a trade into the 2nd, but he was off the board before the pick(s) he could have acquired.

a more realistic "regret" would be somebody like Darrell Arthur. But C-Lee looks pretty solid early on.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Derek in :

Steve Kyler:

Really? He also has been doing next to nothing the past couple games and losing minutes to Chris Quinn. Courtney just put up 3 steals in about 13 minutes last night. I'd still take Lee over Chalmers at this point.

I don't have anything against Lee, I actually like the kid, I was just stating that I wouldn't be mad if Otis choose Chalmers.

Chalmers average 30 mpg, and if your backup suppose to get around 15-18 mpg, how is he losing minutes?

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

Chalmers stock fell and he was a projected second rounder. I'm sure most of us would have been disappointed if we had taken him there. And if I remember, according to somebody's inside news here, Otis considered a trade into the 2nd, but he was off the board before the pick(s) he could have acquired.

a more realistic "regret" would be somebody like Darrell Arthur. But C-Lee looks pretty solid early on.

Good point, after watching Arthur so far this season his defense is vastly underrated, and he's rebounded the ball very well. Anybody who saw him play heads up against Amare had to come away impressed.

A bit off topic, I have to admit I was wrong about Jason Thompson however. He looks pretty solid.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

Good point, after watching Arthur so far this season his defense is vastly underrated, and he's rebounded the ball very well. Anybody who saw him play heads up against Amare had to come away impressed.

A bit off topic, I have to admit I was wrong about Jason Thompson however. He looks pretty solid.

He looks very solid. He is playing out of position and still putting up big numbers for a rookie.

The real question is, if we drafted Chalmers or Arthur, would they be playing? I am betting they would not be getting the minutes here they they are getting at Miami and Memphis, and so their production would be way down in comparison.