Sign in to follow this  
babad

Sergio rodriguez

I've always liked Sergio Rodriguez.

It would be awesome to see him play here. It would push Jameer harder, and like I said about Javaris, it would give Nelson a run for his money. Sergio will certainly bring more than what AJ provides us. He is a good passer, tall and can knock down the open shots. Exactly what we need. Not to mention, young.

BUT JJ Redick will never land us Sergio. Perhaps a 1st round pick into possible deal, but Sergio is likely to have better value than JJ.

The thing with Sergio though is good at making his teammates better by recognizing the cutters and creating opportunities for his teammates. Which is clearly what is lacking from our PG play right now.

SVG is a PG killer.

Chris Paul can come here and will not play as well under SVG as he as under Byron Scott.

SVG is a front court coach. Proof is when he was in Miami, Lamar Odom played out of his mind. Hedo plays out of his mind in Orlando. The PGs in Miami did not play great under SVG.

Sergio will be a middle of the pack type stud when it's all said and done...he'll never be a good defender, maybe not even a serviceable defender, but he will end up playing much like Jose Calderon, probably not as gifted offensively because he doesn't really have the 3 point prowess that Calderon has, but he is taller, faster and more athletic...will definitely get to the hoop more than Jose...

oh well...

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

SVG is a PG killer.

Chris Paul can come here and will not play as well under SVG as he as under Byron Scott.

SVG is a front court coach. Proof is when he was in Miami, Lamar Odom played out of his mind. Hedo plays out of his mind in Orlando. The PGs in Miami did not play great under SVG.

Wade?

I don't think SVG killed Nelson. Nelson has been mediocre ever since.

here is a nice post on Sergio

quote:
Posted by purelogick on 11/07/08 at 9:01PM

Sheesh, some of you guys are HILARIOUS....

C) For all those who say "Sergio is a crybaby! I don't see Bayless whining!" you are complete, and total morons. Seriously. Unlike Sergio, who has been dealing with inconsistent PT for the last TWO YEARS, Bayless has been a Blazer for FIVE games and HE AVERAGES MORE MINUTES THAN SERGIO!!! This despite having an assist to turnover rating of 1:2 and a Hollinger PER of NEGATIVE 7.76. Compared to Sergio's 2.7:1 (currently 7.5:1) and PER of 13.09 (Which is similar to Blake's career stats.) I don't think Bayless will be complaining anytime soon. Seriously, please start to use your brains. I'm calling out tblazerfan and BRoyFTW, c'mon guys.

D) Diogu is a scrub, and he knows it. He is happy to be on the roster.

It is true, Sergio is not the greatest defender. BUT GUESS WHAT??? Neither is Steve Blake. Come to think of it, how many starting PG's in the league can be called GREAT defenders? Nash? Billups? Iverson? Calderon? Parker? No, No, No, NO, and No. I can only think of four...Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, Devin Harris, and Deron Williams. Now if KP could trade ANY of the Blazer PG's for one of those four, I would say HELL YEAH!!! Since that won't happen, shut up about Sergio's defense! BLAKE IS NO BETTER anyone who say Tony Parker embarrass him in crunch time can attest to that (Personally I would have used Batum on Parker more.)

The job of the point guard is to run the offense, create opportunities for the scorers, with minimal turnovers, and occasionally A) hit open shots and B) create for himself. If a PG cannot do all of these things it does not matter how good his defense is, he is failing in his job as floor general. Blake does THREE of these five things well. Unfortunately, he cannot A) create for himself or B) create for the scorers. These are most important. Yes, he does a good job handing the ball off to Roy. Yes, he has a respectable A/T ratio. Yes, he is a better shooter than Sergio (marginally). BUT he bogs down the offense because he doesn't do anything other than give the ball to Roy or LaMarcus. Which is why our starters play so ugly.

SERGIO on the other hand, is a masterful playmaker. He creates for Rudy, Martell, Batum, LaMarcus...pretty much anyone he plays with. That is by far and away his best attribute. He also does this with a minimum of turnovers, all the while being given a minimum of minutes. And no one can deny his main weaknesses from last year (long-range shooting and defense) have improved substantially. No one likes when their hard work goes ignored and unrewarded...it is completely understandable why he is frustrated. (tough to get much of a rthym shooting 1-2 shots per game)

ANYWAYS to any of you who read this I would like to say thanks. As you can see I am not a Sergio fanboy as I think Bayless is the PG of the future. I am not blaming Nate, or calling for him to be fired. I do not think Sergio should start now, or even ever. He is a backup, with Rudy. Both are capable of starting, for most teams in the league...just not Portland. All I'm saying is that his frustration is understandable. He has improved where the coaches asked, he has performed when given the opportunities; yet he has not been rewarded or even acknowledged. He loves the game too much to stand it. It is breaking his heart...anyone who loves basketball as much as Sergio can understand how he feels.

Also please remember that Sergio has not asked for a trade, and he cannot control what his Spanish agent (who has no influence with the team AT ALL) does or does not say. So to say he is classless is a little harsh. Sergio's comments on the situation are based upon direct questioning from the media, he wasn't volunteering this info for all to hear/read, he was merely answering honestly and from the heart. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks and GO BLAZERS!!!http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=17627814#p17627814

removed the unnecessary parts.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

Sergio will be a middle of the pack type stud when it's all said and done...he'll never be a good defender, maybe not even a serviceable defender, but he will end up playing much like Jose Calderon, probably not as gifted offensively because he doesn't really have the 3 point prowess that Calderon has, but he is taller, faster and more athletic...will definitely get to the hoop more than Jose...

oh well...

Neither is Nelson a good defender. And to get someone like Calderon is a huge improvement compared to Jameer both offensively and defensively. Also, I think the extra length will help us too.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

SVG is a PG killer.

Wade?

I don't think SVG killed Nelson. Nelson has been mediocre ever since.

Wade is not a PG.