Sign in to follow this  
asha'man

What is the first attribute we are looking for in our new PG??

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

Could C Lee really be worse than Dooling?

Dooling did a very good job as a back up PG last year. He played SOLID D, provided energy, spark to rest of 2nd team, and also brought a toughness that the rest of the team lacked, still does.

Jameer should be coming off the bench.

I really can't think of any other team in the NBA that would use Jameer as a starting point guard.

Maybe like 2 or 3 if I thought real hard.

I was actually thinking of Sergio Rodriguez of Blazers. His defense is below average but he is a pass-first PG with great passing skill and creativity.

p.s. Is there anyway we could get Billups?? The fact that Denver currently owns him makes me hopeful.. They may even be willing to take Jameer's contract!!

quote:
Originally posted by leissaK:

I really can't think of any other team in the NBA that would use Jameer as a starting point guard.

OK, don't hurt yourself, let me try... nope it isn't hard at all.

This is obviously conjecture, but here goes!

1. World champiopn Celtics, Yes Jameer would do, and does a better job than Rhondo, easy.

2. The Knicks.

3. The Raptors, Meer pretty much owned both in playoffs

4. The Grizzlies, being that OJ is a rookie I'd say Meer gets the start, but this one is definately debateable, and Conley is good.

5.The Cavs

6.Pacers, meer usually owns Tinsley

7. The Bucks

8.Bobcats

9.The heat, Chalmers has upside, but Meer will take this Green hand easy

10. The Kings

Wow, it may have been easier to list the teams Meer couldn't start on!!!

11.The Warriors - the don't even have one right now

12. The Thunder

13.Portland

14. OMG meer > Telfair the Timberwolves!

Where are all these superior PGs anyway!!!

15.Possibly Houston though Alston is playing tough this year, but still meer is in the same class.

Well Meer isn't Allstar material no, but IMO is a solid starter, what was TO/game ratio last season, I seem to remember it being pretty good.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

quote:
Originally posted by leissaK:

OK, don't hurt yourself, let me try... nope it isn't hard at all.

This is obviously conjecture, but here goes!

1. World champiopn Celtics, Yes Jameer would do, and does a better job than Rhondo, easy.

2. The Knicks.

3. The Raptors, Meer pretty much owned both in playoffs

4. The Grizzlies, being that OJ is a rookie I'd say Meer gets the start, but this one is definately debateable, and Conley is good.

5.The Cavs

6.Pacers, meer usually owns Tinsley

7. The Bucks

8.Bobcats

9.The heat, Chalmers has upside, but Meer will take this Green hand easy

10. The Kings

Wow, it may have been easier to list the teams Meer couldn't start on!!!

11.The Warriors - the don't even have one right now

12. The Thunder

13.Portland

14. OMG meer > Telfair the Timberwolves!

Where are all these superior PGs anyway!!!

15.Possibly Houston though Alston is playing tough this year, but still meer is in the same class.

Well Meer isn't Allstar material no, but IMO is a solid starter, what was TO/game ratio last season, I seem to remember it being pretty good.

Sorry but i can

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

quote:

quote:

I think that Nelson is a great option off the bench. I do think the pg needs some size to defend a passing lane. I don't think that the list I made is not attainable. I think there are at least 10 other pg's I'd like to have over Nelson. Nelson is average and should not have gotten the money he did. Nelson is going to have good nights and make everyone scratch their heads. But, it's only going to be against pg's around the same height, slower then him, or off their own game.

Ok, I like a good challenge. Name any 10 point guards, not just current ones: any point guard in league history, and I will prove to you, by your own standards, that they are substandard point guards for our team needs. And as a bonus, just to keep you from making an obvious pick that would fail: Chris Paul is too short.

So 10 more from there. This should be hilarious.

Too easy:

M. Johnson 13 19.5 7.2 11.2 24.1

O. Robertson 14 25.7 7.5 9.5 23.2

I. Thomas 13 19.2 3.6 9.3 18.1

J. Stockton 19 13.1 2.7 10.5 21.8

B. Cousy 14 18.4 5.2 7.5 19.8

W. Frazier 13 18.9 5.9 6.1 19.1

J. Kidd 13 14.5 6.7 9.2 18.9

T. Archibald 13 18.8 2.3 7.4 18.0

S. Nash 11 14.0 2.9 7.6 19.9

G. Payton 17 16.3 3.9 6.7 18.9

Ok, this is unbelievably easy. By your standard, they should be at least 6'2", has speed, a good defender, capable of penetration, a good outside shooter, good vision, good distributer. So the reasons these point guars are sub-par by your standards are as follows:

Magic Johnson - had no range on his shot until late in his career. Not great at penetration, and instead played a lot out of the post(for obvious reasons). Also, not a good defender.

Oscar Robertson - not a great defender or shooter.

Stockton - too short. Slow. Not a good penetrator.

Isiah Thomas - too short. Prototype shoot-first pg. Almost no range on his shot.

Bob Cousy - too short. Shot awful percentages by modern standards. Never averaged over 10apg despite playing at a pace of well over 110 possessions a game, indicating a lack of court vision. Slow and unathletic.

Walt Frazier - Not quick. Limited range.

Jason Kidd - terrible shooter even in his prime. Not fast.

Tiny Archibald - short. No outside shot. And it's not one of your requirements per se, but we are talking about a player who once averaged 26.3 fga per game for a season.

Steve Nash - can't defend a lampshade.

Gary Payton - not quick. Weak outside shooter.

That was fun. Man, those guys all suck.

That got to be the post of the year. How could you say Magic, wasn't a great penetrator, when that was a big part of his game.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that Nelson is a great option off the bench. I do think the pg needs some size to defend a passing lane. I don't think that the list I made is not attainable. I think there are at least 10 other pg's I'd like to have over Nelson. Nelson is average and should not have gotten the money he did. Nelson is going to have good nights and make everyone scratch their heads. But, it's only going to be against pg's around the same height, slower then him, or off their own game.

Ok, I like a good challenge. Name any 10 point guards, not just current ones: any point guard in league history, and I will prove to you, by your own standards, that they are substandard point guards for our team needs. And as a bonus, just to keep you from making an obvious pick that would fail: Chris Paul is too short.

So 10 more from there. This should be hilarious.

Too easy:

M. Johnson 13 19.5 7.2 11.2 24.1

O. Robertson 14 25.7 7.5 9.5 23.2

I. Thomas 13 19.2 3.6 9.3 18.1

J. Stockton 19 13.1 2.7 10.5 21.8

B. Cousy 14 18.4 5.2 7.5 19.8

W. Frazier 13 18.9 5.9 6.1 19.1

J. Kidd 13 14.5 6.7 9.2 18.9

T. Archibald 13 18.8 2.3 7.4 18.0

S. Nash 11 14.0 2.9 7.6 19.9

G. Payton 17 16.3 3.9 6.7 18.9

Ok, this is unbelievably easy. By your standard, they should be at least 6'2", has speed, a good defender, capable of penetration, a good outside shooter, good vision, good distributer. So the reasons these point guars are sub-par by your standards are as follows:

Magic Johnson - had no range on his shot until late in his career. Not great at penetration, and instead played a lot out of the post(for obvious reasons). Also, not a good defender.

Oscar Robertson - not a great defender or shooter.

Stockton - too short. Slow. Not a good penetrator.

Isiah Thomas - too short. Prototype shoot-first pg. Almost no range on his shot.

Bob Cousy - too short. Shot awful percentages by modern standards. Never averaged over 10apg despite playing at a pace of well over 110 possessions a game, indicating a lack of court vision. Slow and unathletic.

Walt Frazier - Not quick. Limited range.

Jason Kidd - terrible shooter even in his prime. Not fast.

Tiny Archibald - short. No outside shot. And it's not one of your requirements per se, but we are talking about a player who once averaged 26.3 fga per game for a season.

Steve Nash - can't defend a lampshade.

Gary Payton - not quick. Weak outside shooter.

That was fun. Man, those guys all suck.

That got to be the post of the year. How could you say Magic, wasn't a great penetrator, when that was a big part of his game.

I'd like to congratulate you on completely ignoring the post I wrote just two posts later that explained that point(as well as a basic overview of the difference between leading and penetrating in transition and taking a man off the dribble for penetration in the halfcourt, which is clearly what I was referring to. In the halfcourt, Magic liked to play out of the post, because he had the post moves to be one of the all-time great centers.)